Injection pump

dukku

TDI
1.9 PD-TDI AJM
That was it !
I was interested in this for a friend who was curious t do some experiments on the fuel temperature sensor (like tuningboxes do).
So the brown-blue and yellow-blue are the fuel temp sensor leads.He wants to put a resistor to send altered information to the ecu.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
I have a pump on an alh that barely draws fuel (yes, it's primed, yes, drawing from separate container) and obviously barely sends fuel to the injectors. No obvious fuel leaks. Is it salvageable ? Thanks.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
ninedee_golf_tdi said:
I have a pump on an alh that barely draws fuel (yes, it's primed, yes, drawing from separate container) and obviously barely sends fuel to the injectors. No obvious fuel leaks. Is it salvageable ? Thanks.
Sounds like what my does right now.:) Is the car manual? ifso try push start it by towing it in second or third gear and get rpms over 2k and see if it woul fire up.

TaylorM

TDI
2001 1.9 golf 75k miles
YAAAAY a week later and finally fixed!! Ends up it was a whole mess of problems. For one i had the timing belt changed and water pump replaced by my normal mechanic who claimed he knew how to work on volkswagons, bad decision. Maybe regular volkswagons,but obviously not a TDI. The diesel mechanic i took it to said the belt tensioner was not replaced and put back on correctly. The belt became rounded off from being loose and being dragged across the pullies which caused it to eventually jump a tooth and cause the IP to stop working. This was all well and good, problem solved, after a new belt, tensioner and re timed, still no start, ***!! ok back to the drawing board. After another whole day of diagnosis and still no vag-com codes being thrown my mechanic decided to go over the whole electrical system, he found it odd that my battery kept dying. He "thinks" it was a short in the stereo system due to my dumb@$$ installing my stereo myself, he said he fixed some wires and it worked after that, he said the problem with the power caused the ECU to malfunction which caused the car not to start, since the engine turned but there just was no start it had everyone stummped. Has anyone heard of that before?? A stereo system messing with the ECU???? I didnt think that was possible. So now its "fixed" it runs and is all well and good..........i can only hope it truly is fixed.

cctoronto

TDI
Silver 2003 Golf GL
Well, I'm looking forward to the veteran comments on this wrap up story by TM...

Is the motor good..? or..?

TaylorM

TDI
2001 1.9 golf 75k miles
i think so, i get the car back tomorrow so ill see. My mechanic said he checked the compression and he said nothing seems to be wrong with the valves. So im praying to god the timing belt issue didn't cause any damage. I trust his advice, he is the one who talked me into buying a TDI, hes a close friend of mine and he seems to know what hes doing. He has been working on TDI's and diesels for years so im pretty confident, but you never know. If all else fails, ill be off to wild rose.....

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
You had the K line plugged in plus something else. YES the ECU monitors the radio, part of the anti-theft system. Actully it's the immobilizer system. It runs for a second, dies, key light flashes on the dash....repeat...

TaylorM

TDI
2001 1.9 golf 75k miles
well thats the thing it didnt die and the key light never flashed. I actually got no warning lights on the dash and my power still worked in the car. The vag-com showed no codes or anything. What is the K-line??

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
It's also possible that the power interruption is due to a faulty relay 109- a common problem on the early A4s.

-Rich

Nutsnbolts

TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
It is an A4, but not considered and early one. Early would be 1999.5 and early (built pre-May) 2000. There were several running changes to these cars during these years. In fact, many things about the '01 electricals are different from the previous model years, like going to more advanced ECM and ABS boards.

Based on your other post about blowing immobilizer fuses, I don't think we have enough info yet to nail down a cause. The radio should be suspect as many here have suggested.

Let us know what happens with this...

-Rich

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
TaylorM said:
well thats the thing it didnt die and the key light never flashed. I actually got no warning lights on the dash and my power still worked in the car. The vag-com showed no codes or anything. What is the K-line??
kline issue

grizzlydiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 speed
Drivbiwire.... youre my hero. I am familiar with the DB2 rotary pump on my 6.2L diesel, and could not for the life of me figure out why our ALH engines, with rotary pumps, needed a chip or a tune for fuel delivery. This was the most in depth, and actually helpful article i have read on the operation of the fuel delivery system of the ALH TDi engine. Thanks so much for the time and effort.

sb10

TDI
2002 Golf
My car has not started since before Christmas, I have always felt it was the IP. I tried to start it for a LONG time, while there was no fuel in the line. I have replaced the seal from dieselgeek and now the fuel holds, but it will not start. I finally pulled the top 2 seals to check the plunger and although it seemed fine...there were a fair amount of metal shavings that the magnet had grabbed. This leads me to believe my pump is DOA...I'm looking for a second opinion. Anyone please.

Thanks,
scott

Last edited:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
sb10 said:
My car has not started since before Christmas, I have always felt it was the IP. I tried to start it for a LONG time, while there was no fuel in the line. I have replaced the seal from dieselgeek and now the fuel holds, but it will not start. I finally pulled the top 2 seals to check the plunger and although it seemed fine...there were a fair amount of metal shavings that the magnet had grabbed. This leads me to believe my pump is DOA...I'm looking for a second opinion. Anyone please.

Thanks
scott
Can you post some pics of pump and metal shavings? also what exact seals you replaced? was it just head seal or completely resealed?

sb10

TDI
2002 Golf
Can you post some pics of pump and metal shavings? also what exact seals you replaced? was it just head seal or completely resealed?

I'm sorry, but in our exuberance to check out the shavings...we removed them. As for the seals...first the o-ring seal that fails, then the top seal that exposes the g81 and then the next level that exposes the the delivery plunger. We have not replaced the last 2 seals as the shavings lead us to feel it's toast. The shavings were small but metal, one was the size of a small pin-head. Thanks,
scott

B52guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, 5 speed
TDIRookie said:
FWIW, the whole Bosch VE manual (66 pages) that this came from is available from SAE's website (www.sae.org/ do a search for Bosch VE) in a PDF download for $14.95 US. I actually downloaded it this morning to use on my Dodge Cummins truck, wasn't sure that it was the same pump as the VW. IMHO, for $14.95, you can't beat it. Everything anyone wants to know about the way that the pump works should be in here. I used to write this stuff for a living and I would really recommend it.

Joe

I have looked around this site trying to locate that manual with out success. Do you have a more specific link, or know of some place that I could find it.

gjlove

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI 2001
No vacuum from Injector Pump

I have a 2001 Golf with 179,000 miles on it. Recently had a problem with hard starting even in warm (50's) weather. Finally it would not start and the immobilizer light would light up. Took it to VW dealer who reprogrammed the keys and the car started and ran fine for about 500 miles.
Now the car will not start. There is no fuel in the clear line after the fuel filter. I replace the fuel filter with no luck. I disconnected the fuel line at the Injector pump and can draw fuel with a vacuum pump. However, when I reconnect the line to the injector pump and crank the engine there is no fuel in the clear line. If I connect a vacuum guage to the inlet on the Injector pump, there is no vacuum developed on cranking. The Bently manual says to check to see if I can hear the fuel cutoff valve opening when I turn the key. I do hear a clicking sound when the key is turned on and turned off coming from the Injector Pump, so I believe the valve is working. Any suggestions on where to go from here? Do I need a new Injector Pump? The area under the Injector Pump also appears "wet" as if there may have been some fuel leaking at some time. Never noticed anything under the car (No bottom shield in place.)

Nutsnbolts

TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
It is possible that the seals on your pump are leaking, but getting it running first would be more helpful to that diagnosis. Here's where to go next: remove the return line from the injection pump (this line goes back to the "T" on the top of the fuel filter). Plug the line with something so that it cannot draw air. Then connect your vacuum pump to the return line outlet on the injection pump and draw a vacuum. Eventually, you should see fuel coming out of the injection pump, and at that point, the tranfer pump should be primed and ready to go. Reconnect everything and give it a shot. While you are drawing the vacuum to prime the pump, check the supply side (clear) line for fuel and air. It is possible that the o-rings on the "T" are allowing too much air into the system and the low pressure transfer pump is losing its prime.

-Rich

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI
Greg, during that air purge / bleed, you'll also need to crack some of the injector pipe nuts loose slightly, to let air escape from there until fuel seeps out while cranking.
Larry.

chemglider

TDI
1981 Pickup
Injector Pump Not Pulling Fuel From Tank

I am a high school science teacher and a backyard mechanic with decent mechanical skills. As a summer project, I recently purchased a 1981 vw gas pickup that was in the process of being converted to a turbo diesel. I purchased the 1977-1984 Bentley diesel service manual. I am not getting fuel to the Injection Pump. I used a primer bulb to pump the fuel to the filter and past then clamp the hose to maintain pressure. (I placed a piece of clear hose in the fuel line to let me know if the fuel is in the line). When I hook the fuel line to the IP, the fuel seems to run back to the tank. When I crank the engine, the IP does not draw the fuel. I read this thread and could not find a solution. Any suggestions are truly appreciated.

aNUT

TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
What has been done to the original gasoline fuel sender and lift pump? I haven't ever gotten intimate with an old gasser. (unless you count my mower) That vintage rabbit diesel had a water separater post sender, but you don't need that if you run a newer filter with a water separator...like one off a 96-2005/6 Golf/Jetta/Beetle/Passat.

Maybe there is a gas lift pump that's in the way, broken, or not getting power. That should be removed. It's not really designed to move the amount of fuel required for a fuel cooled and lubricated pump. (~20gph at cruising speed)

You can always run the feed and return line into a jar (or other suitable vessel) of diesel to see if your results differ. You could try to prime with vacuum pump.(more effective than a bulb) Perhaps the low pressure lift pump, integral with your IP, may have stuck vanes (from sitting around for the last umpteen years) and is non functional.

I encourage you to start your own thread for this project; as you'll probably have more questions, and it will be more visible, pertinent, and searchable if you post here.

Welcome aboard, and happy wrenching.

chemglider said:
I am a high school science teacher and a backyard mechanic with decent mechanical skills. As a summer project, I recently purchased a 1981 vw gas pickup that was in the process of being converted to a turbo diesel. I purchased the 1977-1984 Bentley diesel service manual. I am not getting fuel to the Injection Pump. I used a primer bulb to pump the fuel to the filter and past then clamp the hose to maintain pressure. (I placed a piece of clear hose in the fuel line to let me know if the fuel is in the line). When I hook the fuel line to the IP, the fuel seems to run back to the tank. When I crank the engine, the IP does not draw the fuel. I read this thread and could not find a solution. Any suggestions are truly appreciated.

chemglider

TDI
1981 Pickup
I bypassed the electric fuel pump. I'll try the isolated fuel system (jar) idea. I'll also start a new thread for this project. Thanks for the reply.

Dieselson

TDI
86 Jetta
Is the fuel cut off solenoid being energized and opening up to permit fuel to the pump?
On my Bosch pump, the fuel cut off solenoid also acts as a check valve to prevent the fuel from running back to the pump.

chemglider

TDI
1981 Pickup
I hear a click sound so I assume the fuel cutoff solenoid is operating. I have two other injection pumps I received when I purchased the truck. I was told there is a difference for injection pumps used for turbos. What is the difference? The other pumps I have look like the one that is in the truck.

aNUT

TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
chemglider said:
I hear a click sound so I assume the fuel cutoff solenoid is operating. I have two other injection pumps I received when I purchased the truck. I was told there is a difference for injection pumps used for turbos. What is the difference? The other pumps I have look like the one that is in the truck.
The turbo pump has a diaphragm valve on top. It's attached to a pressure line from the intake. Basically, pressure on that guy moves stuff in the linkage on the pump and it injects more fuel under boost.