TB Tensioner

doodad

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hello

I'm in the process of my first TB change. I'm following the TB change pdf file, but I have a question about the tensioner.

So I started with the tensioner in the down position (the center of the two adjustment holes at the 6 o-clock position) with tab in the block and the nut hand tightend.

I rotate the cam part of the tensioner from 6 o-clock to about 3 o-clock clockwise and it rotates smoothly but the alignment marks are not aligned yet.

As I rotate to about 4 o-clock the tensioner sort of detents or is not as smooth as the 6 thru 3 rotation. My alignment marks line up after the rough patch of rotation, the tensioner tab is still in the block.

Is that roughness normal?

doodad

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
OK I think I figured out what I was doing wrong. I only did a finger tight in the nut. After snugging the nut down a bit more... The tensioner rotated from the 6 o-clock position to the 12 o-clock position with proper alignment... Nice and smooth.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I was going to mention that. The tensioner was backing out of the hole and causing that.

Tee Dee Eye

Veteran Member
TDI
05 jetta 01 golf
Funny, that happened to me too. I posted that, but then reread in your post that the indexer was in the right place so deleated my post.

Good you got it worked out.