Can't find fuel filter for sale anywhere!

eyyopomps

TDI
2014 Audi Q5, 1998 MK3 Jetta, 2010 MK6 Golf, 2000 Jetta TDI
So I've been trying to hunt down the fuel filter for the AHU for some time now and recently discovered that VW discontinued the part. Is the only option to convert it to the ALH filter and add a T valve? I was surprised that I can't even find the correct one aftermarket..

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I'm fairly sure that I found them listed at Napa, but I can't swear to that.

I was looking at switching away from using the T-valve, but elected to just replace the valve due to cost.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
napa carries several. From $12 for ATM 3622704("ultra 8" brand) to $50 for ATM KL75(mahle brand). they also have hengst, bosch and napa gold brands

Idparts has mann filters for $19. if that is your preferred vendor or need other parts as well.

eyyopomps

TDI
Hmm, the person I bought this from must have put a different type of filter on the car because I cant find any photos online of the type mine has. The one thats is currently on it looks like a cross between the CR type filter and the ALH type filter! lol. I guess ill order a kit that includes the T-valve and clip to get the correct filter back on.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sounds like someone might have put a filter in your car from a '98 New Beetle, which did not have a fuel filter Tee. Those are no longer available. The link I showed is the correct filter for your car. You'd also have to buy a tee, which as far as I know is a dealer-only item. http://www.idparts.com/fuel-filter-tee-a3b4-p-727.html Not cheap.

eyyopomps

TDI

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I got a replacement from a seller on eBay for $10.10 shipped, but may well just be a local front for one of the Chinese sources.
Linky

I now have used one from a parts car, but the cheap one has been doing fine, with no leaks since July of last year.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's an ALH tee. O-rings for the A3/B4 are on the filter, not the tee. Not interchangeable.

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
In FL, I doubt you'll benefit from the tee. Just buy the filter for a 86 Jetta 1.6d.

-Todd

eyyopomps

TDI
In FL, I doubt you'll benefit from the tee. Just buy the filter for a 86 Jetta 1.6d.

-Todd
I tried to find the 98 beetle one but wasnt having any luck. I figured anything older was just discontinued and the mk4 ALH style one is much easier to get ahold of although I dont miss having to always check that T for leaks...

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
That's an ALH tee. O-rings for the A3/B4 are on the filter, not the tee. Not interchangeable.
The main differences are that on the ALH engine the T rests at the bottom of the T- opening...

While the earlier one was the same setup that has been used going all the way back to 88-89 model years. It has a post sticking up from the filter head that the older style T slid down onto the post....

Over the years I installed this setup on Golf & Jetta cars from before which did not have the preheat valve. the first car I ever put it on was an 85 Jetta TD....

Adapting the car the newer setup is pretty easy, purchase a newer style T valve, install it in the return line, then put the newer style filter in....

From my recent searches today the ALH style filter are cheap and is really easy to get so would be a good upgrade that will save you headaches later....

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Filters for the Mk3/B4 are readily available. In fact you can pretty much find diesel filters going all the way back to Mk1 pretty easily. If you have trouble with Mk1 just go to the IH parts counter, you can get a compatible diesel filter there if you need one..lol.

Bosch 74017 is the standard issue filter for Mk3 and I would guess it has no fitment problems in the B4. It does use the earlier T fitting that's been around since late 80's.

The nice thing about the Mk3/B4 type filter is the T fitting o-ring comes with the filter instead of on the T fitting, so every time you replace the filter you replace the o-ring, which is a good thing. Others with Mk4's have complained that the o-rings on the mk4 T fitting do fail and need to be replaced.

Steve