05 wagon rebuild

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I figured I should start a thread on rebuilding my brothers car I bought from him after the timing belt failed. His new turbo and exhaust are still good. Engine has cracked pistons and cam is scarred so I figured a replacement engine would be cheaper. I bought an engine that had an auto tranny on it without the turbo for 750 and had it shipped by Fastenal which is very cheap. Engine had around 250 miles on it.

I had an issue with my 05 golf tranny where the bearings were bad so I figured I would pull the engine and tranny out of the wagon and put the tranny in the golf till I could figure out what to do with the bad tranny. Which after taking it apart I wasn't comfortable with the remaining bearings and I found a used one shipped for 415.

To make sure the engine is good since I didn't hear it run I took the head off. Still has the hatch marks. Cam has two lobs just starting to wear past the chamfer. Lifters were only lightly scarred. So I will be replacing the headgasket and putting pd150 head bolts in. I also will be replacing the oil chain. But I still need to look up how to do that.

Already has a sb stage 2 clutch that needs to be swapped over to the other engine.

I found you can pull the alt off and then take the ac compressor off the bracket but leave lines hooked up and then leave the power steering pump on the bracket. Move all the wiring and hosed and shifter cables to the side and take the front clip off including the radiator and then the engine comes out the front without disturbing the power steering and ac.

I might not be able to update for a while as the cam and timing belt are a pretty Major cost to save for when I have a running car. I also plan a bigger lift kit as it has 1 inch but would like 3. Plan on putting the rear springs onto the golf.

It already has a 2 inch receiver hitch as well. Can't wait to get this going so my wife can take as needed or I can use as a spare if the golf breaks down. Nice having the spare parts to keeping the golf going.

Still gathering parts for my 04 golf that had an engine bat fire. Getting close.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk