1998 VW Jetta TDI @VW of Langhorne

Requiescat In Pace
Burlington, NJ {35 minutes from Phila Int"l
TDI
all the TDI's on the lot
JUst traded in on a 2006 VW Jetta TDI!!!!

We have just traded a 1998 VW Jetta TDI finished in Tornado Red w/black velour interior. It is a GL model w/ crank windows.

This vehicle was bought new here at our store in 1998 when Henry{our customer} was at the grand age of 82. Well, Henry is now 90 years old and decided that since VW came back out w/ his favorite color{Tornado Red}, he needed a new TDI!!!

Now the good part, this vehicle has only 60k on her. She is equipped w/ a 5sp manual trans and good clutch.

Vin#3VWRFH7WM262772

This TDI is as shiny as the day she was sold, however, she does need a new front bumper as Henry ran into a curb while parking one day{pics to anyone who emails me at CFarnham@VWofLanghorne.com

Now to put a price on a 1998 w/ 60k!!!???

My USED car dept has put a price of $10,900. For this price , I will have the bumper fixed.

This is genuinely a virgin when it comes to a TDI and looking for a new home. Take the $10,900 and divide by atleast 5 GOOD years of value.That's $2180 a year + fuel folks.

Regards,Chris

Chris Farnham
VW of Langhorne
609-668-0572 CELL

Last edited:

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
Goes ta show - all of a sudden the TDI business is a seller's market, and the buyers have gotten irrational. A decision to pay $3 to $4K over the retail book, even with only 60K miles, is irrational. Buy a gasser for MUCH less and grin when buying your unleaded!

Requiescat In Pace
TDI
all the TDI's on the lot
tomo366 said:
Did they change the timing belt and the bumper???
I committed those repairs to my prospectful clientsat the price of $10,900. They were not necessary for the used car guys to sell it at $10,900.

I also learned the hard way on this vehicle! Two fold!

Chris

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
My suggestion to you then is warn someboby that timimg belt is 8 years old and has 60,000 miles
I personally wouldn't drive that car until the belt is changed that could come back to haunt the used car dept........

Requiescat In Pace
TDI
all the TDI's on the lot
tomo366 said:
My suggestion to you then is warn someboby that timimg belt is 8 years old and has 60,000 miles
I personally wouldn't drive that car until the belt is changed that could come back to haunt the used car dept........
I did exactly that and was told that the client relises that the timing belt must be done. It was discussed w/ them. I do what I can do Tom!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Maybe it's time to put my '97 on the block: 52K, always garaged, nicely modded. Hmmm.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Since the car is sold and the question of value came up once again, here's something to consider:

There are 2 ways to consider this graph. One is for the TDI market as a whole. TDI's vary in value, as they vary in the number of miles, condition, etc. Some sell low, near the point marked 'A', because either the vehicle is worse for wear, or the owner has priced the car lower than average. Some cars sell high, near the point marked 'B', because the car is in better shape, or the owner is demanding a higher price.

The other way to consider this graph is for a specific vehicle. There are a number of similar vehicles, say, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI's out there that have roughly the same mileage, options, and condition. Despite being essentially the same in terms of value, some go for a higher price, and some for a lower price, even in the same market. Maybe in one case someone priced his car higher and got that price. Maybe in another case the seller didn't know the value or needed to sell quick and priced it low. Maybe a buyer did some good negotiating and got the price lowered. So there's a spread where some people are paying more (or less) than other people for cars in essentially the same condition.

Prospective buyers gravitate towards the lower price. If a TDI comes up on the market, and the price is set somewhere in the middle of the curve, the prospective buyer looks at that and says, "I don't want to pay that price, because I've seen similar cars go for price $A." They saw a few cars go at the lower price, and expect the same sort of deal.

Prospective sellers gravitate towards the higher price. They look at the market, and rather than seeing what the average price is for a TDI in their car's condition, they say, "But I just saw a guy last week who sold his for price $B, so I should demand $B." They see a case where a car sold for more than average, and come to expect that they should get that same sort of sale.

The seller labels some folks "lookey-looers" because they aren't willing to pay the price that he expects, which is towards the high side. Potential buyers say that the seller is "price gouging" because they see the deals that other people have found, and want the same lower price.

Bottom line: Sellers expect to get the higher price, and turn a blind eye to the fact that those few vehicles that got a premium price don't qualify as an 'average' sale for a vehicle in that particular condition, -- they ignore the 9 cars that sold for less, and want the price that the 1 guy got for $B. Buyers, on the other hand, turn a blind eye to the 9 higher-priced cars (at the same value/condition), and want to buy one at the price that the 1 low-ball car went for at $A.

There will be a few deals at for buyers at $A. There will be a few scores for sellers at $B. But we all need to realize that these are at the extremes, not the average. And the above case of this A3 going for $10,900 needing a TB job and bumper probably qualifies as more of a $B.

DrinkinDiesel

TDI
Couple o' diesel benz
I won't talk smack about Chris, he is a good guy.
But *** are people thinking? Not the dealership, the buyers.
This car was 16,345 brand new including delivery and warranty.
But as dealerships go this ain't so bad, there's a Volvo dealer around here who details there little old lady 240 trade ins from the 1980s and sells them for $8000 and they all have over 100k miles. At least VW will hit 200k easy

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
$100 says he didn't realize the thread was from '06!
I first saw this and said "$10,900 for a 14 year old car!", then realized it was from 06 which makes the price a little easier to consider.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I committed those repairs to my prospectful clientsat the price of $10,900. They were not necessary for the used car guys to sell it at $10,900.

I also learned the hard way on this vehicle! Two fold!

Chris
Exactly why I will never go near any "used car guys" EVER.