Audi A3 Dieselgate -- Info

treweman

TDI
2012 A3 TDI
A bit of info. I called the NYS Dept. of Taxation and Finance to ask about sales taxes. Since we are selling the cars to the VW group, we can't do a traditional trade in. I was informed that I could file a form AU11 Refund of Sales Tax, and given the circumstances, I have a good chance of being reimbursed. No promises, but ...

My situation is crazy ... I bought my Audi A3 in November of 2014 as a Certified used car for $29.5K, and my payout for the buyback is estimated a bit over $34K. I simply can't afford not to take the deal. I love my car, but not that much.

In the meantime, I recently flew to Alabama, bought a 1991 Toyota truck (yes, with the 22re engine), and drove it the 1100 miles back to upstate NY. I paid cash, so no payments. Got 29.83 mpg on the drive, and that was with no work done on the engine beforehand. When I sell my Audi, I intend to take the money and pay off my son's college debts. I will drive the truck for a while - payment free - while I ponder whether to buy another car. If I do opt for something newer, I have narrowed the choices to a new GTI or a used MINI Cooper S. Frankly, I'm leaning toward just driving the truck for a year or two and saving money. To be debt free would be wonderful.

dopechess

TDI
2013 A3
When you follow the instructions from ChinaBob above you register, select whether you want a buyout or compensation and at the end of the process they print a summary that has the estimated date for your appointment, in my case 11/1. Dunno if dates are assigned on a first come, first serve basis or some other set of considerations, but given there are 1/2 million cars to be processed... though far fewer are Audis... its probably all going to take a while. So if you are one of those that did want out sooner rather than later, you probably want to sign up as soon as possible. If not, keep track of whats going on and wait to register.

But my dear, dear dopechess... you are a true Einstein! Fabulous point that never crossed my mind. Assuming you do less than 1K miles a month it does seem indeed like you could keep driving, yet the buyback price remains the same. Not sure you'll be able to hold them off for a year and a half, but every month you do is certainly free money. At this point, I just want to move on, but for those that don't and whose monthly mileage isnt excessive, deferring registration as long as you can is a rather clever strategy... bravo for recognizing it!
thanks for the compliment my dear Tailwagger! Since i still have payments, why not prolong the turn in date? i still owe what i still owe Audi USA. Rumor has it that this process will take some time. ;-)

crak

TDI
2015 Audi A3 TDI
Quick question. Does the "Total Buyback Amount Before Loan Payoff" stays the same as long as you keep your mileage under the specified values? If so, since I'm still making payments on it, eventually I will get that money back when they buy it back because the payoff is less?

dopechess

TDI
2013 A3
Quick question. Does the "Total Buyback Amount Before Loan Payoff" stays the same as long as you keep your mileage under the specified values? If so, since I'm still making payments on it, eventually I will get that money back when they buy it back because the payoff is less?
yup! depreciation free driving! and even if you go over the mileage amount, it appears to affect the buy back minimally. i would double check for you own circumstances though.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Double wrong on your part.. Lesses do get some compensation back.

https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/att._3a_-_lessee_restitution_table.pdf

I wish I was wrong but in this case you are.

The amounts listed on this site are what you get. These amounts already have the incentives added to them. For example.. my car last Sept was valued around $17-18K.. but I'm getting $22K.
https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/att._1a_-_buyback_modification_table.pdf

Adjusted by this mileage adjusted table.
https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/att._2c_-_passat_and_a3_mileage_table.pdf

Feel free to read through the 50+ pages here to verify what I'm saying.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=463015
Pete, it wasn't sufficient for you to state I was wrong not only once, so you had to add another statement to the same effect, huh?

Way to earn respect on this board! No need to be rude to be right....

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Ok bud..

I'm sorry your feelings got hurt.

You told me I was wrong.. I couldn't care less.. lost no sleep over it.

I say a similar statement to you but I guess I repeated myself and your feelings are hurt.

Oye vey.

Too bad we don't live closer... I'd buy you a beer and hopefully forget about how silly this is.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Wow Pete you were such a dick telling him he was posting incorrect information!

