Official list of HPFP Failures

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
A long time ago I gave a lot people on this site s..t about the HPFP issues. In the end; when many here pretty much told me to go f..k myself and I disappeared. But I did say if I should ever have a problem with the HPFP in my 2010 Jetta TDI I would not hide the fact and post it here.
Well last Sunday about a mile from my home the car went into limp mode. Hoping to make it home I continued on my way. About a quarter further down the road while waiting at the light the car just quit. Stuck in the center of a six lane street I pushed my wife to the curb, opened the hood and waited for some a..h... to slam into the back of the car. No one did and a couple of guys offered to push the car out of the way (nice folks). After getting towed to the dealer and leaving the car I was notified yesterday the car's HPFP blew................but not to worry............VW is footing the bill. There is 63 thousand miles on the car. As for fuel 99.9 percent of all the diesel used was from three companies; 76, Chevron and Shell. It's NOT the fuel.......the pump is a sh.ty design, period.

So there you have it. Hit me with your best shot. I said I would report it and I did. Hopefully the new pump has been designed to get rid of the problem. Anyone here 'REALLY' know and not just guessing?
Dan-
Kudos for following thru on sharing your experience. Good luck getting it back on the road & plase keep us posted.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
A long time ago I gave a lot people on this site s..t about the HPFP issues. In the end; when many here pretty much told me to go f..k myself and I disappeared. But I did say if I should ever have a problem with the HPFP in my 2010 Jetta TDI I would not hide the fact and post it here.
Well last Sunday about a mile from my home the car went into limp mode. Hoping to make it home I continued on my way. About a quarter further down the road while waiting at the light the car just quit. Stuck in the center of a six lane street I pushed my wife to the curb, opened the hood and waited for some a..h... to slam into the back of the car. No one did and a couple of guys offered to push the car out of the way (nice folks). After getting towed to the dealer and leaving the car I was notified yesterday the car's HPFP blew................but not to worry............VW is footing the bill. There is 63 thousand miles on the car. As for fuel 99.9 percent of all the diesel used was from three companies; 76, Chevron and Shell. It's NOT the fuel.......the pump is a sh.ty design, period.

So there you have it. Hit me with your best shot. I said I would report it and I did. Hopefully the new pump has been designed to get rid of the problem. Anyone here 'REALLY' know and not just guessing?
In the earlier days and miles on the (my) 09 Jetta TDI, ( while) I thought I had a good chance of having the issue bypass my anecdotal 09 Jetta TDI. The issue did hit and @ app 79,000 miles. From all that I have read so far, it would seem that the design/s (HPFP) they actually went with, that they were "comfortable" with the "PROJECTED" failure RATE and/or percentage. What that was/is/ adds up to be seems to be kept very close to the VW vest. One question might be: does the ACTUAL failure rate come under or OVER the projected, and do the subsequent $$$$ costs come under/over projections. Again, that is kept close to the VW vest. The secondary issue might be: are the REMANNED and subsequent NEW HPFP's designs BETTER/WORSE. One thing seems to be clear. To remain viable, they have to get this as close to ZERO defects as possible and as close to the LIFE of the product, given the USA market ULSD standards are not going to change.

Last edited:

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
GTIDan and Plus 3 Golfer: I participated in those early conversations. There was a lot of heat generated, but hey, we're all in this together...or some of us are, at least.

Did/do either of you guys use additives? I can't remember which side y'all took in the discussion about additives. I'm at 79k on the JSW, using OptiLube XPD diligently. Recently moved to Ft. Worth, TX, (HOT!) trying to find the best fuel here.
Yes, I used DK for the 1st 20k+ miles and then switched to B2. But, I still believe that the dealer may have contributed to my failure at the 20k "free" FF change by perhaps not running the pumps to purge air from the system. It was several 1000 miles after the FF change that I noticed significant metal particles on the FF.

I took it back in and the dealer changed the FF again and said they'd check at the 30k "free" oil change. At the 30 k change, dealer said it was okay. I looked when I got home and there was still metal debris on the FF. When I change the FF at 40 k (and using VCDS to run the pumps), there was still debris on the old FF but to a lesser extent. It failed at 44k and before the flatbed arrived I checked the FF again and there was metal debris but nothing in the metering valve. VW would not authorize replacement of the entire fuel system.

