2006 BRM, intermittent no crank no start

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
I'm experiencing a frustrating electrical issue with a 2006 Jetta TDI (BRM) with DSG.

About a week ago, the first sign of a problem was shortly after starting the engine. While still parked, with the engine running for only 20 or 30 seconds, the engine quit as if someone had turned off the ignition.

Attempting to restart it there was no sign of life on the instrument cluster, except from the green indicator light indicating power to the headlights.

An hour or so later, came back to the car to try again, started fine like there was nothing wrong. Moved the car into the driveway to do some work on the brakes, and left it for a day or two,

Next time I attempted to start, it chattered as if the battery way dying. Tried to charge the battery, and also boost the car, but it made no difference. After the third or fourth attempt the instrument cluster went dead

Described the issue to my wife later that day, and she went out to try it and it started right up with no issues. We let it run for a few minutes, then turned it off. Attempted to restart.. same issue again... instrument cluster went dead!

At all times, there was accessory power available to run headlights, operate power windows, etc.

Today I removed the battery, cleaned the ground cable connections underneath the battery holder, and the battery terminals.

Some of the connections at the front of the fuse/relay panel are rather corroded, so I started to clean those. .. giving up when I broke one of the cable ends that had been weakened by corrosion.

At this point I'm spinning my wheels and not feeling like I am getting any traction, so am planning to have my mechanic look at it tomorrow.

Apart from continuing with cleaning obviously corroded connections, I'm feeling like it may be more likely to be a relay acting up somewhere.

Is there anything else I can be checking? Are there particular relays that might be at fault that I should be paying attention to?

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
I wasn't able to catch it when it was working to scan for codes using VCDS.

I've handed off to my mechanic now... but I will be very curious to know what they find.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Since you took it to the mechanic already, tell him to pull the airbox and check the ground with the acorn nut on it. It is a major chassis ground and if it is loose and/or corroded, it will cause the problems you describe.

On my car, that ground had worked loose twice. One tell sometimes for it being loose is fluctuating charging voltage.

Last edited:

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
Since you took it to the mechanic already, tell him to pull the airbox and check the ground with the acorn nut on it. It is a major chassis ground and if it is loose and/or corroded, it will cause the problems you describe.

On my car, that ground had worked loose twice. One tell sometimes for it being loose is fluctuating charging voltage.
Thanks for the suggestion.. I checked those myself before I gave up.

They were tight, but I opened them up, cleaned them with some good old emery cloth, then reassembled with dielectric grease. Hopefully won't have to think about them again.

Last edited:

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice catch, KBAISLEY.

The mechanic has confirmed it is in fact the 460 relay at fault.

I'm regretting that I didn't post this question days ago when I first began troubleshooting this problem.