iPhone 4 - Random Bluetooth Disconnect

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Randomly my iPhone 4 (iOS 4.01) will disconnect from the Bluetooth module in the car. It seems that the phone just turns off the BT radio and I have to go back into settings and just turn BT back on. I've got the 729A/9W3 module.

Is anyone else seeing this or am I alone? I know it's likely another Apple bug, however I haven't seen this with my wife's phone, but I'm not in the car with her as much as I am alone. My iPhone 3G worked perfectly for over a year.

vdubJettaTDI_2010

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
BlueTooth

I have the 32GS iPhone and like you mentioned it works.

Were you using the VW Bluetooth feature or a headset (maybe both) during the connection.

The settings would show BT, but later turns itself off?

The iPhone shows the VW in the devices ok?

Could be a simple thing as do a iPhone restore to the original factory settings. Make sure you backup the iPhone first. Get you get the most reason update (two days ago?).

I'm sure you have done a restore with the 3GS which you can lose your current list of goodies.

When you discover the issues, please post an update. I would like to know for future reference.

Good Luck

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
I had the same random disconnect issues with my iPhone 3GS. I have noticed with my iPhone 4 that the disconnects are happening much less often, for whatever reason. BT on the phone never turned off, it just lost its connection with the car. My understanding is that this problem is caused by something in Apple's BT packet. There's a thread on VWvortex I think that goes into detail about what the problem is and apparently, the programming change is present on European iPhones, or something like that. I don't know, the thread was a big rant about Apple and the iPhone so I stopped reading it eventually.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Perhaps the iP4's Blue Tooth antenna is as sensitive as the regular antenna. Have you gotten the "bumper" case for it yet?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
The iPhone 4 antenna issue only occurs when the phone is being held, and the two antennas are being bridged by skin contact. When I'm in the car the phone is either in the coin tray forward of the gear selection lever or the cupholder if I don't have a drink. (I've had a case since the day I bought the phone FWIW..)

Everything works fine with the BT when I first get in the car. The phone pairs, shows the VW BT module in the list of available and connected devices. Just randomly while driving the BT module makes the disconnect chime. I then look at the iPhone 4 and the BT radio is then turned off.

When my wife and I were driving the other day I noticed this behavior with her phone as well. This has to be an Apple issue the more I think of it and I'm hoping it's addressed in the next software update.

Dimon80

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Same thing started to happen with my iPhone 3G after I installed iOS 4. Seems like the random disconnect with blue tooth happens when the phone has been restarted. I happen to drain the battery almost every day before I get into the car for my afternoon drive home. Usually I go into settings, turn off BT, then turn it back on and select the device used. It's almost like a ritual now: get into the car, plug in the phone, wait for boot up, restart the BT, by that time the a/c is blasting cold air and off I go. :)

Midnight Rider

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
Noticed it today when I took my wifes car, never had this problem when I had my blackberry...

The car has the Kufatec Fiscon Bluetooth Basic, so not [FONT=&quot][/FONT] a VW issue alone.

Any solutions yet??

Or anyone contact Apple???

TXRanger83

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Well I just got my iPhone 4 so I dont have a huge sample to base it on, but so far its worked fine. I had the iPhone 3g prior to the 4 and never had any disconnect issues. I know the software I have is 4.0.2 so I am not sure if that is the same software version you have but I will repost if I have any issues

I did notice it said Skoda when I connected it, so I don't know if thats because of the coding change I did or what, because I never had to reset my BT with my 3G after the dealer did it, but I know my phone showed Volkswagen on there and not Skoda.

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Wild guess here, is your I-phone wifi on? Make sure it is turned off and see if it makes a difference. It may not make any difference at all, but it is worth a try.

BTW, I want to get a I-phone 4 and am not too concerned about the antenna/kung fu grip issue. How do you like it otherwise??
<EDIT, I have a 1st gen I-phone now and love it. EDIT>

Bill

Last edited:

Midnight Rider

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
WiFi is off, thanks for the tip though!

I really like my iphone, so much better than the blackberry I had before. Although I would like the ability to customize message tones without jailbreaking the phone. But that is just one minuscule gripe I have.

I it just user friendly and works. But then again I hear that the android based phones are awesome too!

FIUNation

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI
This is not with the iphone....but FWIW...

This started happening with my HTC EVO, from Sprint. My phone would connect fine, then after a couple of minutes (even if I was in the middle of a conversation), the BT would disconnect from the car. As if it weren't synced. I tried turning the BT off/on on the phone and the same thing would happen. Finally, I deleted the VW info from the phone and started everything over - scanning, putting in the passcode - as if with a new phone. That fixed it and it hasn't disconnected since.

Maybe is has something to do with the car?

TXRanger83

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
After having my iPhone4 for a little over a month now I can say this has happened to me a few times, but I was able to just go into the settings on the phone and just tap the "Skoda_BT" and it will re-connect.

yellajacket20

TDI
Jetta
I have the same issue with an HTC Hero. It usually connects just fine to start, but sometimes it will randomly disconnect from the car. I will then turn the screen on, talk on speakerphone for a few moments, and then it will reconnect to the car's BT. It's weird, but I have learned to work around it. Becomes kind of a pain when it happens right before I need to shift.... :p

RxCritical

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, White Gold, manual
I don't think it's necessarily just a I Phone issue. My Verizon Samsung Alias 2 does the exact same think. Some days it works great, some days it disconnects every 5 minutes. The same phone has no issue on any other bluetooth device. I have the 9W3.