Highest recorded milage on an ALH or similar.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Don't believe everyone. TDIers lie a lot to justify having one. Trust your own numbers....For sure you'll beat the gassers every time though.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I know of a handful that have exceeded 500K without internal engine work, but not a ton.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'm at 275 on the original turbo and clutch... I'm sure before too much longer my wallet will take a hit for one of them.

montyypythonss

TDI
2002 jetta
397xxx on my 2002. Changed turbo @382000. Old one still works. Just upgraded to a 17/22. Changed cam and lifters @365000 during my timing belt job. Old cam lobe measured same as new cam with micrometer. One lifter had some slight scratches on top. I was surprised to see how good they looked with that amount of miles. I think the engines will out last the bodies.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
I watch U Tube a lot and search for clips, that show that.
Everything for the engine is ORIGINAL, clutch too

Last edited:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
not a ALH but my BEW has 325K
ALHs should not have an issue reaching 400K on their second injection pump

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
not a ALH but my BEW has 325K
ALHs should not have an issue reaching 400K on their second injection pump
*GROAN* and also LOL.

My 02 Golf only had 361k miles on it when I sold it to a co-worker whose son needed a car for college. The car was heavily modded for performance but was still on its factory original injector pump with no seal leaks and no other issues. The car is still on the road today at 380k miles and still no issues with the pump. It should easily make it past 400k miles.

I was always careful about where I fueled up and regularly used an additive to improve lubricity and take care of water. I stuck to filling up only at busy high volume / high turnover stations along major routes. The car has never been run on bio except for one tankful of B5 when it had around 50k miles on it. All maintenance was done by the book and on schedule. The fuel filter used was the OEM standard 1J0 127 401A filter. (no CAT 2 micron filter etc.) Fuel quality is absolutely EVERYTHING when it comes to ensuring long pump life!

I figured I must be doing something right to be well past 300k miles and still on the original injector pump with no seal leaks and no issues.

Last edited:

noxneon

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 silver Jetta TDi
i made a $500 bet with my friend that my 2000 STOCK manual trans tdi will make it to 300k. its currently at 234k. stock everything except stage one normal maintenance.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
My '00 Jetta is pushing 338k miles. I changed the clutch/flywheel at 271k miles as part of a front-end refresh ....... nothing was really needed but the sway bar bushings. Everything would have lasted another 100k miles easily.

My IP is OE with no leaks. I do not use fuel additives. I do not drain the fuel filter. It's been my practice to change the fuel filter once per year regardless of miles on it, generally in November for the winter. I buy fuel whenever I need it ... station brand doesn't make my decision. I do avoid the rip-off joints when possible!

EDIT: I did lose 5th gear at 291k miles. The tranny was always nice and clean on the bottom. So, I just assumed everything was fine inside .............. The synthetic tranny oil must be changed and kept topped off. Trust me!

Last edited:

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
i've said it before i think but anything will run for a million miles if you keep throwing $ at it! And generally i've found other things start nickel and diming before the engine, given a reasonable maintenance history....

It's not a TDI, or even close! But i have a 2000 Chev Silverado half ton 5.3L with about 577000km on it. Never seen a drop of synthetic oil!! Just a solid maintenance history and reasonable operators :D lol. Tranny went at 550k and transfer case at 575k, as well as a few other things along the way. But the motor is still strong, doesn't even burn oil..... not bad for a gasser!!!!:p

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Above is true. I don't give much credit to high mileage TDIs that have had internal engine or transmission work (5th gear notwithstanding). That leaves my wagon out in my opinion: If you rebuild it it'll keep running. Evidence of durability is running for high miles without teardown.

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
How long can a manual trans clutch go, assuming the user is experienced?

I always thought of clutches as 'wear items', even when used properly.

I have never personally had to change a clutch - but the most miles I've put on a manual transmission is about 65,000 miles.

Otherwise - I agree with the above - any engine can run forever, if continually rebuilt. Witness gas cars putting around from the early 1900's...

I also agree - with TDI's, its the body/interior that's likeliest to go before the engine. I searched for an 80's Mercedes Diesel - some/most are still running in good condition, but almost none have a decent interior. Power windows don't work, antenna doesn't work, sunroof totally dead, power locks intermittent, no A/C, heat works but is weak, seats torn...list goes on....

