B4 Sedan replacement fuel tank straps

Maillemann

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4 Passat
I recently replaced the fuel tank straps on my '96 Passat, which were completely rotten (one had broken previously). I had searched here on the forums for a definitive source for replacements, but found no satisfactory answer, so I'm passing along what I discovered.

For whatever reason, every domestic search for these parts I did only ever turned up two straps, not the three I needed, so I went through the Spectra Premium catalogue and found what I thought would work based on the measurements of the existing straps. While not listed for this application (they're supposedly for the Corrado), they certainly do fit. These are Spectra Premium ST202, which also includes the fastening bracket. They're only $30-40 shipped.

You'll undoubtedly want new bolts as well, and these are M8-1.25x20

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
That's interesting that those fit, on RA that set is listed as fitting the Mk3 cars, Corrado 90-91, Cabrio / Cabriolet.

I'm tempted to buy a set and test fit them on the B3V and if they don't I'll set them back for use on my Mk3 when / if the time comes.

Thanks for the heads up, they are inexpensive.

I know that the VW parts catalog only lists two for the B3/B4 even though there are actually three straps in there. Why such a blatant mistake I do not know.

It will be interesting to see if they fit the wagon.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that RA lists some for Passat too, at least for the 94 cars, but like the VW catalog it's only two straps and not the three.

Steve

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The reason only two straps are listed is because one of them is used twice, therefore it has the same part number. That's good to know they're still available in some form.

The sedan and wagon straps are not the same, the wagon straps are exactly 4" longer than the sedan ones at one end

W386 took some older but still serviceable ones I had to a local fabrication shop and had new ones made from stainless steel, they were $100 for all 3. They're very beefy and will easily outlast the car.

In the picture below, the sedan ones are on bottom and the wagon are on the top, both fit perfectly.

Maillemann

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4 Passat
The reason only two straps are listed is because one of them is used twice, therefore it has the same part number.

That may be the case in terms of PNs, but every listing I found via auto suppliers and even Spectra's "correct" listing (ST406) indicates TWO straps only, and they are clearly different in shape from the proper fit. In another thread on this subject a link to a VW dealership even shows a complete fuel tank assembly with only two straps.

I assume sometime back when, the wrong info was listed somewhere and it has been propagated through the various catalogues, but that doesn't help us much now.

There are some proper straps on eBay.de, but they're 200 EUR shipped, which is why I dug around elsewhere.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
That may be the case in terms of PNs, but every listing I found via auto suppliers and even Spectra's "correct" listing (ST406) indicates TWO straps only, and they are clearly different in shape from the proper fit. In another thread on this subject a link to a VW dealership even shows a complete fuel tank assembly with only two straps.

I assume sometime back when, the wrong info was listed somewhere and it has been propagated through the various catalogues, but that doesn't help us much now.

There are some proper straps on eBay.de, but they're 200 EUR shipped, which is why I dug around elsewhere.
That is the problem I was trying to emphasize, the VAG catalogs I have access to only show two straps and they don't say you need two of the one type. Spectra is in the same boat, the B4 kit they make only includes two straps, not the three that are necessary, and in addition they list the ST-406 kit as applicable to both sedan and wagon, which we know to be incorrect.

The reason that the ST-202 kit fits the B4 is because 1) the OP's car is a sedan and the Mk3 straps measure so close to the B4 kit that it works. At least based on the Spectra measurements they are very close.

I have told Spectra that their kit 1) is missing one strap and 2) it cannot work on both sedan and wagon. We will see if they do anything about it. They probably won't pay any attention to this but then again maybe they will.

Steve