www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old February 26th, 2018, 02:07   #46
Tektdi

I suspect that this is some sort of software issue owing to differences between the 2015 motor and the 2013-2014 motors. Hopefully the software update fixes this. If it's causing too many problems and people start turning to aftermarket vendors for even dirtier flashes the EPA will probably start aggressively going after the aftermarket tuners.

But honestly if they're still offering you the buyback you might as well just take the big payout and then buy the same car over, the buyout they offered me is more than enough to go buy a newer model with a lot fewer miles on it and still keep a whole bunch of money. It's almost enough to buy two! If you keep an eye on VINs you can probably buy back your actual car when it hits a dealership. I found a 2015 TDI SEL near me for $9000 less than the settlement offer and so far it doesn't seem like anybody with a 2015 is reporting this issue.

Last edited by Tektdi; February 26th, 2018 at 02:11.
Tektdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 05:47   #47
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

I just wanted to update the group. On 3/1 I used my VCDS to clear all of the codes and then installed KermaTDI's tune. Since then I've put a little over 600 miles on the car and no CELs have been thrown.

I've noticed that it is much easier to spin the wheels now and more mid-range power when I go to pass on the highway. Also it now easily gets over 40MPG at 75MPH when I'm on the hilly interstate here in PA.

Looks like a good option for those that want to take it.
Old March 23rd, 2018, 06:19   #48
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Thanks for the update, Bill!
Old March 23rd, 2018, 07:28   #49
ssaric1.9TDI

Thank you for the update. Since I deleted the CEL on the 13 Passat back in the beginning of January wife drove it for almost 4k miles and CEL light has not come on. I like the idea of the tune and that just might be the next thing to do. More power and better FE
Old March 23rd, 2018, 16:35   #50
d2freeman
Veteran Member

Did the tune help with the "after fix" stumble issues during the first few miles when cold?
On mine this occurs when the warm-up starts and last for about 2 miles then everything is fine.
d2freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2018, 10:27   #51
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

It seemed to, at least in my case. I haven't noticed the stumbling that was present before.
Old April 1st, 2018, 12:01   #52
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

curious on this tune as well as the post fix has mine running very oddly, one week I will average low 30's MPG and the next week with the same commute I can see high 40's and it gets better mpg in town than the highway on most days??!!
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG

Last edited by jrm; April 1st, 2018 at 12:05.
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2018, 10:26   #53
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

The tune seems to be great. I don't notice any stumbling or hesitation that others are experiencing. Yesterday I had it on the interstate and was about 40 miles down the road the the computer was reading an average 48+MPG on my trip1 computer. I don't recall ever seeing it that high, and I was not babying it at all.
Old May 5th, 2018, 13:27   #54
Flyboy777

Fuel Economy: 5.1 Litres/100 Km combined winter

Ok Thanks for everyone’s input on this. I am still within warranty with this one so prefer to keep it stock but this SOUNDS LIKE IT HAS THE POTETIAL OF BECOMING A big hassle. I am thankful for this site because it turns up common problems. I just got the no start countdown last night saying 350 Km to no start (that is 200 miles for my American friends). When I shut down it had 4codes but now there is just one: P204F SCR NOX CATALYST EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD BANK 1. My handheld DTC reader shows: REDUCTANT SYSTEM PERFORMANCE BANK 1. I certainly do not want to take this in repeatedly to ultimately be told no fix. When I query the dealer (Barrie VW) the service advisor had not heard of this problem. It does not inspire confidence. Part of me wants to get whatever replaced new before my warrantee (emissions) runs out at 196,000 km. (I’m at 180,000 now). In my 2012 dsg Passat there is no countdown so there is no threat of a no start. I would eventually like to do the tune to get rid of the cold stumble start as it is annoying at a stop sign. I will wait till my warrantee runs out in 1/2 year. I’ll probably go to the dealer and leave it with them but I am bracing myself. I love the mileage of this car and the torque but if they can’t fix it I’m going to rip all this crap off and enjoy lots of power and better mileage and say screw it. Any updates on this all has gone quiet on this issue. Any fix yet? Thanks once again everyone.

Flyboy777

Last edited by Flyboy777; May 5th, 2018 at 13:29.
Flyboy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2018, 03:58   #55
BarryMunson

Fuel Economy: 53

I have noticed comments about this problem popping up when it gets cold. I have had my DEF control module out and checked some connectors with an electric meter. I found the DEF injector feed line heater open circuit (meaning bad). I decided to test if the ECU sees this open circuit. I reset fault codes and unplugged the injector line heater connector. Taking OBD readings again after doing this, I found no indication on my scanner that this was unplugged. This leads me to believe that the ECU does not monitor the injector line heater. So, you can have a bad injector line heater and never know. Not even the VW technicians would know unless the perform an actual ohm reading of that heater. Now, that being said, it stands to reason that you can ADblue cel issues when cold weather hits and never have a resolution from VW dealership. Someone jump in here and comment if they can verify that VCDS can look at this injection line heater because my scanner does not see it through the OBD codes I get.
1985 Dodge W150, 3.9L Cummins conv. (27 mpg)
BarryMunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2018, 16:04   #56
tadawson
Veteran Member

Might itmonitor the current when it activates, and detect it then? It's not like the heater will be used much in warm weather . . . .

And frankly, not exactly sure why you are worrying about it . . .
tadawson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2018, 03:35   #57
BarryMunson

Fuel Economy: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Might itmonitor the current when it activates, and detect it then? It's not like the heater will be used much in warm weather . . . .

And frankly, not exactly sure why you are worrying about it . . .
The heater is a resistive element. It has a resistance when you measure a resistive element. The ECU may measure current when it is active but that does not change the fact that the heater is bad. There will be no current traveling through an open circuit.

I see that you are from Texas. You may not have a concern in your warmer weather but up here in Ohio we get below freezing pretty often. IF the injection delivery line is not heated then flow will be impeded with cold DEF fluid trying to travel through it. Now I don't know what the viscosity characteristics are of Urea but It must get much more viscous when cold.

And, there are a number of complaints about their cars throwing codes like P20EE in when cold weather hits.
1985 Dodge W150, 3.9L Cummins conv. (27 mpg)

Last edited by BarryMunson; May 13th, 2018 at 03:38.
BarryMunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2018, 15:33   #58
tadawson
Veteran Member

Congratulations on missing my point, which was that the fault may well be detected when the ECU powers the heater, and sees zero current flow.And that that won't be happening *now*, since it is too warm.

And again, no code means no warranty claim at this time. Wait, let it code, and get it replaced, snd stop screwing with it needlessly . . .

(And my other home is in northern MI, which makes Ohio look like the tropics, so you can jettison that at this point as well . . .)
tadawson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 09:30   #59
Jordanrctm

I have had my 2014 sel tdi (post emissions update) in for an injector miss that the dealer can’t find after a week. In the winter I had the injector knocking when cold, stumble upon acceleration. After I got it back, the adblue in 200 miles countdown came on with the CEL. The dealer had filled it up right before I left. The light was off the next day. 2000 miles later it is back on with the code P204F and 20553. It is 90 degrees here in Texas.
So now to a dealer with pictures of the dash, codes, and freeze frame data. Hope the message and lights do not go out or they will claim no problem found.
Jordanrctm is offline   Reply With Quote