Blower motor issues(not resistor)

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Howdy, I've been hunting an answer but am not getting too far. My 2009 JSW blower on the A/C stopped working a few days ago. No settings would push air. Then later it would work fine. Each time it kicks off, I think I hear a slight electrical click in the dash. Like a relay just flipped or something. Doesn't seem to want to start up again today. Maybe totally shot. On the other hand when it works, all speeds and adjustments work fine.

So how many electrical or mechanical possibilities are there? All fuses looked good. My research found only replacing the resistor pack or the blower motor as possible fixes. Anything else that might fix this? Thanks-

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
You can pull the motor out and try to blow the dust off, perhaps a drop of oil on the motor part (no more than that)

you also could just put a new blower assembly in, with motor. (around $150)

my guess is it is sticking, and hard to start.

blow the area out when you have the motor out.

has been a while, but I think there is one plug, and the whole thing comes out with a twist counter clockwise looking up, and then you can tilt the motor past a few wires, and out she comes.

(easier the second time...)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
not sure where he got the oven idea.

I blew mine out with shop air, and put a single drop of 3 in 1 oil on each end of the motor shaft.

SkiBumJH

TDI
Hi, thanks for the info. So then the only likely culprits are fuses, the resistor plug or some issue with the blower? I can clean it out, brush dust I am thinking. Or maybe its just shot. Plan on holding her until sept. 2018 so need some air movement. Don't want to spend much on her but glad to buy a new blower for a year+. Cheap comfort.

SkiBumJH

TDI
I decided to try your suggestion on the blower. loosened it and lowered it a half an inch, stuck a finger in and cage spins freely, no real dust on the walls either. It doesn't appear to be a dirty cage or need lubrication.

Anybody else? Ideas?:confused:

SkiBumJH

TDI
Climatic; and I noticed today that my rear wiper doesn't work now nor the front washer motor. All of this in the last week. had not used the wipers in over a week. checked fuses for wipers-all good.
I did notice today: car off, key on -turn on fan for vent/AC; hear a quiet click, again on settings 2,3,and 4. Don't hear it on the downclicks.

I'm afraid it's some inline type of fuse only a guru will know the location of.;)

Also heard mention of a load reduction fuse somewhere; Anyone?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
To me it seems like you are having a relay problems under the dash.
Does the car horn work? Does rear window heating work?

Try removing the trim and swapping some identical relays down there.
Horn and rear window heating relays are narrow ones, don't remember the numbering right now.
Hope you get the idea. Pull identical relays and swap them between.
Have in mind that the relays have locking tabs on both sides so you'll need a small screwdriver to unlock them. Be careful not to break it.

If after the swap the problem moves to another component, then likely the relay(s) was the problem.

SkiBumJH

TDI
Thanks Henrick. This is along the lines of my thought. The relays you refer to, where exactly are they located? Under driver side dash?

So you suggest using another relay to prove out if any are faulty in another plug-in, correct? I can do that...

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They are located behind the "dash cubby".
I want to suggest you to swap the relays in their places before spending any money on this.

SkiBumJH

TDI
OK, thanks. I'm not sure what/where the dash cubby is. The little area in the center console with the plug in? Below the wheel, left/right? Do I need to remove any dash trim?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd say just google for it.
Yes, you will need to remove dash trim.
If you are not familiar with all of this, I'd seek for professional help.
There are plenty of trusted mechanics here spread accross US.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I recall this happening to me for a while. Blower motor, rear wiper, etc. I'd just restart the car and all seemed good. I never needed nor found a fix, but I knew they were all related. I hope you find and post the results of your search. Thanks.

SkiBumJH

TDI
H.- thanks for the vague directions and interest; And the help that went from don't spend money to go spend money. I guess the where under the dash question was too amateurish...

Thanks Mike, at least a verification that this is not entirely unigue is reassuring. Mine worked a couple of times after restart but no longer.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I'm afraid that you have no skills at all. In that case, you might break something and/or cause more damage.
I assumed you know something about electronics in general and automotive repair. In that case, go ahead and swap the relays.
But again, if you don't feel comfortable, ask a mechanic. You'll spend only for labour, without having to purchase parts which you (or him) have NOT confirmed as actually being faulty (e.g. relays, which are expensive, etc)

SkiBumJH

TDI
Not sure what made you think I have no skills, but whatever. Since removing dash trim can be a pain, I just am asking you to tell me exactly where said relays are so I don't have to fight through the whole dash assembly. That seemed intuitive enough of a question. The dash cubby is at the bottom of the center console. I call it by a different name.

Do you know that the relay for this exact issue is there or am I just reducing a possible culprit?

Noticed today that the seat recliner lever and the two prong plug in the center console back seat access don't work. This is all tied together, I'm sure. Everything went kaput together...

SkiBumJH

TDI
After googling jetta dash cubby I see what you refer to and where it is. My car does not have this. But it is where I have the left side dash panel lower, removed. I see some relays behind a metal bracket. Are these the ones you refer to?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You car might or might not have the dash cubby - that portion of panel will need to be removed. It's ~608 screws I think.

Yep, those relays down there.

I was suggesting to swap all identical relays accross their seats. Currently I don't have access to wiring diagrams of that model.

SkiBumJH

TDI
So I got to the relays behind the left dash panel, switched as many like ones as possible in as many permutations and no difference. All appeared to be in good shape.
I have a sneaking suspicion this all stems from a recent camping trip. I tried to plug my countertop coffee maker into the rear seat area 2 prong plug in. it resisted going in but went grudgingly. The little green light flashed to yellow or red, can't remember. Did this about 6 times before I gave up.
Really wanted that coffee. Beartooth Pass Montana; Cold...
I suspect I partly cooked something and it took a couple of weeks to fester into this.
What disables the blower motor, plug in jack, seat recline lever, rear wiper and washer motor. That is the question!
I think I fried a relay in my noggin today...

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Aho. Yeah, surprising you didn't just blow the fuse as opposed to frying a more difficult to find piece.

Even if the fuse for the 110 V outlet does not look like it's blown, replace it with a known working one and see if there is a difference. It's worth that short try.

Also, is the 110V outlet working now? Just your cell phone charger plugged into it. No resistance heaters this time!