Tandem pump?

b1mmuo27

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed
First I was getting a screaming noise once & a while. I know its vacuum related. Checked all the vacuum lines with a vacuum pump. Still have the odd scream peddle down, peddle up doesn't matter it seems to be random. I have had the occasional burp from the motor which I consider fuel related. I have been smelling diesel lately but cant find a leak under the hood. 3 times this week I have lost boost from the brakes. I'm putting all this together & coming up with a bad tandem pump. The car has 330K kms on it. Its a 5 speed. The head was replaced in February due to the soft cam issue.

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
If you are smelling exhaust diesel smell maybe coming from the EGR cooler on the back of the engine. These leak and can make a hissing sound and smell. My EGR vacuum system cracked and caused limp mode but not lost of brake boost.

Please explain total head replacement for a bad cam? Normally just replace cam.

b1mmuo27

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed
No I don't replace a cam with the mileage. Got a used head from someone I trust. Chipped all the carbon out to of everything. Car wasn't running the greatest then. Now it runs great except these 4 issues.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Look at the back of your tandem pump and the corner of the head right there where the pump attaches. You might just need a new tandem pump gasket. I had a diesel leak on mine. You may have a diesel and vacuum leak on yours. Replacing the tandem gasket is a 15 minute job. With the right tools of course.

b1mmuo27

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed
I got a good used Tandem pump & a new gasket. Checked all the vacuum lines & took the old crimped clamps off & replaced with gear clamps. Old pump was leaking. I still have a light black smoke when taking off from a stop or switching gears. I scanned the car & found every thing running ok & no error codes with the vagcom. Tension value is .5 What could be causing this?