Wiring trailer lights on b4 tails? Who's got the pinout?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Anyone know how to plug in trailer lights into the plugs on the driverside tail?

If anyone has a pic of the wiring plate/pinout that would help. Darkscout made a thread for the a3 but I believe they are different. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=251360

I've got a flat 4 coming from the trailer lights (single lamp brake and turns). I heard some say use a converter, and I'm guessing that is why I kept popping fuse 20. Wouldn't pop when we tested at first but died on the drive. Wasn't the smartest thing to tow, but I didn't know I had killed them till after.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Pin-out? We don't need no steenking pin-out!
Pull the bulb receiver out of the car and visually follow the tracks.

I've not had success with any of the converters.
Tail lamps are mandatory. Brake lamps are mandatory. Directionals can be duplicated with hand signals.
I wired mine with brake and tail, but it is low and narrow enough that the tow car's turn signals are easily seen.
I added a pair of amber 'clearance' lamps to a taller, wider tent trailer I used to own. I wired those to the turn signals through a 5/6 connector. I used a 5/6 pin harness on the car. I also made my own 5/6 to flat 4 adapter (no turn lamps) I used for my trailers with flat 4 wiring.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Here's that thread I used.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=227595&highlight=58l

I followed this, but the sucker kept blowing the fuse still. So forget the turn signals (the trailer is small so you can see tails and brakes and turns), am I missing something with the flat4? Left/Right/Trail/Ground

58l for tails
BR for brakes I believe (where the 5 ligth brake mod hooks up)

(In the thread you said the color coding is wrong, but the termination points are the same. So does 58 on a b4 = 58 on an a3? BLL on a b4= BLL on the a3? Just seeing if Darkscout's thread is useless with the pinout.

Thanks Jon, and I will not tow 6 dogs in a trailer.

P.S. You know Lazarus was rotting for a while before he was back from the dead; does that wagon of yours got some cancer of it's own?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
A couple of funny appearing moles, but not metastasized.

The bio drum trailer tail lamps are wired to the B5V left tail lamp. That added load is enough to blow that fuse. I've upped from 5 to 7.5 amperes.
The gauge should be capable for carrying up to 15 amperes, so I still have 10 amp fuse as an option before risking making the wires the weak link.
Or I get LED bulbs....