www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 13th, 2018, 13:04   #16
0die
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post
As for the post by Odie about the metal pulley I have to say I've never seen a TDI tensioner with metal pulley...ever. If you're talking about some other part post up a pic of what you're referencing.
Steve
That was from 2012...lol...

as for the "metal" part...my old tensioner was metal...but my car was also an early 1996 VIN# which came with the old IDI manual style tensioner...I replaced the tensioner stud in order to install the newer auto tensioner.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...tensioner+stud

I'm just "updating" this thread since URO brand parts are looked down upon. The tensioner has lasted 60K and will be replaced with the belt change that is now due. It was a 'suspect" brand so I'm just reporting that it indeed did last and work just fine...

BTW, I had already bought the URO tensioner (and other URO brand parts from AZ Autohaus) before I had heard all the negative and suspicious comments about that brand...I decided to use it anyway and just keep an eye on it...

Ordering a kit with the SKF one this time around cause it's pretty much the same price...
0die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 13:45   #17
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Steve, that may have been me who mentioned SKFs using the Litens tensioners.

I remember when everyone else was getting around $50 and I took a chance with Autohaus AZ and the $25 tensioner. I was pleasantly surprised with what showed up. I bought several at that price and the price soon went up, as expected.

SKF, INA and NTN were all OE suppliers, so I wouldn’t be surprised if I received a Litens with any of these bearing brands.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 14:23   #18
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0die View Post
That was from 2012...lol...

as for the "metal" part...my old tensioner was metal...but my car was also an early 1996 VIN# which came with the old IDI manual style tensioner...I replaced the tensioner stud in order to install the newer auto tensioner.

I'm just "updating" this thread since URO brand parts are looked down upon. The tensioner has lasted 60K and will be replaced with the belt change that is now due. It was a 'suspect" brand so I'm just reporting that it indeed did last and work just fine...

BTW, I had already bought the URO tensioner (and other URO brand parts from AZ Autohaus) before I had heard all the negative and suspicious comments about that brand...I decided to use it anyway and just keep an eye on it...

Ordering a kit with the SKF one this time around cause it's pretty much the same price...
Haha, I went back to see where the thread started but never saw that your comment was from 2012. Your reference to the early production and the manual tensioner makes sense, the AAZ IDI cars used the same timing belt as the TDI 1.9L AHU/1Z engines but the tensioner from the earlier ME/MF/1Y 1.6 L engines.

I have had bad experiences with URO parts, which I think I've posted up here before. I'm glad to hear you did alright with the URO tensioner. I know that URO doesn't make the one they sell, it would be nice to know who does and where. For now, since there are other options I will stick with what I've gotten before I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
Steve, that may have been me who mentioned SKFs using the Litens tensioners.

I remember when everyone else was getting around $50 and I took a chance with Autohaus AZ and the $25 tensioner. I was pleasantly surprised with what showed up. I bought several at that price and the price soon went up, as expected.

SKF, INA and NTN were all OE suppliers, so I wouldn’t be surprised if I received a Litens with any of these bearing brands.

-Todd
Todd, it was your post that got me to order from AutohausAZ with that price, which as you mention went up to I think $42 almost immediately after I placed my order. I should have ordered more at the time, I'm down to one spare now and that will get used this summer.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.

Last edited by Steve Addy; June 13th, 2018 at 14:28.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2018, 05:08   #19
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Sorry for the crappy image, but this is a pic of what I use:

Continental kit, with a genuine Contitech belt, Litens tensioner (with an NSK bearing inside), and an INA idler.

The kit number is TB242K3

No reason anyone should be using anything less, in my opinion. Although the Gates belts are probably fine, often their "kits" contain poor quality other components. At least with the Conti kit, you know (for German cars, anyway) you are getting all the good OEM level stuff.

FWIW, the kit is from Canada (where Litens is HQ'd), the belt is from Romania, and the idler is from Slovakia. While I know we'd all love to be able to use German made parts for our German cars, the fact of the matter is the German companies like all the rest have outsourced a LOT of their labor to other places. However I do feel that the actual company that makes the stuff, wherever the plant is located, at least hopefully brought the same QC with them. I know that may not always be the case, but I still would have more faith in a German company's part made in a non-German locale than I would some no-name part made in the same place. Even Bosch's VE pumps have been coming from outside Germany for a decade now, but they seem to be perfectly fine.

Last edited by oilhammer; June 19th, 2018 at 05:13.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2018, 10:02   #20
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46

...except for Meyle. Junk
JETaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2018, 10:06   #21
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

OH, thanks for the info on the kit. In the past I've avoided the 'all in one' kit because you never know about the quality of all the parts in the kit and I don't want a surprise that I wasn't expecting. Also, it's safer to stock hard items, like tensioners and rollers for a few years whereas perhaps it's not all that good to store TB's for that long.

I've had good luck with Conti / Continental timing belts and also Roulunds / Rodrive belts. Also at one point there was some discussion where people were advocating for Dayco timing belts.

There are still several good suppliers out there for parts, which is plus for the longevity of our cars, and as popular as these engines are I don't see parts for them going away any time soon.

And I agree with you, I think a German company will often insist on a QC level as good as that of their prior home country production when they outsource their production to other places.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2018, 10:10   #22
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The rest of the car has been pretty much obsoleted, but the good news is, at least for timing belt kits, is that VAG made gajillions of industrial and marine engines based on this same layout, that share much of the same engine parts with the AHU. So at least those items should be around for a good while longer.
Old June 20th, 2018, 11:08   #23
URO Parts Support

TDI(s): 1998 Golf

Hi everyone, here's a bit of info about URO and photos of tensioner 028 109 243F.

URO Parts is a brand of products manufactured by APA Industries, which is located in Southern California. Our facility consists of a large warehouse, a massive library of OE and OEM parts (which we use to verify the materials and dimensions of our parts), a machine shop for R&D work, our sales department, a comprehensive materials and physical property testing lab, and our staff of ten full-time mechanical and electrical engineers.

Though most of our products are manufactured in China to our specifications (as are many OEM parts these days), APA is 100% American-owned and operated. Over the last decade, the company has evolved from a reboxer of commodity parts (which is how most of our competitors currently operate) to a problem-solving designer and manufacturer. We're now continuously increasing our engineering capabilities and developing our own parts that are the exclusive aftermarket alternative to OEM, or components that no longer available from any source, including the dealer. This emphasis on exclusive new product development and in-house testing is what differentiates today's URO from competitors that simply rebox inexpensive off-the-shelf items.

Here are photos of tensioner 028 109 243F. Whenever possible, we use high-quality NTN or NSK brand-name bearings in our idlers and tensioners (quality bearings are definitely worth the extra cost). Unfortunately the dimensions of this particular tensioner didn't allow us to use NTN or NSK, but this bearing is well-suited to the application and hasn't given us any trouble. Please feel free to contact us at 800-290-5555 or "sales @ uro parts dot com" (remove spaces) if you need any assistance or have any questions about our components.

Last edited by URO Parts Support; June 20th, 2018 at 12:40.
URO Parts Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:46   #24
0die
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETaah View Post
...except for Meyle. Junk
I've bought a lot of Meyle stuff...haven't had any problems with their parts yet...but I don't know anything about the company...
0die is offline   Reply With Quote