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I also consider clutches wear items, and replacing them during the life of a car is something you can probably expect. We have one customer who got 545K out his original clutch in a TDI, however.

Body and interior bits will last if you take care of them and replace what breaks. Rust is the big problem here. I have a '93 M-B that looks new inside and out, and everything except the cruise control works. However, the car wintered in Florida and now rarely even sees rain.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
How long can a manual trans clutch go, assuming the user is experienced?

I always thought of clutches as 'wear items', even when used properly.

I have never personally had to change a clutch - but the most miles I've put on a manual transmission is about 65,000 miles.

Otherwise - I agree with the above - any engine can run forever, if continually rebuilt. Witness gas cars putting around from the early 1900's...

I also agree - with TDI's, its the body/interior that's likeliest to go before the engine. I searched for an 80's Mercedes Diesel - some/most are still running in good condition, but almost none have a decent interior. Power windows don't work, antenna doesn't work, sunroof totally dead, power locks intermittent, no A/C, heat works but is weak, seats torn...list goes on....
I'll bet the clutch will last a long time if lets say it's "used properly" but probably more important it will last longest if theres only one user. Like just your driving habits patterns etc. I've seen it a few times where cars with high mile clutches go to new users and clutch has gone pretty quick....

Last edited:

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
My GF learned to drive a stick on mine... and it is still going. [knock on wood]

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Used to work with a guy that had an old beater Nissan truck. He had at least 700-800k miles on it. Don't remember exactly. It was a pile and he was proud as a peacock despite its condition. Engine bay was a mess, paint gone, interior in shreds but it just kept on running. I wish I remember the exact mileage but we used to call it the Energizer Bunny.

I would be happy to reach 500k in mine. Time takes it's toll. I think the faster you can build up miles, the better chance you have of some extraordinary numbers. Lots of freeway cruising is relatively easy on most parts (wheel bearings aside) and plays to the strengths of our TDI engines.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Used to work with a guy that had an old beater Nissan truck. He had at least 700-800k miles on it. Don't remember exactly. It was a pile and he was proud as a peacock despite its condition. Engine bay was a mess, paint gone, interior in shreds but it just kept on running. I wish I remember the exact mileage but we used to call it the Energizer Bunny.
I would be happy to reach 500k in mine. Time takes it's toll. I think the faster you can build up miles, the better chance you have of some extraordinary numbers. Lots of freeway cruising is relatively easy on most parts (wheel bearings aside) and plays to the strengths of our TDI engines.
Totally agree, the quicker you put the miles on the better chance you have!

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
I also consider clutches wear items, and replacing them during the life of a car is something you can probably expect. We have one customer who got 545K out his original clutch in a TDI, however.

Body and interior bits will last if you take care of them and replace what breaks. Rust is the big problem here. I have a '93 M-B that looks new inside and out, and everything except the cruise control works. However, the car wintered in Florida and now rarely even sees rain.
I agree - the interior can last for as long as they are cared for - especially true if there's one owner throughout the life of a car, and they are diligent. But, time usually takes its toll - even on well-built Mercedes. Its hard enough to find an an older Mercedes in clean condition - older VW's are typically, well..... And all those little parts can be expensive and tedious to replace (often more expensive and tedious than engine repairs) - and that's only when you can even find the replacement parts.

For the MB sunroofs - the repair, done professionally, supposedly runs around $1,000. I haven't found anyone that claims it can be done by a DIYer (and that's coming from people who tear down and rebuild engines).

Of course, who ever really uses a sunroof? So long as it doesn't leak....its just, all those little broken things can add up to a car that seems like a piece of junk. Its largely because of this that I prefer cars with simple interiors, and manual everything. Nothing blows more than a broken electric seat. The one exception might be electric windows - and only because hand-crank windows don't have much of a reputation for holding up any better.

Good to hear on the clutch though. I got my TDI with about 165,000 miles. Now at 200,000 miles. Clutch was fine when I got it (no idea if it had ever been replaced), so, if it ever goes bad, its on me. But, for now, its as good as it was when I got it.

Last edited: