cj5-wrangler tdi

nwca

TDI
99 beetle tdi, 2003 golf TDI, 2003 beetle cabrio
I own a 96 TDI Wagen and decided "why not build a Jeep".

I'm selling them both now. Both are on my local CL (humboldt County CA).

The Jeep is on a 1955 frame with a wrangler body, top, doors, windshield, steering, axles, transmission. It drives great, will do more on the freeway that I'd want to do, and gets in the low 30's.

I was told the TDI for the swap is out of a 97, but it was ordered so I couldn't verify it. I pulled the head off and it had no real indications of any wear at all. Runs great and seems very tight. More below on it.

Tranny is a AX15 with a np231 Transfer case and a external clutch slave cylinder. Dana 30 with a Aussie locker up front and Dana 35 with a detroit locker in the rear.

Power brakes, steering, tilt wheel. Exhaust/egt gauge along with Tach and Boost gauges.

Have a spare head going with it, and tranny, and tach, along with axles for all sides.

Tires have less than 200 miles on them. 32 by 11.5 Goodyear MTR's (kevlar sides).

Lead lights in the rear with a third turn/brake light (led also) and led driving lights in the front.

Almost everything else is new (hoses and fluids and airfilter).

Has a true Bosch Land Rover pump, was told its from a 300 but I'd not know how to tell. Its never been moded (at all) that I know of (and no reason to think it had been).

Both are on my local CL. Give me a call if you have any questions. Been ran some time, starts great, a tight motor.

Will make someone a very good and rare vehicle (both are) and the body had no rust before being painted. I believe the body is a 93 also. Hood is fiberglass, fenders are a little different, off a TJ kit. Also have the stock rear ones.

Oh, and the winch was pulled out once. Damn hard to get this jeep stuck. Great shape.

If anyone can post the pics for me, I'd appreciate it. I've never done it.. Just email me and I'll send them.

Thanks for looking and I'm asking $11,000 for the Jeep.

https://humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/4933488381.html

Last edited:

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Confused. Your jeep has a VW tdi or a Land Rover tdi. It has to have a diesel to get 30mpg! Post photos

nwca

TDI
Last edited:

nwca

TDI
The Passat is sold, but still have the TDI Jeep for sale. Will post a video of it soon.

nwca

TDI
And boxed in. Thought about shortening the body to match the frame. :) But that seemed weird, while putting a longer (harder to flip), less rust prone (galvanized) body on it that could fit more parts (top, windshield, steering, heater, clutch/brake assembly, etc) seemed worth the effort.

while 5's look good, the frame could buckle (not boxed) and your knees are in your chest (short wheelbase makes it cramped for anyone who's very tall).

Thanks for looking.

dcproven

TDI
2000 beetle
That doesn't look like a 300tdi Bosch pump IMHO, but maybe it's been modified to fit your project, but it is a cool rig nonetheless, if it was a Land Rover I may have considered it! :)

nwca

TDI
I'd not now how to visually see a difference (based off the pictures I took)

I do know the pump pulley adjust the timing (not turning the pump itself) and I had to have the front of the bracket (that bolts to the block) machined for the larger pump housing face. So its not a 1.6 or 1.9 IDI pump someone made to work and sold me as a LR pump unless its unlike any others I've seen (input shaft and size of pump face).

I've dealt with two different "frankenstien" pumps in the past built for me. One put out decent power and showed good drivabilty, the other didn't. This one, with no adjustment, outshines them both.

This pump still has the factory crimp on the fuel adjustment and I've not adjusted anything on it, just put it on (after having the bracket machined) and it works (as I've been told LR pumps do).

So, how would one tell visually a difference in pumps based off these pictures? Did VW use a IDI pump with a larger frontal area (requiring the pump mount to have a larger whole)? And what about the pump nose? a standard IDI or TDI pump sprocket (have both) would not work...

It'll probably sell today or tomorrow, my daughter was sad to hear it, but for personal reasons it has to go.

nwca

TDI
Sold

I forgot to mention in the listing though, this motor had like no blow by at all. I'll miss it but am glad its gone.

This will be my last TDI I ever own.... Yall have fun with yours though and have fun.