Me & my Red Rider Against the Squirrels!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackbear

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Charcoal
Trap and Remove them to a Park a far ways away...

bam_bam_dip said:
I've got these stinkin squirrels chunkin' pecans at my car. Well, maybe not, but I had to relate it to my car somehow. I've got a couple of big pecan trees in the front yard. It's been making some good looking nuts the last couple of years. ...
That's it. If I can manage to discourage those little peckers long enough, I'll be a happy man.
Game on Mr. squirrel, the war is ON!!!!:mad::mad:
-----------------------------------------------

We live in the center of a large urban village and killing squirrels is also not an option. But after going through the state fish and game laws as well as indepth discussions with the wildlife groups we came upon a legal way to export the rodents. Rule is you can't harm them and you can't make them somebody else's problem.

We got a miniture sized metal garbage can about 2 feet tall with a lid from our local hardware store - was designed for oily rag containment in a shop setting. We waited the hinged lid with about 5 lbs and strung a long clothes line wire through the tree branches and tied it to the lid.

Now we have a trap at the base of the tree with a control line tied off at the back door to the house.

A pile sunflower seeds inside the bucket does the trick. The little buggers cannot resist those seeds and will eventually dive into the bucket and rummage around - only peering out to check on competition.

The trick is they will always shy away from standard wire traps but dark little places with food inside and the lid open only enough for them to squeeze in seems to be what they prefer. When they are use to the trap then you are in. It only takes one to start the hoard fighting to get in the bucket.

Then its time to lower the lid and cart them off to the local wildlife refuge.

It took me about 4 weeks and 12 trips but I managed to totally remove the local group of rodents.

Now its just one or two a year every spring and we keep our fig and other fruit trees intact.

Now what do I do about the damn birds...

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Man, I'd like to see a pic or diagram of that. You know, for the other dummies that can't visualize what you're saying....:D

Jackbear

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Charcoal
Modified VW OEM Squirrel Trap ??

bam_bam_dip said:
Man, I'd like to see a pic or diagram of that. You know, for the other dummies that can't visualize what you're saying....:D
======================================

Here is my former TDI's oily rag bucket now converted to trap pests.

What you don't see in the pic is the three cups full of sunflower seeds, still in their shells, that I pour into the bottom of the bucket. Seeds are available from any grocery store in the pet section. Leave the chewed seed shells in the bottom and just add more seeds. This makes the animals forage a bit - giving you time to close the lid.

The two concrete forming stakes are to stablize the bucket during trapping.

The weight is nothing more than a row of s/s one inch nuts on a threaded bolt. For trapping the larger and more energetic large gray fox squirrels I double the size of the weight. It has to be heavy enough to stop the varmits from bench pressing the lid open and chance getting their paws stuck in the lid.

Goal is not to cause harm/pain to the varmits - this is the trick to keeping rodent lovers OK with this relocation process. The lid had 5 vent holes drilled in it for air.

This arrangement is now used by our local wildlife group.

Note that I had to reinforce the red lines end where it hooks to the buckets handle with a length of old speedo cable sheeth from my former Rabbit. The rodents would chew the wire when the bucket was closed in some vain attempt to get into the seeds.

During transport make sure to set the bucket in the front passenger seat of your TDI with the lid opening side pressed aginst the knee rest/dash.

You would not want them to get out in the car.

One last note.
The darkened bucket truly does quiet the animals.

It also shows the wide range of personality between them. One or two of the agressive larger males fought aginst the lid to get out during transport. For those my wife comes along and plays symphonic music on the radio or sings to them. [ Its true! ] Others just sit quietly and even others seem not to notice and go on eating and appear confused and irritated when you tip the bucket and open the lid to release them - as if lunch is over prematurly. One even seem to sing along with the radio by chuck-chucking to the music when I turned up the rock and roll.

And Yes - we even had one get loose in our Passat TDI variant. I got lazy and just leaned over and pushed the passenger side door open and tilted the bucket out and opened the lid. The critter jumped out, took a few steps, turned and bolted back into the car.
I jumped out the drivers side and he just sat on the passengers seat eating a seed that had spilled and when he was done he lept out and dashed over to a nearby tree.

-------------------------------

Oh - by the way. The wildlife groups way of getting the hand-raised baby squirrels they tend, to go into a transport box, is to make a cardboard box nest out of clean fluffy strips of old tshirts. They cannot resist apparently burrowing into the soft warm clean cotton pile.

Just put the box in the tree up high in the late afternoon where the regular squirrel drays/nests are, and come back before dawn and tape up the entry hole in the side. There is a 80% chance you have one or more squirrels inside.

Last edited:

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
Who would have thought being nice and humane could be any fun whatsoever.

Thank you for opening up a whole new world to us.

But, we're like little kids with an ant farm, when we get bored watching them dig their little tunnels, we're gonna go back to frying them with a magnifying glass.

wanders

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS- Baltic Green
With fall coming on, the tree rats are at it again here. Acorns dropping on my TDI this AM when I went out to go to work.

Time to make this thread re-surface!

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Courtesy of DD

FW: YO! Who you callin' whitey, Whitey
(bam, Whitey felt you should see this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldorf
:D

Send that one to bam bam dip.

metalgouger

TDI
2001 New Beetle
A new tactic

Make a squirrel feeder from 3" pvc pipe. All you need is
1-cap
4' section of pipe and a 4" section
1-90 fitting
1-45 fitting
1- bag of deer feed (dried corn off the cob)

Glue (or screw)the 90 to the one end of the 4' pipe
then glue in the 4" section
then glue in the 45 so it is pointed up
The cap is to be removable, it keeps the rain out of the top and how it's you fill it up.
Now hang this at the base of the tree about 3 feet off the ground.
3" conduit clamps work the best, Or rain gutter down spout clamps.
Fill the bottom fittings first (or the corn will come shooting out when you pour it into the top). The squirrels will purch themselves on the crook in the fittings and then its up to you on how to pop them.
Beeman makes a great single pump 5mm pellet gun that has enough energy to do the job nicely.
Happy Stewing :eek:)

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Sounds intriguing, but I'm having a hard time visualizing it. Can you post a pic or drawing of this contraption?

Status
Not open for further replies.