I need to order the C-clip that holds the inner CV joint onto the shaft

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Mk4 Jetta (blue), 2003 Mk4 Jetta (black), 2011 Mk6 Jetta, all manuals
I am in need of a couple of the C-clips used to retain the inner CV joint. This clip is shown as part of GAP9545. Does anyone know where I can get this C-clip individually?

Regards, Tim

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
Very hard to get on, although reusing the original is difficult as well to get on. I tried to reuse the original, but it was somewhat sprung from my removal. I was not satisfied that it was on well enough. I could squeeze it with a pliers when in the groove and could see it closing in some more. Let the pliars go and it would open up a bit again.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I believe that the VW part number is 113517279 and they call it a snap ring. You might be in luck and find a dealer with a few.

Most of these get torqued when they come off, at least when I do it...lol. If I had some I'd send them to you but I doubt I do, at some point I tossed a bunch of spare used stuff.

Steve

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
That PN looks right, from pics online. If you pulled that from memory, that's pretty impressive. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I torqued mine too. I have snap ring pliers, but they're not much help on that ring design. Maybe they designed them to be difficult to get off in order to discourage reusing them....

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
That PN looks right, from pics online. If you pulled that from memory, that's pretty impressive. Thanks for the info.
Haha, no, not from memory, but I have the parts catalog open in the browser all the time in case I need to locate something quickly.

Yeah, I torqued mine too. I have snap ring pliers, but they're not much help on that ring design. Maybe they designed them to be difficult to get off in order to discourage reusing them....
No, conventional snap ring pliers aren't much good with these, I tend to go after them with a pair of tiny flat blade screw drivers and work them around and out of the groove they're in. About the only way I can do it without getting mad.

Steve

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
No, conventional snap ring pliers aren't much good with these, I tend to go after them with a pair of tiny flat blade screw drivers and work them around and out of the groove they're in. About the only way I can do it without getting mad.

Steve
Same method here, although I still get a bit mad....

Thanks for the info. I got two of them on order now.