Door seal leak

kbone

TDI
Jetta GLS TDI, 1999, Black
I have read that the first couple model years of the mark
IV jetta had water leakage problems. I have a 99.5 sedan
and sure enough water leaks through the drivers front door
seal. The water drips out above the "tweeter" where the
side mirror connects to the door. The door does not look like it is out of alignment and closes well. Is there a way pull the door to the body to increase the pressure on the seal? Or do I need a new door seal?

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
Does it happen as your driving? I know that mine (2003 Golf) will drip when opening the door after driving or parking in rain. The first time I opened my door in the winter most of th snow off the roof ended up inside.

kbone

TDI
Jetta GLS TDI, 1999, Black
When I am driving. Canada, I bet it is beautiful up there.
I want to take my family to Prince Edward Isle some day.
Thanks for the reply

gtveloce

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Silver 5dr Golf TDI 5spd (RIP)
peteman said:
Does it happen as your driving? I know that mine (2003 Golf) will drip when opening the door after driving or parking in rain. The first time I opened my door in the winter most of th snow off the roof ended up inside.
Exact same problem here on a 03 Golf 4dr. It happens both when driving in the rain and when opening the door after it was parked in the rain.

My problem is on the passenger side front door. I notice the top part of the pass door is not flushed with the rear door (unlike the driver side) and I can physically push the door further in by force.
I am browsing through the board to see if anyone has done an alignment on the hinges but without luck. :(
I just talked to our painter at the studio and we will take a look at it tomorrow. He says it should be easy to line them up again. :rolleyes:
Got my torx ready!:cool:

gtveloce

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, he said the easiest fix will be - before I can ask - he bent the door by force already - worked pretty good. Everything line up and flush!
See if it will leak again when it rains.

mailman

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Black Jetta TDI
Yep. I had the same problem on the highway in a heavy rain. Water leaked in right near the tweeter on my passenger side front door. Dripped onto the floor.

My problem was just dirty seals. I cleaned the seals and applied some Gummi Pfledge to them. After that, the leaking subsided.

Something for you to try before tearing off the seals or bending your door! :eek:

gtveloce

Veteran Member
TDI
mailman said:
Something for you to try before tearing off the seals or bending your door! :eek:
Yep. It was scary when the painter was bending the door.

I cleaned the seal, lubed, carefully put them back together and it still leaked.
After the bend, I try fitting a piece of thin paper between the seal and the door, it is much tigher now, the paper can no longer slide freely.
The test will be the next heavy rain. :D

gtveloce

Veteran Member
TDI
Gummi Pfledge - I should get some too.

I used something else, I forgot the name of it, but I got it from a bodyshop supply place. It's kinda "Armor All" but it works on seal also, I had to do that every oil change on the Cabrio to keep the top from squeaking.