Someone kick me

gawelnj

Veteran Member
I found out what was causing my stumbling/surging/misfire problem! I was getting ready to do a compression test, when I realized the engine wasn't warm, so I plugged the injectors back in to get it started and lo and behold the stinking thing ran smooth as silk! The plug was just loose! Turbo is OK, Injectors are OK, valvetrain/pistons are OK! I am a happy man.

Will verify tomorrow whether I am just dreaming.

Why is it always the stupid crap?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
gawelnj said:
...so I plugged the injectors back in to get it started and lo and behold the stinking thing ran smooth as silk!
You plugged the injectors or the glow plugs back in? If it was the GP, they shouldn't be doing anything this time of year.

gawelnj

Veteran Member
Main connector leading to injector solenoids to be exact.

(5 pins, near the front drivers side of the engine)

daBooj

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, could only find silver
isn't it great how we do something to our cars, and finish up full of excitment only to find something is terribly wrong. We snoop around, worry about all the horrible things that could go wrong, only to find the simple thing we forgot or bumped or didn't quite get plugged in in causing the huge problem.

When I did the injectors, I didn't quite get the needle lift cable snapped in. It came loose. Lotsa big jerky stuff going on, then limp mode with a b linking glowplug light and check engine light.

yesterday I changed out the glow plugs. Got in the car to make sure the light stayed off, found I was in limp mode with no turbo sounds at all. Got scared, didn't know what could have happened. Found I had bumped the vacuum hose off the vacuum bulb while I was in there. Course I only found that while I was just about done snooping around everything else and about to close the hood.

simple things.

gawelnj

Veteran Member
Geez! Guess what guys... it's still idling weird. The tensioner looks off...as if it were too tight, but I push on the TB and it gives what seems to be perhaps too much. I am thinking the tensioner isn't keeping tension properly...

Another possibility is that perhaps an injector is partially clogged, and after a while it drips extra fuel.

I have no clue!

gawelnj

Veteran Member
doesnt look like it. I will have to play around and see if anything helps. I am going to run injector cleaner again... I really feel as if #4 might be clogged. See the thing had a head gasket replaced and maybe its possible that they didnt reinstall the injector correctly.

Anyone got a good link to injector removal/installation for a PD?

gawelnj

Veteran Member
UPDATE: Today I went to put through another can of cleaner through and after I had linked up all the connections, I had started to run the air out of the lines to ensure I would have an air-free purge. Lo and behold a large slug of air came rolling out of the fuel rail! This strikes me as odd because I had not seen any air in the return line. Nevertheless, after I had purged the air, I decided to reconnect and see if my luck had changed. It had! The engine ran smooth. Some of this stuff really drives me bananas! Sounds good now, just has a little valve-tap type sound coming from the TB area which needs to get looked at.

Looks like I will be contacting Jeff at Red Lion PA (Rocketchip)...

gawelnj

Veteran Member
email sent. for all observing, i recommend checking the forum. I basically disconnected the fuel rail and tilted it and filled it with fuel.