Highest recorded milage on an ALH or similar.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I love a sunroof and wont own a car without one.
They're good for drawing air through, and when it's not hot enough for A/C, but warm enough you want some air. Or opened up all the way for some sun.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Run clean,dry biodiesel and you'll get a million miles or more. The lubricity is so much better than petro diesel.

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
An example of a PITA non-engine repair: Got a used 2002 Volvo - generally in very good condition - but the handle for the hood release was broken (just the release cable sticking through the cabin - has to be pulled with a plyers).

I hate little broken things like that, so I set about trying to fix it. Got a new (used) handle off Ebay. Perfect. Nope. Virtually impossible, with the space limitations, to get the existing wire attached to the handle. (existing wire too short, so need an extension). I tried a half dozen ways, really not doable - would really need to run a whole new cable. Of course, the cable runs under, around, and through every hidden nook and cranny you can think of.

Total PITA. As much as I hate jerry-rigged stuff, I ended up leaving the cable, albeit with a handle of sorts attached to it so, at least, don't need to use a plyers anymore....

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
Run clean,dry biodiesel and you'll get a million miles or more. The lubricity is so much better than petro diesel.
I run commercially produced B99 (from Soybean oil).

Time will tell - there's a lot of controversy on whether biodiesel is good or bad over the long haul. I'd say there are pluses and minuses. A whole debate unto itself, though....

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
I agree - the interior can last for as long as they are cared for - especially true if there's one owner throughout the life of a car, and they are diligent. But, time usually takes its toll - even on well-built Mercedes. Its hard enough to find an an older Mercedes in clean condition - older VW's are typically, well..... And all those little parts can be expensive and tedious to replace (often more expensive and tedious than engine repairs) - and that's only when you can even find the replacement parts.

For the MB sunroofs - the repair, done professionally, supposedly runs around $1,000. I haven't found anyone that claims it can be done by a DIYer (and that's coming from people who tear down and rebuild engines).

Of course, who ever really uses a sunroof? So long as it doesn't leak....its just, all those little broken things can add up to a car that seems like a piece of junk. Its largely because of this that I prefer cars with simple interiors, and manual everything. Nothing blows more than a broken electric seat. The one exception might be electric windows - and only because hand-crank windows don't have much of a reputation for holding up any better.

Good to hear on the clutch though. I got my TDI with about 165,000 miles. Now at 200,000 miles. Clutch was fine when I got it (no idea if it had ever been replaced), so, if it ever goes bad, its on me. But, for now, its as good as it was when I got it.

Good call on lot's of little things add up and make the car more junky. That's why i try and stay on top of all the little things that break over time.

As well i agree on manual options sometimes. Especially older cars, in the 80's they didn't have the "power" stuff figured out as good i don't think.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Anyway the thread took a turn from the OP's original post. Keep posting on highest miles on your tdi's!!!! Mine has 300500km's. Not a contender i don't imagine but it's seen some road trips for sure!! :p

rocketman

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 2001 GAL BLUE
01 Beetle 398,xxx miles. No mods. Original Clutch , Inj pump & Turbo. 1 Alt. 1 Alt clutch pulley. 1 Starter (yesterday). 1 MAF. 1 Exhaust flex down pipe.
T.O BRG starting to get noisy. Never have cleaned intake or EGR , but may need to soon if cleaning turbo doesn't solve limp mode.
Still get 46-48 MPG. Still runs good, but starting to show her age :)

Last edited:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Here's one I saw at a GTG in 2007... Pretty astonishing it was. Can't imagine what it's up to now, or if it's even on the road still.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Wow,that's the nicest 2door golf TDI ever!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Saw that Golf in Portland two years ago at Fix 'um Haus's GTG. Aaron from Boraparts replaced the cluster and set it to the correct mileage.

Car belongs to a guy in LA who has a weekend house in Palm Springs and also travels to and from Colorado frequently. Original clutch.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Yeah, after I saw that I felt like re-parking my car around the block somewhere out of view. He's obviously a devoted TDI Guy. Inspiring to see but he set the bar higher than folks like myself can even fathom. I take care of my car but I also subscribe to the "it's a tool, not a jewel" school of thought. When/if detailing my car before a meet it's frustrating because there's literally no end. Best comment I've heard is, "It's the kind of thing where it can take as much time as you're willing to spend on it". Too true. This car was truly exceptional. Kudos...

jiggseob

Veteran Member
98 Beetle with 300 k miles

500,000 kms, no engine work.

Clutch replaced by my silliness. Noise from engine area when you press clutch pedal. Kind of a grindey scrapey noise. Ordred-up a throwout bearing and took it apart. Throwout bearing seemed fine, arm was fine, pivot was fine, fingers were fine. No scrape marks anywhere. Put in new throwout bearing, put back together. Still noise, ordered up complete clutch kit, dmf, disc, and pressure plate. Put that all in, still noise. Arghh.

