2005 Passat TDI CV axle replacement

Blackbug1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Do you have to replace all bolts when replacing your CV axle? I see where it say the axle bolt is a stretch bolt and must be replaced. But do not see where it says 6x10mm triple square bolts on the inner joint-flange are stretch bolts and need replacing. Matter of fact is says, remember, torque specs assume clean threads - rusty bolts/threads will give a false torque reading talking about the 6x10mm triple square bolts at 57 ft-lb. So that sounds like to me these bolts are used again and not replaced. Also seems like the torque spec for the axle bolt is high 140 ft-lb +180o turn. Needing installed today 2/19 already removed.
Thanks in advance for your replies!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Those inner 6 triple square bolts are reusable. Clean and torque to spec.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
The torque for the outer axle bolt depends on the type of bolt. VW had a revision on them.
The torque that you mentioned is for the original hex head bolt with the heavy captive washer.
It takes far less torque for the revised 12 point headed bolt. I don't have the figure on hand but this just to forewarn you not to try and stretch the 12 point bolt 140 ft/lb +180*.

Last edited: