www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old Yesterday, 10:04   #1096
JeffsSportWagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Night blue metallic is a beautiful color. I ended up with a white car because that's what our dealer had with a manual transmission (never titled, not bought back). And after 16 years of driving an Indigo Blue car I was ready for a change. However, I've seen a few night blue cars since and wish there had been one available. I like what you've done.

Thanks! My favorite color is blue, yet this is only my 3rd blue car. I've had 5 silver cars and was coming out of my 6th ruby red so my first choice was Silk Blue. When I found this one it was the perfect combo of Blue over Gray pleather, clean vehicle history/condition and price. Having lived with it for a while now, I'm loving the color as I have yet to see another Night Blue in person but I've seen a few Silk Blue ones.

Totally agree about modern paint systems, as the craft has evolved to the point that they know the absolute minimum amount of material they can use. I miss the days of multi-coat clear systems. Even the Mrs's 535i has quite a lot of paint chips and pitting after just 3 years and 60k miles which I feel is not acceptable for a vehicle that was $69,000 new.

I did do some minor paint correction on mine, but I grew up next door to my Grandfather's paint and body shop so I know it could be worse.

"I have a car-sickness. I need to be checked into the HENRY Ford Clinic." -Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor
JeffsSportWagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:18   #1097
JeffsSportWagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Night blue metallic is a beautiful color. I ended up with a white car because that's what our dealer had with a manual transmission (never titled, not bought back). And after 16 years of driving an Indigo Blue car I was ready for a change. However, I've seen a few night blue cars since and wish there had been one available. I like what you've done.
Just noticed your signature noting you as a Principle of idparts... my first order from idparts (DSG service kit) arrived on Tuesday. I had seen idparts mentioned on here and on the vortex. Thanks for your contributions here and great deals!

"I have a car-sickness. I need to be checked into the HENRY Ford Clinic." -Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor
JeffsSportWagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:38   #1098
STOKTDI
Veteran Member

Tried to install my Polar FIS last night. Found out that in Kerma's shipment, some were missing the cable that goes from the FIS to the factory plug in. They sent it out first thing today so no big deal, stuff happens. Just a warning to anyone who has ordered it, may take a couple extra days to receive it.
Old Yesterday, 11:32   #1099
740GLE
Veteran Member

post a video and impressions of it once you get it.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:39   #1100
STOKTDI
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
post a video and impressions of it once you get it.
Will do after the weekend
Old Yesterday, 12:38   #1101
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffsSportWagen View Post
Just noticed your signature noting you as a Principle of idparts... my first order from idparts (DSG service kit) arrived on Tuesday. I had seen idparts mentioned on here and on the vortex. Thanks for your contributions here and great deals!
Thanks for the order! We sell diesel parts because we own and drive diesels (I have six ) and are excited that VW is now reselling the bought back cars. We expect that most purchasers will be enthusiasts, more like it was in the MKIV days.
Old Today, 04:37   #1102
jason_
Veteran Member

Anyone feel comfortable rolling up to 130k on a rubber timing belt?

It costs the same to do it sooner, I don't understand the risk involved on a belt that can go bad without even using it?

Just be cause the X is in the 130k column further to the right doesn't mean the quality or dependability is the same or increased....

Dry rot anyone?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Last edited by jason_; Today at 04:40.
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:33   #1103
740GLE
Veteran Member

Belts usually aren't the problem it's the rollers and other things the belt rides on that could go out. If the engine loses timing, best bet you're looking for a new head as its an "interference engine" (valves contact pistons and something smashes).

Age of the belt probably only is an issue if it's getting over 10 years, hopefully a TDI owner is racking up the miles before dry rot is an issue (even for those NOS that sat for a couple years).

With that being said, it's a preventative maintenance, there probably have been countless owners that never even thought about the TB and put on +200K without issues.

I had my 2010 replaced at 120K (was the spec) and kinda wish I had saved the $1100 as it was bought back and crushed by VW with about 140K a year and half later, I guess I slept a little better with the new TB though.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:57   #1104
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I wouldn't go much past 6 years on the belt system regardless of mileage. Since my GSW is already 3 years old and has a whopping 9K miles on it, I don't think I'll get to 130K before it's 6 years old. I'll just replace it at some convenient interval in 2020 or 2021.

My B4 got its belt about 6 years ago and is only 35K into its 60K interval. I'll probably replace it soon.
Old Today, 06:42   #1105
jason_
Veteran Member

My 09 had cracks in it replaced it in 2014. Factory belt 5, years old, 210k miles.

I plan on doing mine somewhere in 80-100 miles.

Few hundred dollars, several few thousand saved.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Last edited by jason_; Today at 06:45.
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:19   #1106
AGOODHI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MKVII GSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffsSportWagen View Post
I'm ultimately going for a DIY GTD (since we don't get them on this side of the pond.) I re-purposed the extra "G" I had from when I de-badged "Golf" and added it in front of the TDI badge and then removed the "I" for my very own DIY GTD badge.

time to look for some nogaro rims

AGOODHI is offline   Reply With Quote