96 Passat wagon vs. 03 Jetta wagon

trevor07

TDI
96 VW passat
I'm thinking about buying​ either a 96 Passat wagon or 03 Jetta wagon and wanted to hear some opinions on which is better

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If you can find a good B4 passat tdi wagon I'd do that, it's the same platform as what you already have and that means that parts are identical and you don't have to keep parts on hand for two different vehicles.

Also I think it will hold more and I think the suspension iss less complicated in some respects.

Good luck in your quest!

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
We have basically both of those cars, though in slightly different configurations.

The A4 platform is a lot better with respect to NVH than the B4, no question there.

A4 has better brakes than the B4.

A4 requires more labour for a lot of stuff than the B4 platform. Lots of A4 parts are more expensive than the B4.

B4 has a LOT more interior room. Massive difference in rear seat legroom and cargo space.

A4 is easier to find parts for, especially things like interior and body bits. Door handles and window regulators for instance - both common failure points for the B4 platform.

If you work on your car yourself you'll probably prefer the B4. If someone else does it for you the A4 is easier to deal with.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Wagon TDI B4V Storm Gray 258k, 98 Jetta TDI 260k (retired for spare parts)
B4V is a great option......though

I have had the 2003 Jetta Wagon with a 1.9 PD engine. Was no a huge fan.....I agree that if you work on the car yourself...the B4 is for you but If someone else works on it just do the A4. I am not a big fan of the newer cars......they have more computer issues and such. I love my B4V and am in a complete restoration process....over the next two years. They are quite simple to work on.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
We have basically both of those cars, though in slightly different configurations.

The A4 platform is a lot better with respect to NVH than the B4, no question there.

A4 requires more labour for a lot of stuff than the B4 platform. Lots of A4 parts are more expensive than the B4.

B4 has a LOT more interior room. Massive difference in rear seat legroom and cargo space.

A4 is easier to find parts for, especially things like interior and body bits. Door handles and window regulators for instance - both common failure points for the B4 platform.

If you work on your car yourself you'll probably prefer the B4. If someone else does it for you the A4 is easier to deal with.

From what I've experienced over the years increased NVH with these is self-inflicted in many cases. Cal327 for instance has problems with NVH because he insists on using mountings that run counter to what one should use for isolating diesel vibration...then seeks a solution to that self-inflicted problem. Seems counter-intuitive to me but whatever.

The other extreme is running OE engine mounts that are shot and then wondering why you cant remove the oil filter etc.

At any rate the Mk4 engine suspension system is no doubt superior but if a person stays on top of the Mk3/B4 type mounts they really aren't that bad, no where near as bad as the Mk1/2 type stuff, which was gut wrenching in some ways.

Steve

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs

I have more than a few miles on each of these platforms. I agree with the above. The differences I notice most are:
Wind noise at high highway/interstate speed. The A4 is noticeably quieter.
Suspension: To me, the A4 has a better ride.
Interior elbow room: Definitely, B4. Much more elbow room. Especially if you have passengers.
Miles per tank: Definitely, B4.

It depends on how you will be using it your preferences.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If you take the interior room out of the picture, the A4 is a more modern platform, with much more parts available.

However, having owned both - 1 B4V, 2 A4 wagons, and a B5V, the B4V is a winner in so many ways.

The size does matter - the interior, cargo and fuel capacities are huge.

The B4V has a good 4-5 inches more rear leg room (as measured with a tape measure having adjusted both seats with equal space from the seatback to the pedals.

The B4V has about 30-40% more rear cargo room, folded or unfolded.

The B4V has a 26 gallon tank - unparalleled fuel capacity and range.

As above, the B4V is harder (but not impossible) to find parts for, and finding a rust free example will require a bit of a search.