Blinking Glow plug Warning Light and Check Engine Light

balocco211

TDI
2005 Wolfsburg TDI JSW; 2010 Poblano TDI JSW
Blinking Glow Plug Warning Light and Check Engine Light - Bad Exhaust Temp Sensor

2010 JSW with 14k - while driving today got warning tone and then blinking glow plug warning Light and Check Engine Light. (Engine service also noted on MFD at next start up after warning light inital illumination)

Lights remain at restarts.

Preform 10k service but reset MFD service reminder only.

Are there known issues? Perfer to avoid Oregon VWoA Dealer network at all costs....

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

RzTen1

TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
Do you know someone with an OBD II tool or VCDS? You'll need to pull the error code(s) to determine what's causing the light.

Some shops will do a scan for free, you might try calling around.

I'm still kinda new to the car, so I can't say how serious this light combination might be.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Dealer should be able to fix it for free, but it's alway nice knowing what codes are on the car before taking it in to them. With such a new car, problems with EGR, emissions or what ever it's gonna cost quite a bit even if you take it to a Guru.

OldManWinter

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2010
Is it really cold in oregon today? My intercooler iced up when the air was humid then got really cold (-20c) and that resulted in a blinked glowplug light an Check engine message.

balocco211

TDI
Black electrical tape over warning lights would solve

Thanks to all so far.

I will find an independent mechanic this morning to source the VAG code or SAE p-code for error.

Last night after this post when traffic was sparse I tried greater the 15 minute drive faster than 37 mph to burn the particulate filter clean. - Didn't work.

OMW,
Temps were only in the mid thirties last couple of days. Wife's short trips might be source.

Stay tuned.

balocco211

TDI
Faulty Exhaust Temp Sensor 1 - Bank 1

VCDS scan this morning determined that SAE P-Code P0544 (VAG 16928) - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit B1S1 malfunction. Reset code, started motor up again, and code immediately reappeared.

Phone calls were made to local VWoA dealers resulting in information that no re-flash is available to resolve and I have scheduled warranty service to have sensor 1 - exhaust temp bank 1 - replaced.

Will have up date after 3/9/2011. Until then it's SOX, NOX, and CO into the oregon air shed.

Have others on this BB had same failure with Exhaust Temp Sensor on 2010 TDIs?

Thanks Fix Um Haus! Can't say enough great things about why dub heads should support their local gurus!

Fix Um Haus - Portland, OR 97203 (503)286.0903

superbutta808

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6sp MT
I've been looking for a parts schematic or service manuals for my 2011 golg tdi. Where did you manage to find the book with the illustrations you posted?

balocco211

TDI

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
Manual:
Bentley Publishers is correct.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/vo...tion/vw-a5-jetta-repair-manual-2005-2010.html

I purcahsed locally through local parts store for about 60% of the price quoted above.

http://www.discountimportparts.com/

Observations:
Mileage went down over the weekend with the failure with Exhaust Temp Sensor. Around town driving habits usually at 38.5 MPG dropped to 32 MPG.

Will post update after service on 3/9

same thing happened to me. they did the software update first and then a 4 days later it came back. took it in again and they replaced the sensor. its all good now :)

balocco211

TDI
Still at the VWoA franchized dealership. News at 11.....

Schwachkopfs!

balocco211

TDI
About a week ago dealer replaced the front "EGT" sensor verified error code. Road tested cleared fault memory. Road tested and rechecked; no faults found after repair......(except) particulate filter light on after repair) Repair ticket even recommended customer -initiated regeneration drive. (hey! what about the no error code comment?)

Whatever, 45 minutes to kill. the MIL light illuminated 200 yards from dealership and I knew this was going to be a waste of diesel and time. I performed the regeneration drive at greater than 37 mph for more than 25 minutes in fourth gear. Particulate filter warning remained on and MIL still glowing.

Back to the front of the service line no words spoken only pointed to the Christmas tree of lights on the dash and left. I followed up with VWoA Dealer that night and requested that the master mechanic take over at this point.

Total of 10 days to fix. The repair is complete with ECU software update and a tech session where the JSW was plugged in real time to a VW technician (who knows where) to preformed a proprietary VW updated ECM patch with SVM code 3339. {whatever that means} Local Tech performed test drive to confirm no error codes.

Soot measurements verified by VW Tech services in value block 241/2 is 3.0 and in 241/3 is 0.0

No complaints. JSW seems to be running fine with economy #s where they were before the "ECM - software push" and EGT sensor replacement.

Last edited:

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Same problem here, glow plug warning light flashing. My EGR Temp Sensor got replaced last week under warranty. Dealer go the job done in a few hours.

balocco211

TDI
Future warranty service will be in beautiful BC with VWoC.