Coolant Flush?

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
The vw coolant is good enough such that flushing with some other sort of chemical is not required nor desired. That is, there will be no corrosion of any sort in the system.

kharmin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta, DSG, Package 0
weedeater said:
The vw coolant is good enough such that flushing with some other sort of chemical is not required nor desired. That is, there will be no corrosion of any sort in the system.
What weedeater said - but only if you use VW or equivalent coolant - other colors or formulas may cause problems with connections or sensors - down the road somewhere :eek:

KROUT

persona non grata
I have had the green stuff in my car for 160,000 miles and no issues. No corosion at the last t-belt and pump change.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I have had the green stuff in other cars I have owned. Yes, my results were pretty good, too.

But I also had to flush & replace it every couple of years or so. And, it has silicates that cause wear. So essentially, the corrosion, if it occurs, is worn away by the coolant flow rather than not ever occurring.

The OAT coolants that are being used now last much longer, so it will be better in the long run.

The one factor I think might be pertainent is that if you always take your car to a shop, and the shop doesn't know anything about OAT coolant, then the danger to your car if coolants get mixed is far higher than if you just leave it with the green stuff that someone else replaced it with.

Another factor would also be that if your shop doesn't know about OAT, then they probably don't really do that much VW work, so you might want to shop elsewhere for your service work.

KROUT

persona non grata
Powder Hound said:
I have had the green stuff in other cars I have owned. Yes, my results were pretty good, too.

But I also had to flush & replace it every couple of years or so. And, it has silicates that cause wear. So essentially, the corrosion, if it occurs, is worn away by the coolant flow rather than not ever occurring.

The OAT coolants that are being used now last much longer, so it will be better in the long run.

The one factor I think might be pertainent is that if you always take your car to a shop, and the shop doesn't know anything about OAT coolant, then the danger to your car if coolants get mixed is far higher than if you just leave it with the green stuff that someone else replaced it with.

Another factor would also be that if your shop doesn't know about OAT, then they probably don't really do that much VW work, so you might want to shop elsewhere for your service work.

I agree that you dont want to mix the 2 different fluids. I flushed mine 2 or 3 times before using the green stuff.

ajetta2002

TDI
2002 jetta 1.9L
ok well i got a question i got a 02 with g12 coolant (red) and i have 147K on the car and i wanted to know if i need to replace the coolant with the green coolant. guys are talking about that so i wonder or should i check the coolant with diesel test strips that check how the coolant is holding out. i would really appreacate the help thanks!

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Don't change it until you need to due to changing the pump or some such. It's good if it's red and clear.