PD - Noisy in-tank fuel pump

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Just today I suddenly noticed that my in-tank fuel pump is very noisy! It sounds kind of like a refrigerator compressor - sort of a loud low-frequency humm.

This has me a bit worried as I am planning a trip to a remote area this weekend. There probably won't even be cellphone coverage.

Has anyone encountered this, and did your pump fail soon after? It sounds bad to me...

Also, is the pump expensive? I have no problem with carrying a spare and changing it beside the road if necessary. It would be under warranty, but that doesn't do me much good when I'm being eaten by bears.

If possible I would like to just throw a $100 after-market fuel pump in there. Has anyone seen what the PD in-tank pump looks like? Is there room to put something else in there? Does it connect with your typical 8mm fuel hose and hose clamps?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
There are a couple of threads that might answer all of the questions you ask. Search on this.

In short, your car is getting ready to fail, and leave you stranded if you are away from home. It may be the next trip, it may be next week, but it WILL fail and SOON. It will have to be towed, unless you buy a spare pump and cary in the car it and the tools needed to swap it out. Get the pump replaced ASAP! If under warranty take it to the dealer. If not, order a new pump from Impex (I think its about $300 US $) and replace it yourself. McBrew did one and said it was quite easy.

Some make noise like yours and some don't before failure. Mine did not and failed at highway speed, killing the engine without warning, stranding me. Mine was warrantied.

--Nate

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I did search, but didn't find anything relating to installing an aftermarket pump. I guess I'll be the first because I'm not paying $400 (my dealer's quote) for a low-pressure transfer pump. They don't sell the pump separately so you have to buy the entire level sending unit with pump etc...

I filled the tank back up today (it was fairly low) and now I can't hear the fuel pump anymore. Maybe it's okay...

I notice from your sig that you also have a Cat 2um filter. I wonder if they are a little more restrictive and that's what killed your fuel pump...and possibly mine in the near future...

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
"I notice from your sig that you also have a Cat 2um filter. I wonder if they are a little more restrictive and that's what killed your fuel pump...and possibly mine in the near future..."

That thought crossed my mind too, and I posted about it. The general consensus was "No". A lot of PDs without the CAT filter have failing in-tank pumps too.

--Nate