Last edited:

Whiteboy84

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I spoke to the technician who replaced the turbo charger in my 09 jetta and he said he's only seen one HPFP that's failed. But I'm thinking most folks probably go to the dealer to try to get it fixed for free. Either way, he told me that if you change your fuel filter and don't have the computer software that you can't prime it properly and that this can cause the hpfp to fail.

posey

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
Year: 2011
Build Date: 11/2010
Make/Model: Audi A3 TDI Sportback
Tranny: DSG/S-tronic
Mileage: 77,500
Diesel Fuel Source: Mostly Shell and Chevron, off brand from time to time
Additives: (Yes/No) No
Problem: Car lost power on freeway, flashing glow plug light. Wouldn't do above 40 mph but drove okay for the 5 minutes it took to get home. Wouldn't start after that, towed to dealer. Previous fuel filters were clean, I'm the original owner and no one else ever fueled it up. Dealer said they tested the fuel and verified it was diesel only. Until this, the only issue I've had was an O2 sensor the first day I brought it home. Replaced under warranty.
Dealer: Stevens Creek Audi San Jose CA
Status: Still working on the car, everything including a loaner is being covered by Audi USA. No fight at all on my part. They are replacing entire fuel system, should be done in 5 days total.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
GTIDan, I was one that gave you a hard time about your position on the failures. This is my first post since I sold my car in Dec. 2012 at about 70 k miles. Even with a new HPFP at 44 k miles, I didn't (and still don't) trust VW to continue to cover these failures forever as I would have normally kept the car for around 175 k miles (more age than mileage related consideration).

Has your failure changed your thinking about keeping the car? Anyways, good luck in the future with your TDI. IMO, the design is faulty (shoe and roller allowed to rotate in bore) and VW can only do so much with that design.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it gave me pause for sure. I really like the car and otherwise it's been good. I'm a forgiving person and the car did send me a vibe asking me to hang in there, lol :)

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
GTIDan and Plus 3 Golfer: I participated in those early conversations. There was a lot of heat generated, but hey, we're all in this together...or some of us are, at least.

Did/do either of you guys use additives? I can't remember which side y'all took in the discussion about additives. I'm at 79k on the JSW, using OptiLube XPD diligently. Recently moved to Ft. Worth, TX, (HOT!) trying to find the best fuel here.
I never used any additives but considering it now. Not sure how much to use or what to buy. Any help?

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door

I gave you grief as well, I certainly respect you coming back to post your experience. Certainly shows a lot of integrity as a person to do that after your position. I hope it all works out for you...

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Either way, he told me that if you change your fuel filter and don't have the computer software that you can't prime it properly and that this can cause the hpfp to fail.
What's funny is I have had two VW techs tell me that there is no need to use Vagcom after a fuel filter change. I wish there was some DEFINITIVE information on this somewhere so this would stop getting argued.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^this. I've asked several dealerships, in no. VA and around Bradenton, FL, and they all smile weakly when I ask if they "prime" the CR fuel system after a FF change. I've observed them pull a filter, push/splash in a new one, secure the lid, and fire it up. They don't bother to drain/clean the FF canister.

I'm with you, YukonLT. No definitive info. Bentley (not always accurate, of course), in my 09 manual, says nothing about priming during a FF replacement. Later in the manual, they state very clearly that ANY TIME the fuel system is opened up, it needs to be primed.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Just because someone is a certified VW tech, does not mean they are really good. It's like the old saying "What do you call a guy who graduates Medical School at the bottom of his class? Doctor."

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
The VW service manual has no instruction to prime the system after a fuel filter change. Any other type of system maintenance/part replacement has them do the required fuel system priming.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
alldataDIY.com for the 09 has clear procedure for fuel filter change. ( I strongly suspect this info comes from mfg tech data)

the procedure is very clear.

after listing tools, a caution is provided.

Observe safety precautions when working on fuel supply. Refer to --> [ Fuel Supply System, Safety Precautions ] See: Powertrain Management\Fuel Delivery and Air Induction\Service Precautions\Vehicle Damage Warnings\Fuel Supply System, Safety Precautions.

which links to the below (as well as safety cautions and one to keep things clean)

If fuel system components between the fuel tank and high pressure fuel pump were removed or replaced, the fuel system must be filled in order to bleed it. Refer to --> [ Fuel System, Filling ] See: Service and Repair\Procedures\Fuel System, Filling. (Avoid running the high pressure fuel pump dry.)

Last edited:

psrumors

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
Curious if there is any correlation of HPFP failures and running the tank low trying to achieve 700, 800 or even 900 miles on a tank of fuel. If the LPFP sucks air because of an ultra low tank it could be bad for the HPFP.

I have to say I am guilty. I ran the tank rather low to get to 700 miles, generally I don't let any of my vehicles get below a 1/4 tank.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Curious if there is any correlation of HPFP failures and running the tank low trying to achieve 700, 800 or even 900 miles on a tank of fuel. If the LPFP sucks air because of an ultra low tank it could be bad for the HPFP.
I have to say I am guilty. I ran the tank rather low to get to 700 miles, generally I don't let any of my vehicles get below a 1/4 tank.
I have not read anything definitive. I don't want to test it though. I try and refill my tank when I've used 10 gallons. I use Optilube additives and small dosages of biodiesel. Those attempts to lubricate the pumps may help. Time will tell.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Not sure that running the tank too low is necessarily a bad thing for the hpfp. I typically don't fill until after my light comes on and then it's usually a measured response of can I get all the running around I need to do before or after I fill the tank. there have been enough times that I drove while the display read 0 miles to empty and so far no issues.

filmismymedium

TDI
2012 VW Golf TDI
Year: 2012
Build Date: Will check when I get the car back.
Make/Model: VW Golf TDI
Tranny: 6M
Mileage: 32,378
Diesel Fuel Source: Chevron always; Last fill up was first at a Shell.
Additives: No
Problem: HPFP failed. Loss of power and loud clicking noise. Engine check light and coil light flashing, followed by stalling and failing to restart. Turns over but does not start.
Dealer: Purchased from McKenna VW in Cerritos, CA. Repair at New Century in Glendale, CA.
Status: Dealer made all repairs within 3 business days. Cost was covered under warranty. Replaced HPFP, tank pump, hp fuel lines, fuel rail with both sensors, all injectors, fuel return lines, fuel filter, aux fuel pump. Flush and clean tank and fuel lines.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure that running the tank too low is necessarily a bad thing for the hpfp. I typically don't fill until after my light comes on and then it's usually a measured response of can I get all the running around I need to do before or after I fill the tank. there have been enough times that I drove while the display read 0 miles to empty and so far no issues.
The question of tank fuel level risk is more related to the in-tank pump, which sits in the fuel, and is cooled by the fuel. No definitive proof that it can cause a failure, but the lower the volume of fuel, the higher the fuel temp, since it's recycling fuel from the engine.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
The VW service manual has no instruction to prime the system after a fuel filter change. Any other type of system maintenance/part replacement has them do the required fuel system priming.
I posted the snippet shown below in Sept 2011 from my CD service manual. To me it is very clear that the fuel system should be primed with VCDS when changing the FF.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Does cycling the key do the same thing? That's what I always do but I just had my hpfp replaced too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^cycling the key on early CR TDIs didn't run the in-tank pump. Evidently, on the newer CDs, there have been reports that cycling the key does prime, but I'm not sure anyone has verified this.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI

Replacement pump #FF 021 A02 or 03L-130-851-AX The only information I have is that the X means it's a rebuilt pump. First I was sad but than I thought a rebuilt pump would have updated parts (the rollers, etc.) Just guessing on my part here.

If you know something from the numbers I posted please post. Thanks.

For the record I'm now adding Power Service Diesel Kleen. Trying to do what I can to keep it running. :)

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Here is what I have with regards to the FF change. No mention of priming the fuel pump.

In other maintenance actions on the fuel system, the manual specifically has you prime the system.

I do not disagree in the least with regards to priming the fuel system anytime it is open for maintenance. I have asked three dealer service departments if they prime the system after a FF change, their answer is no. Some add Diesel Kleen to the housing prior to refilling, some just drop the new filter in.

Could this be a cause that leads to a HPFP failure? Hard to say without any real data, I am sure the owners who have had a pump failure after their first 20k filter change believe so but to correlate it all would be difficult. You have to wonder how many higher mileage CR TDI motors are running around that have just had their FF changed every 20k by a dealer service department and no priming?

Last edited:

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
i don't know if it is good or bad but i never primed mine.
i have 139K miles on my 09, this is what i usually do:
1) Start using Powerservice a couple of tanks before I plan to change the filter
2) Remove old filter
3) Insert new filter
4) Fill the canister with Powerservice
5) Close the filter
6) Cycle key 5 times (without starting the car. I read different opinion if it does or does not circulate fuel, so I just do it anyway)
7) Start the car, let it idle for few minutes, than take it to a quick spin.
8) Open the hood and check for leaks.

Not sure if it is the proper procedure, but it worked fine for me

psrumors

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
i don't know if it is good or bad but i never primed mine.
i have 139K miles on my 09, this is what i usually do:
1) Start using Powerservice a couple of tanks before I plan to change the filter
2) Remove old filter
3) Insert new filter
4) Fill the canister with Powerservice
5) Close the filter
6) Cycle key 5 times (without starting the car. I read different opinion if it does or does not circulate fuel, so I just do it anyway)
7) Start the car, let it idle for few minutes, than take it to a quick spin.
8) Open the hood and check for leaks.

Not sure if it is the proper procedure, but it worked fine for me
If cycling the key does circulate fuel then you did prime the system.