Question about Cluster Swap

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
Been awhile since posting anything.
I purchased a sport gauge cluster from a VW used parts place. He was able to plug into my car and retrieve my SKC from the original cluster. It's a 2002 Golf TDI so Immo III. He also gave me the SKC from the new/used cluster. Since I have both, and VCDS he said I could do the swap myself at home no problem. Cool. I didn't have time to have him do it while I was there.
So moving on to today. I recorded the original kms on original odometer then powered it down and removed it. I installed the new to me sport cluster. Powered up the new cluster and followed Ross-Tech instructions to adapt and pair it to my car. Good, no problem there. Works great!
Next, since the swapping procedure invalidates all keys, I logged back into the cluster using the original SKC (as the new one takes on the original SKC) as per instructed and programmed all my keys to the car. Great! No issue there. Both my keys work fine.
Next, I wanted to correct the odometer to reflect the actual cars odometer. Original 399500km. New cluster reads 398000km. It's close so its really not too big of an issue but I have a little OCD and I want it to read the true kms.
I follow this ross-tech procedure using the orig SKC instead of 13861...
Login
[Login - 11]
Enter a new value of 13861
[Do it!]
Make sure the cursor is still spinning and that you have not been booted out.
If this Login is rejected, then the cluster may not need a Login at all, so try continuing with the rest of this procedure.
Adaptation
[Adaptation - 10]
Go into Channel 09
[Read]
Enter a new value of the number of km divided by 10.
Example: If old cluster had 50,357 km, put in 5036.
[Test]
Observe the Instrument Cluster and make sure the mileage displayed is correct.
Once you save this value, you will be unable to change the mileage EVER!
Unfortunately, some cluster will not display the test odometer on the cluster so just double check your work.
[Save]
The odometer should now display the correct reading in kilometers.
However, the login doesn't work and the session gets reset and I get the word FAIL under the odometer.
I have tried logging into the cluster using the original SKC, the SKC from the new cluster as well as even trying the 13861. All give the same result. I have waited for 2 minutes between each try.
What the heck am I doing wrong here??

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Can't change mileage with vcds unless the cluster is in virgin state (aka new cluster or a reset cluster)... You need vagtacho or vag commander

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
From what I remember that's true but only if the cluster is in virgin state like mentioned... Hence the "you can only change it once" condition

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yep. VCDS cannot change mileage.
VAG-TACHO is what I used back in the day.