Call me crazy! New member of the V10 family.

RSMS

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
04 T-REG V-10 as a driver but too many others to list and always changing
yes, I also frequent club touareg. One of the great things about our country is everyone can voice an opinion and everyone can drive what makes them happy. If a v6 t-reg is what you enjoy more power to you, I personally as a multi year owner enjoy my v10. Both engines have there own set of issues but for me as well as many actual owners the benefit out weighs the cost of ownership. The V10's kinda remind me of the same issues the B5.5's have, the typical VW owner wants a car that is very cheap to own (which most all vw's are not anymore) They buy a Passat which is a fabulous car compared to other cars in it's class. The BHW engine has some issues that cost what many feel are excessive to remedy as well as the car itself has a higher maintenance cost than the jetta they previously had. Next thing you know many start to complain and talk the car down. Pretty soon everyone is scared to buy or own one and the value drops like a rock. I personally hate driving a jetta and wouldnt for anything other than a purely economical mode of transportation, a Passat on the other hand is a wonderful driving car. To me the V10 is well worth the cost to you it might not be, my opinion is based on actual daily driving ownership and my personal situation, yours is based on a quick drive and others experiences. If the v6 gives you what you want it's the best choice for you, but I would say that it also has the potential for very high repair cost as well.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Vette? Is that a female who retired from the military?

Yuri.

PS: If she retired from the Marines, would she be a Corps Vette?

LOL. Nicely done.

Reminds me of a joke my dad made once: Where does the postmaster on a military base work? The post post office office. *groan* :D

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
yes, I also frequent club touareg. One of the great things about our country is everyone can voice an opinion and everyone can drive what makes them happy. If a v6 t-reg is what you enjoy more power to you, I personally as a multi year owner enjoy my v10. Both engines have there own set of issues but for me as well as many actual owners the benefit out weighs the cost of ownership. The V10's kinda remind me of the same issues the B5.5's have, the typical VW owner wants a car that is very cheap to own (which most all vw's are not anymore) They buy a Passat which is a fabulous car compared to other cars in it's class. The BHW engine has some issues that cost what many feel are excessive to remedy as well as the car itself has a higher maintenance cost than the jetta they previously had. Next thing you know many start to complain and talk the car down. Pretty soon everyone is scared to buy or own one and the value drops like a rock. I personally hate driving a jetta and wouldnt for anything other than a purely economical mode of transportation, a Passat on the other hand is a wonderful driving car. To me the V10 is well worth the cost to you it might not be, my opinion is based on actual daily driving ownership and my personal situation, yours is based on a quick drive and others experiences. If the v6 gives you what you want it's the best choice for you, but I would say that it also has the potential for very high repair cost as well.
I respect you like the v10...and i never said it was bad i said it was jammed tight which cannot be argued and it has more items that can and sometimes do go bad...2 turbos, tandiums ect.

As for the v6 its one of the most used tdis...its in tregs, porsches, q5, q7, a5, a6 just to list a few.....only issue ive heard of is 2 cases of hpfpf failures....uhh theres about 10,000 2.0 hpfpf ive heard of and ive yet to know of someone where i live with one...plus i did over 225k on a cr 2.0 with no fuel pump issues. The v6 pump is not problematic at all. The only other apparent issue is adblue but seeing i dont have that to worry about i dont count that either. aside from that its a solid engine and turbo setup

also i dont buy vws because they are cheap...and i have no issue paying to fix them or tuning them up. If that were the case i would buy a v10 because it cost about half what my v6 did currently....no touareg is cheap the whole word is expensive, to maintain, obtain and drive. I bought it because i love tdis and i need to tow and vw wont bring me a amarok

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I replaced the valve body on the truck over the weekend.... huge improvement! Before it was having trouble with the torque converter "partial apply" strategy in 3rd and 4th gear, and was starting to get sloppy overall. Now those issues are either completely gone or vastly reduced :cool:

At the half way point:

-J

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
And, once installed with nice fresh ATF, you have done the gearbox reset too?