Wonder if he was so hurt over that post that it took him 2 months to muster up the courage to respond? Lol

Last edited:

Tailwagger

TDI
2015 A3
FYI, if you didnt see it AW article on the return rate. 210K out of 475K have already selected the buyback. Take rate could reach 85%! Apparently you have to register by sometime in Sept, so if you haven't you should look into it, otherwise I think you wind up in the class action pool.

Tailwagger

TDI
2015 A3
Oh... forgot to add, I signed on a a TTS. When the GLA is turned around in couple of years, I'll be back on the market for a diesel, like a 3 or C. And so I bid a bittersweet adios! Certainly one of the nicer groups of owners on the net and truly a very good car rather unfairly maligned.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI S-Line, 2005.5 Jetta TDI (BRM) 6MT (02Q)
Despite me stating that I am going to keep the car, my DSG issues have gotten more frustrating lately, and I filled all of the paperwork and submitted it online last night. Again, it is sad to see a car with this many options go, but the deal is very much too good to let go. It is more of a financial opportunity at this point.

That is, if they take my modified car back. So, it is all contingent upon that.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Despite me stating that I am going to keep the car, my DSG issues have gotten more frustrating lately, and I filled all of the paperwork and submitted it online last night. Again, it is sad to see a car with this many options go, but the deal is very much too good to let go. It is more of a financial opportunity at this point.

That is, if they take my modified car back. So, it is all contingent upon that.
If you are close, I could probably use some of your mods.

I decided to keep mine, a 2010 premium plus with only 36k miles on the ODO.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
If you are close, I could probably use some of your mods.
I decided to keep mine, a 2010 premium plus with only 36k miles on the ODO.

That's cool. Sadly I'm in NY. But I'll likely have an AFE intake for sale, possibly the Cobra Sport exhaust, but that may be it. If there is more, I'll let you know.

This is all contingent on whether or not they will take a modified car... or semi modified car.

RH

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
Well. My paperwork was reviewed and all together. So now VWGOA is determining my eligibility and will make a final offer to me within 10 business days.

I'll update as this progresses...

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
That's cool. Sadly I'm in NY. But I'll likely have an AFE intake for sale, possibly the Cobra Sport exhaust, but that may be it. If there is more, I'll let you know.
This is all contingent on whether or not they will take a modified car... or semi modified car.
RH
You car WILL be bought back as long as it can drive under it's own enging power.

Mod or no mod is NOT an issue.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
You car WILL be bought back as long as it can drive under it's own enging power.
Mod or no mod is NOT an issue.
It absolutely can, and that makes me quite happy to hear. If this car came in a 6MT, I'd likely fight to keep it.

RH

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
It absolutely can, and that makes me quite happy to hear. If this car came in a 6MT, I'd likely fight to keep it.
RH
You don't need to "fight" to keep your car either. Nobody can force you to give up your car or refuse to register your car. It's just that if you do nothing, you won't get any restitution.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
You don't need to "fight" to keep your car either. Nobody can force you to give up your car or refuse to register your car. It's just that if you do nothing, you won't get any restitution.
You will eventually have to do something.

States that actually take emissions seriously will require it for registration.

The EPA could eventually play hard ball to with consumers that don't voluntarily return for the fix. They will require VW to meet a 90 or 95% compliance. They aren't going to just let everyone ignore it.

Being stubborn is just a waste of time. We got screwed when this come to light and at some point we should just move on.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
States that actually take emissions seriously will require it for registration.
...except for the 44 states that have signed on to the settlement, and/or any state which takes any of the settlement money, who are prohibited from refusing registration to affected vehicles.
They will require VW to meet a 90 or 95% compliance.
The requirement is 85%, and that's between the government and VW, not the owners.

Matatk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 A3 TDI Wagon
This is my most recent email 11/3 after uploading my registration and DL. How far along is everyone?

"We have reviewed the documents you submitted as part of your claim with reference number XXXXXXXX. Currently, your application contains all of the necessary documentation to determine your eligibility. We are now determining your eligibility and will inform you whether you are eligible to participate in the VW/Audi Diesel Emissions Settlement Program."

