Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
It's back up to $2.18 but gas is $2.03 so that is only a 7% difference. I only have to buy about 6 more tanks anyway.
That's a lot narrower than the spread here. Gas has dropped a good bit the last few days, so the spread is unusually big: regular is around $1.999 while diesel is $2.259-2.459.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

shane.short

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan 5spd, 2000 Jetta Sedan 5spd, 2011 JSW DSG(sold back to VW)
Just recently filled up here in Hawaii. 3.81 @ Chevron now Texaco off Ala Lilikoi. Seems to be the cheapest I can find on the island of Oahu.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
It's $3.08 in my little podunk town,but premium is $3.09...:)
Nearly 300 miles south of the former railroad town:

Chevron D2 is $2.99/gallon at the station adjacent to the UP rail yards.........

Ron 91 (MB coupe) runs $3.09 same station

ez

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Nearly 300 miles south of the former railroad town:

Chevron D2 is $2.99/gallon at the station adjacent to the UP rail yards.........

Ron 91 (MB coupe) runs $3.09 same station

ez
Chevron routinely runs 30¢ - 50¢ higher than other brands. In my town RG is 50¢ higher while Premium is 30¢ higher. Neither Chevron carries diesel. The Chevron that did carry diesel was torn down a few years back to build a CVS pharmacy.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
Chevron routinely runs 30¢ - 50¢ higher than other brands. In my town RG is 50¢ higher while Premium is 30¢ higher. Neither Chevron carries diesel. The Chevron that did carry diesel was torn down a few years back to build a CVS pharmacy.
They do seem to be consistently higher than other brands, but the variance is definitely regional. Down here on the coast they are priced similarly to Shell and Texaco, which are among the costliest places to fill for gas or diesel.

Of the three, Chevron is the "cheapest" but still higher than brands like Dodge's, Murphy USA and Tom Thumb CITGO.

There's only three Chevron stations in my town and two of them carry diesel (one also carries off-road diesel since it's near farms). The one on the main highway has pricey gas, but their diesel is a crapshoot. Sometimes it's 30¢ higher than nearby competitors, sometimes it's 30¢ lower. They don't advertise the price and I don't think it changes unless they get a delivery, which must not be very often. For that reason, I never buy from there, although I have a few times in the past when the price was irresistibly low. The fuel ran fine, but I felt uneasy about taking the risk.

I'm always wary of places that sell diesel but don't advertise a price for it. They can't ever have good turnover.

Despite the fact that we're supposed to be in the thick of winter, I'm happy to say that diesel is still at or just below the price of midgrade at a few stations in my region. The predicted drop in gasoline prices didn't happen (or didn't last long enough to leave an impression) and the predicted rise in diesel was less than previous winters.

It's also nice that the spread for diesel remains, as always, pretty consistent. Here's a check of regional prices in my part of Baldwin County:

RUG: $2.039-2.229 (not including full service)
MID: $2.159-2.629
PRM: $2.449-3.119
D2: $2.259-2.459
Ethanol free Marine/midgrade: $2.669-2.999

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Southern States in Frederick is at $2.59 but it's 50 Cetane. Everywhere else in the FredCo area is at $2.45.

DSMOS

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GL TDI (Wu-Tang Wagon) 280K and climbing
here in southern maine we got at best 2.659 and at worst 2.799 although gasbuddy says the best i could get is 2.559 while gas hits 2.11 :eek:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
fuel prices should start coming down again as there is supposed to be a big surplus of crude in the US right now.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
fuel prices should start coming down again as there is supposed to be a big surplus of crude in the US right now.
I think you are right about prices, but it's the global supply of crude that drives the prices. Not the domestic supply.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
D2 prices always bottom out in early spring as supplies of fuel increase with the need for heating oil dropping off as weather warms....
For several years I was able to predict May 10th as the date when diesel would drop below regular unleaded gasoline in many if not most states. Because diesel/#2 heating oil supplies have become more plentiful, that reversal date has become less predictable.

While prices for gasoline and diesel follow seasonal patterns, crude oil does not. Crude has dropped about $4/barrel in the last week, so gasoline and diesel should both drop. All we can say, with reasonable certitude, is that gasoline should rise in price relative to diesel between now and, say, June or maybe July; then they will start to shift in the other direction, probably in August.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
There are a number of stations in my area that are close to reaching parity between gas and diesel. Right now, that is around the $2.39 mark.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BOHICA, Californians!

