Hello everyone ('12 Grey 4dr 6sp)

thegrey

TDI
'12 Golf 5dr
Hello everyone ('12 Grey 5dr 6sp)

Hello,
I just picked up my new Golf last week and I really love the car so far. I drove the Jetta TDI first and (no offense to Jetta owners) I really didn't care for the suspension behavior of the Jetta. It didn't feel composed and it was a bit on the sloppy side. So then I test drove the Golf and it was a revelation. I was sold.
The car is a base car with no sunroof, xenons or upgraded audio. I guess I would have taken a sunroof car if it was in stock, but I prefer the headroom over the ventilation. If I'm ever to a/x or track the car, it's better without a sunroof anyway.
I know you all know this stuff already, but I'll go down the likes/not so much likes on the car to this point:
1. Steering- It's just okay. Not loving the feel or feedback and it seems overly slow.
2. Gearbox- Love it- best 'box on a FWD car I've experienced to this point. Excellent ratios and it's snickity (that might change after break-in). Pedal spacing for heel and toe is nearly perfect.
3. Engine- Love the torque- it's addicting. I got back in the wife's 2.0T Passat wagon and the feeling of non oil burner is just so different. I drove a rental Ford Fusion a couple days ago and it seemed downright dangerous in the acceleration department. The torque spoils you.
4. Build quality- Excellent. I'm really impressed by the fit, finish and solidity of the car overall.
5. Mileage- seems to meet EPA rating- just had a 4 hour trip and I averaged 43ish mpg doing about 75-80 on the highway. City seems to be coming in at about 32.
6. Brakes- Like the steering, they're just okay. Pretty spongy on initial bite and they feel like they would go away pretty quickly with any track use (like most cars).
7. Audio- I've manipulated the settings as much as possible and the sound is passable, but not excellent. I'm sure the upgraded audio package is much better. I finally figured out how to disable my iphone/ipod from randomly turning on at full blast while I'm listening to XM or the radio.
8. Ergonomics- Good. Love the placement of the steering wheel controls although they are a bit too close to the outer portion of the wheel. When I'm gripping the wheel at standard 9 and 3, the controls dig into my hands slightly- not a big deal, just a bit annoying. Stalks behind the wheel are properly placed and function great.
9. Seats- Love 'em..
Anyway- just some first impressions. Looking forward to learning from you all.