Monster Mat vs WeatherTech: Thoughts? Opinions?

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
I'm looking to get some heavy duty floor mats for the Jetta. I'm sure they're both good brands, but thought I'd ask anyway. I see the Monster Mats have holes for the mounting tabs. I couldn't find any good photos of the WeatherTech floor mats for the Jetta. Do they also have the mounting holes? I don't want the mats sliding around on the floor.

If you've used either of these two brands and would like to share your experience, I'd be grateful.

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
As far as I know the weatherthech ones have the holes too the advantage is they go much farther up then the monsters one so far up they should't slide anyways. I just can bring myself to spend that much for weathertech when used monster mats are fairly common at least here.

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
In my new cars (Prius and Civic) I've used Husky Liners.

I guess the WeatherTech product you refer to must be a floor liner (as opposed to mat) so this would be similar to the Husky Liner and it's what I recommend.

The liners that I have don't have the retention clips but it does not matter because they are form-fitting and really cannot slide around.. they don't slide around. The Husky Liners have aggressive points on the bottom.

My VW has Monster Mats and they are good but I just took one out for cleaning and there is a ring of rocks/sand around the mat. My car is really clean but it is pretty much impossible to have clean feet if you live in the real world.

long story short - I'm thinking of dumping the Monster Mats for the Jetta as well in favor of liners.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I've had Monster Mats and Husky Liners, Husky Liners are better hands down in MKIV cars. Both cars in my signature (and my 02 Silverado) have Husky Liners. Too bad I think Weather tech bought them out but you can still find NIB Husky Liners for these cars. As was said before, Monster Mats only cover the bottom, Husky Liners go a good 2" up the sides, they are actual "slush mats", not just floor mats...

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
I could never find the liner style weathertechs on their website, it always says only the normal mats are available for the 2k Jetta+ Golf???

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I've had Monster Mats and Husky Liners, Husky Liners are better hands down in MKIV cars.
I have the Husky liners in my Golf and I agree 100%.

I like the Husky liners because there are NO holes on them of any kind. This is good for the melting snow and salt, etc. I sometimes take an old towel out and sop up the water in the mat just to get it out of the car;).

I like the Monster mats too...I have a new set on the shelf, but they don't protect the carpet and keep it as clean as the bigger liner types.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
My VW came with the monster mats and I like them. they look nice still after 7 years. But they do build up a ridge of rocks and crud around them.

I bought Weathertech for the wifes pathfinder she got last year. They had the mount holes that matched the factory clips. Chose Weathertech over Husky only because I liked the look of the cargo area mat better in the pictures. Only looked at those two options because they claim 'Made In USA' the other options were all made in China. A little more money, but that was important to me.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
My Jetta came with a trunk liner when I bought it... looks like the WeatherTech liner but has the VW logo on it. It's really nice. If the Husky Liners are of comparable quality, I'll be a happy camper.

Last edited:

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Just to give this thread some closure: I bought the Husky Liners, and am happy I bought them. Thanks for the recommendation.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Yes, reading this thread made me do the same thing; should arrive this Thurs.

I'm currently running monster mats that I will be posting to classifieds....

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
One negative of the Husky liners (and I have them in my green Golfs - still not sure if I'll buy them for the blue Golf [parts car I picked up has monster mats]) is that they are a bit slippery. My wife has to pay attention to what footwear she uses. Add in pebbles and such and it gets a bit more slippery. I'd think that adding a slight rubber coating would help, though that layer might tend to wear (and peel up, thus causing impediment- sigh).

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
We have some mats by a company called 3D. They have since been bought out but still the same great product. Beats weather tech and husky out the water. I got a set of the oem vw all weather matts and sadly when you push the clutch to the floor the back of my shoe catches the front edge of the mat. So I don't use the drivers side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
We have some mats by a company called 3D. They have since been bought out but still the same great product. Beats weather tech and husky out the water. I got a set of the oem vw all weather matts and sadly when you push the clutch to the floor the back of my shoe catches the front edge of the mat. So I don't use the drivers side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Autoanything.com seems to have 3d mats but it only listed Beetle.

