Rip?

asabatelli

TDI
1996 Passat Wagon TDI
:mad:I was sideswiped with my relatively new to me 96 Passat TDI that I searched hi and lo for the last year and a half. Insurance is telling me it's a total, since the body work alone will be 4K (front driver's panel, hood, bumper, possibly frame damage). I did drive the thing to the garage a few miles after the accident, though the wheels are toe-ing in pretty well.

A couple of things. They tell me the ACV is about $6500, (it has just over 90K), though I paid $8,500, and have seen them listed for around 10K pretty consistently with even higher miles. Has anyone had success ever getting a higher ACV out of ins. in this kind of situation (arguing the rarity of the car--something like 1400 imported, I believe, and VW cutting back on its TDI line)?

Also, after negotiating a higher ACV (hopefully), is it worth deducting their salvage cost ($600) and trying to resurrect my biodiesel sipping baby? Currently they're working on getting the hood pried opened to fully assess damages, but it looks nasty, especially with those tires toed in at about 30 degrees... The other option, of course, is to take the cash and start the search once again for a small TDI wagon (Ha!)

Thanks for any thoughts. I'm just sick right now, after all the time and effort I put into finding, fixing up and putting this amazing vehicle on the road.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Yes, get help from this forum from Harvieux

Also take a good look for similar vehicles elsewhere.

If they insist on totaling it, perhaps get a lawyer. It's worth more than that.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The valuation is based on the selling price, not the asking price. The $10k list you tossed out there means nothing.
Ask what they are using for a guide? If they are basing the value on a similar trim level gasoline version, then it's the 2.0 GLS sedan, hardly a comparable value.
Look up the difference between a GLX sedan and a GLX wagon to estimate the added value of the wagon body over the sedan.
Look to see if there is a premium listed for the diesel engine option. If not, argue that the rarity and desirability of the TDI make the vehicle more valuable than even the GLX, particularly with $3 gasoline.

The $6500 is a bit low, but not by that much, for a well priced TDI B4V. Mine was $6,600, undriveable (needed a clutch), from a dealer 2 years ago.

Let me know how this turns out. I'm looking for some parts.

asabatelli

TDI
1996 Passat Wagon TDI
I'm in CT, near New Haven. I'll add info. to profile. Thanks for the input so far. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to make a major, heavy-duty repair, if the car will every be "right" again, or to take the money and run and look for something else (perhaps keep the vehicle and part it out?). Thanks,

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Sorry for your misfortune, asabatelli. Good luck in arguing for fair compensation. In the end you might be better off using whatever you can salvage as spare parts for a "project" car- if you have the time and resources for that. 90K on the engine- its in its prime!

asabatelli

TDI
1996 Passat Wagon TDI
Ok, so I'm told by my mechanic that with the extensive sub-frame damage it "will never be right," and he advises not to try to fix. What could I get for the engine/to sell as salvage, do you think? Worth going in that direction, or just kiss her goodbye? They'll deduct $600 from the total value if I want to keep it.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
so what you do is go out and buy a cheap 2.0 gasser Passat sedan/wagon and swap all your morot/wiring etc from one car to the other.

my guess is that yuou can find a used gas passat pretty cheap and pull off the swap in a few weekends if you have the tools

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Asa, if they will do it, request they do an internet search for actual selling prices of your car model. Make sure that TDI is in the search criteria. That brought the value of my departed Jetta up substantially from State Farm.

asabatelli

TDI
1996 Passat Wagon TDI
If I have no way of removing/replacing engines, etc. myself, what might something like that cost me? I imagine the cost would be pretty astronomical, no? Any thoughts on what the undriveable car with a good engine with just 90K on it would bring me, or what would be a fair price to ask for such a thing?

pinehead

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
I went through all of this about a little over 2 years ago. My situation sounds exactly like what you are going through. From the damage description to the amounts you are mentioning.

I took the insurance money with no dispute. At the time I thought I was sick of the car.

After about 3 months I found myself wanting another one. After months of searching I gave up and went for a nice used Volvo. I finally found another one for a decent price with low miles.

If I had it to do over.... I would have bought the car from the insurance company and salvaged it.

I know everyone has their "opinions" on this type of thing.

My 2 cents worth.... In retrospect.

Harvieux is the man when it comes to things of this nature. He has helped me out a few times. Great guy....

I would definitely give him a call.

Regards,

AJ

asabatelli

TDI
1996 Passat Wagon TDI
Several of you have mentioned Harvieux, but when I click on the name, I get an "invalid URL" message. Thanks for all the advice.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
asa, this is the only name you need to know when it comes to the finest in pre-owned TDis in NAmerica!

For quality used Volkswagen TDI's check out Wild Rose Motors

Wild Rose Motors, Ltd.
15308 S. Wilkie Ave.
Gardena, CA 90249
(310) 721-4867
Leonard F. Harview
Specializing in VW TDI's
and Only VW TDI's
Sales, Parts, & Service

Also know here as "Harvieux". ;) ..or Leonard :)

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
dd - you did that while I was finding the link. No fair!

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
If you have a place to keep it, you could sell parts on this forum. Having a wrecked car in the driveway isn't too aesthetic, however.