Is this my oil cap leaking OR?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
My car runs great gets good mileage but uses a bit of oil between changes but not a ton...i noticed this today when changing it looks like oils coming out the cap is this normal. Are the caps know to leak?

This is my 2003 alh

Curkkic

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more ;(
not your oil cap. that rubber ring around your oil cap intended for the cover. oil seeps slowly by after is sits there a while makine a mess of things. also check your caps rubber ring. shouldnt have a problem.

Last edited:

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i cleaned it last oil change so its coming from somewhere. My lid doesnt have a rubber ring on it..its just hard plastic? Did someone loose the rubber seal maybe. I use a funnel to fill so there shouldnt be oil in the ring.

Is it possible my ccv is plugged and its causing blow by on my cap?.....cb

Last edited:

Super T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
My guess is EGR valve, see that little hole? Mine used to spit oil out of it. Clean it off and watch that little hole. Although from the pic it doesnt look as oily as the rest.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
There is a rubber grommet is under the fill port metal housing. I think you can just grab the whole thing and twist/pull it off. IDK if you can buy one anywhere but you could just clean it and see if it is cracked/torn.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
It looks to me that you're missing the rubber gasket that's installed under the oil filler cap. This is an easy and cheap fix. Install 2 rubber gaskets, and it'll stop the leak for good. Don't forget to smear the 2nd gasket - the one that makes contact with the oil filler neck - with oil for future easy removal.

Last edited:

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Okay im a little confused where the rubber seals are? I dont see any does someone have pics or a diagram?

Curkkic

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more ;(
under your oil fill cap. the one missing in the picture. there is a rubber ring. if there is no rubber ring blow-by will occur. check to see taht your cap does infact have this rubber ring its about 2 mm think and about 1/2 inch wide.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
I was refering to the grommet underneath the metal donut that the oil cap screws into. It connects the filler neck to the valve cover. Hard to tell from the pic but looks like a lot of oil between the valve cover and underside of filler neck. Just one more thing to check. Probably easier to clean it and watch it (more frequently than once every oil change!) than to pull everything apart. Post another pic after 500 miles post cleaning if you don't figure it out.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
The pump duse TDIs have a spacer between the valve cover and oil cap and the spacer has tabs and turns CCW to remove it, just like the oil cap and there is a gasket between the spacer and the valve cover, just like the oil cap. Perhaps the ALH is this way too and the gasket between your spacer and valve cover is bad. I found this out by accident when removing my oil cap--The oil cap stayed on the spacer and the spacer turned out of the valve cover. I thought I broke something before I took a close look.

--Nate

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
doubling the oil seal works but you can also try bending the tabs on the cap slightly for a firmer seal with the valve cover. just don't bend the tabs too much you will shave aluminum slivers from the valve cover and send them inside the engine.
that plastic sleeve is for cosmetic reasons. the plastic extender the PDs have also use the same seal as the oil cap

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Savageman69 said:
Okay im a little confused where the rubber seals are? I dont see any does someone have pics or a diagram?
Here are the pics from a BHW_PD, but applies to other TDI engines

No oil leaks from the oil filler cap/neck

Two gaskets/seals slightly protrude above the return flange of the oil filler cap providing
positive seal between oil filler cap and neck. It stops blow-by gas and oil from escaping
the valve cover and harming the environment

Two gaskets/seals better than one