Is a Mkiv beetle the same floor wise as the mkiv Jetta and golf?

GSwag

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I’ve had monster mats in my 13 Passat. I’ve had husky liners in my Subaru WRX. I have weathertechs in my Jeep. Hands down quality and effectiveness go to weathertechs and it’s isn’t even close. Can’t speak for the mk4 mats however. The huskies will do their job just fine but just leaving this her for future buyers if anyone is interested

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I’ve had monster mats in my 13 Passat. I’ve had husky liners in my Subaru WRX. I have weathertechs in my Jeep. Hands down quality and effectiveness go to weathertechs and it’s isn’t even close. Can’t speak for the mk4 mats however. The huskies will do their job just fine but just leaving this her for future buyers if anyone is interested
I think the issue is the Weathertechs are not a custom fit on the MKIV. I have the Husky mats and the fit is precise.

djrhetoric

Veteran Member
TDI
80 Rabbit pickup MTDI
I think the issue is the Weathertechs are not a custom fit on the MKIV. I have the Husky mats and the fit is precise.
The Weather Tech Digital Fit liners for the MKIV Beetle fit the MKIV Jetta/Golf exactly. I ordered a set last fall and have been using them all winter. The floor pan is identical for the front and rear mats.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
We operate a cattle ranch and get in our vehicles with some really sh***y boots.
I like the "weather techs" best....they hold more crap before spilling over.
Trick to emptying/cleaning them is to wait till the crap is frozen before removing them for cleaning or you will spill everything on the carpet when you remove them.

Note added correction:
Ooops!
After reading other comments and then actualy going out to my car and checking, I realized that I had made a mistake...
The mats in my wagon that I find superior to any other mat that we have tried over the years are actualy "Husky Liners" (classic style), NOT weather techs as I had previously thought.
They stay in place perfectly, do not interfere with any pedals and hold more crap.
See....
https://www.huskyliners.com/Classic-Style-Floor-Mats/2003/volkswagen/jetta

I do however have a weather-tech trunk liner that does work very well.

Last edited:

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
We operate a cattle ranch and get in our vehicles with some really sh***y boots.
I like the weather techs best....they hold more crap before spilling over.
Trick to emptying/cleaning them is to wait till the crap is frozen before removing them for cleaning or you will spill everything on the carpet when you remove them.
lol - I know you are serious but that is really funny.

garreth5

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
I have the Weathertech mats. Nice fit, and they really catch dirt and liquid spills.

Marcb

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Monster Mats

FWIW, I have the OEM Monster Mats in my MKIV TDI and I LOVE them! They are rugged, easy to clean and do NOT slip around at all. I recommend you check out the NOS on the Monster Mats!;)

rpm-inc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 beetle, 2015 golf s
I have weather tech floor liners in a 2000 beetle. I don't have anything to compare them to, but I can't see how any other could be better.

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Monster mats wear out very quickly, I have found.

My recent BB 2013 JSW TDI 6M came Monster Mat equipped.

Had them for 50,000 miles/4 1/2 years. No problems (i.e. no holes, tears et al....

I took 'em out (i.e.:VW did not get them).

They fit my 2017 Jetta TSI 1.4 turbo/5M almost perfect (pax side stud hole spacing permits but one hookup).

Works for me.

ez

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Looks like those Husky Liners would stay in position better.
The Husky liners have "cleats" on the bottom that dig into the carpet. They do not move around at all. They're pretty durable, too.

I've had the Husky Liners for almost a year, and like them a lot.

DavidMTroyer

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta
I have the weathertec mats and could never figure out how to clip them into place. subsequently they slide forward and it drives me crazy.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I have the weathertec mats and could never figure out how to clip them into place. subsequently they slide forward and it drives me crazy.
Had those also, came with holes but they would not engage the plastic nub in the floor. Had to pull back to keep them from riding up on the gopedal.