Turned out to be ignition switch, when key was in run position, switch would feed power to starter through clutch switch. When you push clutch in, clutch switch would close, energizing starter (while running) and thus grindey scrapey noise. So the original clutch would probably still be running fine.

At 200 k miles, gas station attendant filled it with gasoline for my wife. She drove it 60 miles home, it died and wouldnt start. Drained and flushed out gasoline, filled with diesel, that pump has run another 100 k miles and is still going fine.

The highest mileage diesel I have is a 3B diesel Toyota Landcruiser with 600,000 k kms, and going strong.

Jiggs.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
Here's one I saw at a GTG in 2007... Pretty astonishing it was. Can't imagine what it's up to now, or if it's even on the road still.
That's incredible. I take so much time and care into my cars and I don't believe mine would ever be that flawless. Do you happen to know if all interior parts more or less original? Paint?

Anywho, for the sakes of the topic of the thread, I put on about 280k on my 2004 TDI Jetta before being cutoff and totaling it:mad: Everything was original (in good working order as well, not on it's last leg) except the clutch and lift pump and it ran flawlessly.

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I'm at 450K.
Original bottom end. Head done at 260K due to lifter/timing belt failure.
Still on original trans, CV joints, injection pump, rear wheel bearings. One clutch replacement. Went through suspension, tie rods, front wheel bearings. Have yet to replace rear axle bushings and motor mounts, but they'll get done this spring.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
My '00 Jetta is at 340k miles now.

Like some of the recent Posters stated: I replaced a few things pre-maturely! However, I did overlook changing the transmission oil and suffered the loss of 5th gear. Replaced the gear and 49k miles later it is fine!

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
Not quite 600k, only up to 538,000+ miles. At 560,000, I'll have to replace the timing belt...for the 8th time.

I have only replaced the cam and lifters, and that was at around 235k. The rest of the engine is original. Turbo was rebuilt at 120k, but is original. Pump is untouched. Trans is original, clutch was replaced due to a failed DMF at 426,000.

And the beat goes on!

-Rich

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
That's incredible. I take so much time and care into my cars and I don't believe mine would ever be that flawless. Do you happen to know if all interior parts more or less original? Paint?
brief semi-off topic:

The white Golf is beautiful, but that can't be the original interior, right? In the US, at least, a two door with manual windows wasn't available with leather. Then he has added faux wood door pulls, brushed pedals, new floormats, three spoke wheel, etc. Exterior gets different wheels, joey headlights, clear sidemarkers, and sport badges. Not taking anything away from the car, of course. I'd like to know how he avoided rock chips to the hood- 3M?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Interior was updated. He's in the southwest, so not nearly the issues with rocks as other parts of the country. The finish in front is dulled a bit by sand and road debris, but I think being white helps.

jagster936

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle TDI Manual
2002 golf. Clutch changed once. Normal maintanence. 475k. It was given to me with few minor problems. Think turbo actuator is sticking.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Glenn, aka Golfland99, was at Harvieux's RocketChip GTGs in August 2006 and June 2007.

I thought maybe this photo was taken there, because that red Golf in the background looks like mine. But Glenn's Golf had about 5000 more miles in this photo than in the one I took in Fullerton.

It was good to hear from IBW that Glenn was still racking up the miles as of 2012. I hope he still is.

Edit, March 2023: looking at that top photo again, now I'm certain that the red Golf is mine. And I still run those same 16" wheels on that Golf in the summer.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI

long time customer... auto to manual swap 320k miles ago and multiple timing belt jobs and lots of other work.... still runs great but body and interior beyond reasonable repair

owner saying goodbye before putting it to pasture out at my property ... sold him another mkiv with less than 1/4 the miles and much better body/interior

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
I think any car that's driven will see this kind of mileage. Dad has 365 ish and mine has 335 ish. But my top mileage car was an 84 accord at over 480 ish. My 01 civic has over 440 now. There are 2 8th gen (06-08 vintage) civics in a security company fleet that both have over 950k - no major work on them either. They're being retired soon. Guy at work had an 02 grand am over 700k. So ultimate mileage comes down to how many miles you can physically put on before the body falls apart from rust.

gone postal

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Jetta TDI, 03 Golf TDI
I guess by some of the mileage numbers on this thread, my car is just now broken in!! 282k and just completed my 3rd timing belt job. I also had the injectors rebuilt/balanced and PP520 nozzles installed along with a Malone 1.5 tune. Guess we'll see how long my original clutch can hold on....

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Highest I know of is just under 70,000 hours, it's a forklift that's run very hard 20 hours a day.

If you say they are averaging the automotive equivalent of 30 MPH or so that makes 2,100,000 miles.

I know of many forklifts over the 50,000 mark.

Highest ALH I know in the automotive world is ~750,000 miles.

YMMV,
-BB

mattg

TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-sp, '13 Touareg 3.0 TDI (Wife's)
I'm pretty much waiting out the body rot at this point. I have 526k on the car and I'm bringing it back after a year in storage.