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
A few people have made it to the next step of receiving an offer letter. There's a spreadsheet that tracks a lot of the status information; adding your details would help out.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Just read an article on Yahoo about Audi having cheating devices in gasser cars in Europe.

A small part me of selling my car back earlier than later is based on fear if Audi or VW decide to file bankruptcy at some point to avoid all these fines and buybacks. Who really knows how many more of their cars are running around with cheat programs.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
Just read an article on Yahoo about Audi having cheating devices in gasser cars in Europe.

A small part me of selling my car back earlier than later is based on fear if Audi or VW decide to file bankruptcy at some point to avoid all these fines and buybacks. Who really knows how many more of their cars are running around with cheat programs.
you're selling? looking at your signature, it appears you have a modded A3 that most diesel-heads would kill for!
i'm sure you have your reasons - i'm just surprised to see someone who's put that much into customizing an already great ride ready to offload rather than wait and potentially take the fix $.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
you're selling? looking at your signature, it appears you have a modded A3 that most diesel-heads would kill for!
i'm sure you have your reasons - i'm just surprised to see someone who's put that much into customizing an already great ride ready to offload rather than wait and potentially take the fix $.

There won't be a fix for the nonurea injected models. I know people are saying otherwise but you'll see.. they're just stalling and at the end will say sorry we couldn't come up with anything. Nonurea injected models don't come even close to EPA regulations.

I'm offloading now because eventually I will anyways... but now with more and more news coming out about even non diesel Audi cars having cheating software, I'm afraid at some point VW or Audi will say enough is enough and file bankruptcy, I know thats a long shot but rather be safe. I'm making almost $10K on my car from the purchase price 18 months ago.. so I'm ok with that.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/volkswagen-probe-in-germany-extended-to-chairman-1478429066

Last edited:

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
There won't be a fix for the nonurea injected models. I know people are saying otherwise but you'll see.. they're just stalling and at the end will say sorry we couldn't come up with anything. Nonurea injected models don't come even close to EPA regulations.

I'm offloading now because eventually I will anyways... but now with more and more news coming out about even non diesel Audi cars having cheating software, I'm afraid at some point VW or Audi will say enough is enough and file bankruptcy, I know thats a long shot but rather be safe. I'm making almost $10K on my car from the purchase price 18 months ago.. so I'm ok with that.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/volkswagen-probe-in-germany-extended-to-chairman-1478429066
The fix is already imbedded in all of our cars, it is activated when the car is being tested lol.

I have a hard time believing that a fix cannot be done to our A3s. It may take a small urea tank added on but it's doable

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
The fix is already imbedded in all of our cars, it is activated when the car is being tested lol.
I have a hard time believing that a fix cannot be done to our A3s. It may take a small urea tank added on but it's doable
I hear what you're saying, but theres no room for the tank. And it would cost way too much to equip a non urea injection car with urea injection to make it worthwhile for them.. plus they would pay us $5000 on top of that.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
I hear what you're saying, but theres no room for the tank. And it would cost way too much to equip a non urea injection car with urea injection to make it worthwhile for them.. plus they would pay us $5000 on top of that.
In some cars the tank is in the trunk, plenty of room in there? Just have to see I guess.

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
As much as I hate to get rid of my A3, some life changes have occurred and the buy back is the best way for me to get out from under the car and maybe recoup some of the money I spent in mods

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
As much as I hate to get rid of my A3, some life changes have occurred and the buy back is the best way for me to get out from under the car and maybe recoup some of the money I spent in mods
That is pretty much the same situation I am in.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
I am getting somewhat impatient now. My paperwork was accepted over 2 weeks ago. Though, I'm more than sure they are getting slammed with all of these requests. They stated on their site that I'd be contacted with a final offer within 10 business days (probably a form of attrition to allow the cars to run up the mileage). It will be 10 business days tomorrow. Winter tires are going on it in 2 days. :(

At this point I am done with the car. I'm ready for it to be gone and for me to move on to something else. I do not know what I'll come across, but I know I'll miss it, but not the DSG. That killed it for me.