Another reason to get out of California: After decades of road infrastructure decay, Gov. "Pro-Tax" Brown has proposed massive hikes in fuel taxes. Diesel is being targeted primarily with a 125% hike in per gallon road tax and a 45% hike in the per gallon sales tax. In addition new fees will be imposed on each vehicle ranging from $25 to $100 per year.

If they would just stop diverting the fuel taxes from roads to their pet no-road projects, there wouldn't be any reason to increase the tax NOR would there have been the decay in infrastructure. I figure after a year or two of the new taxes, they'll start diverting them to non-road projects.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
50 Cetane at the Southern States in Frederick MD is $2.54. Regular diesel in the area is right around $2.45 give or take a few cents.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I hear you ROMAD. I grew up in Winters (about 20 minutes west of Sac). I don't remember the roads being that bad of shape. Grad high school '96

Then I visit a few times over the last few years with my wife and my first thoughts were "Jeez, these roads suck!"

And several of my friends just posted on FB about the new taxes. How much has it changed since the dot.com bust when CA was basically bankrupt because they spent revenues that were no longer there? And different people in Sac spent the same money multiple times?

Jason

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jason, they have been going downhill for over 20 years or more. As a native Californian, I can tell you the roads were much better in the 60s & 70s then they were in the 90s and later.

Well, the legislature (basically a single party one) has approved Brown's massive tax increase on the lower and middle working classes. It won't affect the legislators or governors as they have their government provided vehicles and/or credit cards in addition to their 6-7 figure incomes.

Hopefully, it'll only be a year before I'm able to get out of here.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
Funny, I felt the same way about the roads in CA and AZ... Seems like back in the 90's on road trips they were smooth as glass, especially the interstates… but in more modern times, all the SW states' roads seem to be just so terrible. The ones here in Alabama are actually better now, which is mind boggling considering how corrupt and screwed up our own state government is.

Diesel prices in my area are all over the place. Some stations shot way up, some went down instead. It's anywhere from $2.2219 (Circle K Exxon) to $2.399 (Shell). That's a wider spread for D2 than I've seen in a while.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Jason, they have been going downhill for over 20 years or more. As a native Californian, I can tell you the roads were much better in the 60s & 70s then they were in the 90s and later.

Well, the legislature (basically a single party one) has approved Brown's massive tax increase on the lower and middle working classes. It won't affect the legislators or governors as they have their government provided vehicles and/or credit cards in addition to their 6-7 figure incomes.

Hopefully, it'll only be a year before I'm able to get out of here.
Funny, I felt the same way about the roads in CA and AZ... Seems like back in the 90's on road trips they were smooth as glass, especially the interstates… but in more modern times, all the SW states' roads seem to be just so terrible. The ones here in Alabama are actually better now, which is mind boggling considering how corrupt and screwed up our own state government is.
Diesel prices in my area are all over the place. Some stations shot way up, some went down instead. It's anywhere from $2.2219 (Circle K Exxon) to $2.399 (Shell). That's a wider spread for D2 than I've seen in a while.
People's belief the roads are getting bumpier also closely match the change that automakers have done with sidewall heights in tires... Remember when 85 or even 90 was a "stock" OEM ratio?
Once a 75-80 series tire was considered to be mid performance, and. 55-65 a performance tire, for all but supercars.
Today that narrow sidewall is very common....Often on non performance cars.
People demanded it to get a better "feel", but most people never use more than the first 30-50% of what their car is truly capable of.
In other news it seems the price of diesel is creeping closer to the price of premium gas...Had been roughly the same as "midgrade" in the NH/MA area for a while.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Around here diesel is $1.189/L and regular gas has been $1.409 - biggest spread I've seen in a long time!

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The AAA website shows that nationally the spread between RUG and ULSD is 13.5 cents. One month ago it was 21.7 cents. Here in Minnesota the spread has narrowed from about 23 cents to about 17 cents.

The narrowing spread is a normal seasonal trend. Historically, May 10th is when diesel prices first drop below those of regular gasoline in many states, if not on a national average.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Many stations around my area have regular gas and diesel within a few cents of each other. I've seen stations that have gas at $2.37 and diesel at $2.39. I've seen other stations that have gas and diesel at the same price around the $2.45 mark.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
I saw diesel shoot up in Middletown. Delaware from $2.359 monday to $2.509 , Another Citgo there went from $2.459 to $2.549. I didn't see it go up anywhere else though.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
$2.24 for Rug and $2.45 for diesel at the local Speedway.