Nicktane 1 Micron Synthetic Filter - Any way to make it fit on CAT 2 micron base?

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, Grey, 446K KM
Hey all,

I'm planning on ordering a Nicktane fuel filter kit for my friend. Was also thinking of ordering a 1 micron filter for myself; I have the CAT kit in my car. But looking at the Nicktane site, the 1 micron filter is a different thread than the CAT (Nicktane filter is 1"-12, CAT is 1"-14).

So the 1 micron filter won't fit on the CAT base. But is there any way to make it fit? I don't suppose the Nicktane 1"-12 filter nipple would fit on the CAT base? Maybe by chance the thread on the Nicktane and CAT bases is the same, and they are interchangeable? I'm not sure.

If no one knows the answer, maybe I'll take out my fuel filter tomorrow and give it a check. But hopefully someone has had this idea before!

Cheers,
Blake

cbalthazor

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Lifted Wagon
That nipple is what you need. The threading is the same in both the CAT or 1micron bases, and the nipple acts as the adaptor to either the CAT or Nicktane filter.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I didn't realize that the nipple was the only difference between the 1-micron and 2-micron filter heads. That is good to know, even though I don't plan on ever switching from the CAT 2-micron filters.