And you have replaced the oil in the diffs and the 850ml fluid in the transfer box as well?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Yup, did the gearbox reset. This is actually the 4th time I've changed the fluid since getting the truck (notice how clean the case is - it wasn't that nice the first change).

Front diff got new oil when it was replaced shortly after we got the truck. I still need to do the rear diff. I changed the transfer box oil (which was black), I'll change it again when I do the rear diff.

-J

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Replaced the HVAC blower motor and cleaned up some wiring today. The blower is fairly easy to get at, access is through the same path as changing the cabin air filter.

I wired in a power supply for a dash cam, and redid the power for the radar detector. I used the flying fuse holder because I don't think you can get the back of the factory fuse box off with the lower dash / glove box installed, and I didn't feel like taking all of the center stack apart.

The 12v --> 5v converter for the camera got mounted on the A pillar with 3M VHB tape.

Note how the wires are secured up high, out of the way of the airbag. Just tucking wires along the bottom of the A pillar trim means they are in the way of the airbag. In the Touareg the trim is easily removed, there's a screw hidden under the AIR BAG logo up top.

-J

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
The wheel had to be changed, as did the steering wheel control module. The clock spring is also different, but the one in our truck must've been replaced at some point with that supports the heated wheel(its production date was sometime in 2005) (the module and clock spring have the driver and pins for the heater power. the temp sensor pugs into the back of the button control unit which is attached to the airbag)

-J

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Ohai! :D

The Touareg currently has a leaky fuel pump on the back of the driver's side cylinder head. We have a reseal kit and an appointment at PD Autowerks to have it repaired late next week. This problem has been developing very slowly for the better part of a year and a half, with a slight fuel vapor visibly wafting from the left front wheel well when parking the truck. It got noticeably worse two weeks ago, so we have stopped driving it until repairs can be made.

Of course, the repair manual says that step 1 is to remove the engine, but several online sources say that it can be done easily with the engine in the truck.

Other than that, it's doing very well. The transmission isn't getting any younger, but the truck still runs like a champ. We recently took it up to Detroit for the auto show and had fun hauling ass down the Michigan freeways. The air suspension really makes the crappy Detroit roads a lot more tolerable. :cool:

160,000 miles and counting...

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Well my crazy brother is looking at them now. He just sold his v6 gasser after doing a few things including rebuilding the front diff in his as well.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I had a quick ride in this beast during a TDI meet.

The sound of that V10 at WOT = :EEK:

And this picture sums up my feelings for the torque wave:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I had a quick ride in this beast during a TDI meet.
The sound of that V10 at WOT = :EEK:
And this picture sums up my feelings for the torque wave:
All we did was go around the block. LOL. At the next GTG, we'll have to get it out on the highway. WOT through 3rd, 4th, and 5th is fun. :D

RSMS

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
04 T-REG V-10 as a driver but too many others to list and always changing
VeeDub please update on the reseal on your tandem pump. I have the same issue on mine now and I'm about to pull it into the shop to do it also. I would love to know how it comes out and any insight you might have on doing it including how long it took whomever is doing it to do.

ATR I grew up around hotrods and many of my friends still have fast cars, everyone I take for a ride in my T-reg is amazed at the instant torque the V10 produces. This is coming from guys with cars the are approaching 1000whp

VeeDubTDI

TDI
VeeDub please update on the reseal on your tandem pump. I have the same issue on mine now and I'm about to pull it into the shop to do it also. I would love to know how it comes out and any insight you might have on doing it including how long it took whomever is doing it to do.

ATR I grew up around hotrods and many of my friends still have fast cars, everyone I take for a ride in my T-reg is amazed at the instant torque the V10 produces. This is coming from guys with cars the are approaching 1000whp
I'll definitely update you once surgery is complete. It goes in late next week.

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
Well, I attempted to buy one today. Auction didn't rule in my favor though.

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
2004 with 134k. Thinking I should have put a little more up for it. Salvage title, mild front end collision, easily repaired. Not sure what it should be worth.