2005 VW Golf TDI

voodoojoe

TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI (bought it with 15 miles on the odometer)
My old trooper is still hanging their, running shy of 200k miles. I am looking to give it a facelift. I will be changing out the two front fenders, the Michigan Winters and salt have taken ahold and needs some TLC and a new paint job.
I am looking for some other upgrades that might look and/or make her last another 200k, any suggestions.

Thanks in Advance
Dave

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Replacing the plastic headlight lenses with glass ones will only cost about $70 and a couple hours of your time. It really makes a big difference, cosmetically.

voodoojoe

TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI (bought it with 15 miles on the odometer)
Sorry for the delayed reply and thanks for the suggestion. Glass headlight lens would solve my problem of the plastic hazing over. I will look into where to buy the glass lens.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Before you install those fenders, remove the inner sound insulation. It should look like a sponge; it absorbs salt during the winter. Then, for the rest of the year it's rotting the fender.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Sorry for the delayed reply and thanks for the suggestion. Glass headlight lens would solve my problem of the plastic hazing over. I will look into where to buy the glass lens.
I bought lenses for both my Golfs on eBay -- one for about $74 including shipping, the other about $64 with free shipping. It looks like there are a lot more people selling them now, some shipping from China for $40-45. Other cheap ones have this disclaimer: "These are B Grade lenses, meaning they don't pass our very strict flawless lens guidelines for A Grade. Therefore, these may have minor imperfections hard to capture by camera, such as miniature bubbles or uneven surface which is normal for the product. They will not affect the light output nor its functionality."

I can't direct you to any particular eBay vendor.

I recommend using Clear RTV Silicone sealant, and not getting any fingerprints on the inside of the new lenses.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Replacing the plastic headlight lenses with glass ones will only cost about $70 and a couple hours of your time. It really makes a big difference, cosmetically.
They're a cosmetic improvement, and an improvement in brightness for the driver too. I bought new OEM headlights for my Golf, and they made a huge improvement for me, and the looked much better as well. They were expensive, and I hated spending the money, but were worth every penny to me in the end.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
They're a cosmetic improvement, and an improvement in brightness for the driver too. I bought new OEM headlights for my Golf, and they made a huge improvement for me, and the looked much better as well. They were expensive, and I hated spending the money, but were worth every penny to me in the end.

Wow they're nice. Your old ones are better than the ones I currently have on mine.