How to Rebuild Bosch Starter (SR0408X) 0 001 125 012

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
If they don't have parts for your application listed, contact them, as they seem to let some of the listings expire and then reload them.

I bought a brush/brush holder set, bushing, and gear from them, but haven't pulled my starter to rebuild it yet.
They did ship in a timely manner though.
I actually bought starter parts from him in Ireland through e-mail correspondence and he shipped them to me promptly. Great guy to work with!!

dieselnuts

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 JETTA, 2002 JETTA 2003 JETTA
I have no luck getting parts around here. One guy got me a bushing but that was it.Another guy said leave it and when I said I wanted parts he said he couldn't get them. I need brushes, all bushings, front seal, and a cap that goes on the front. It wouldn't hurt to put in new solenoid contacts too.

ihredneck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2006 Jetta
I will get some part numbers as I save the boxes and get back on here. Too bad, we have a starter shop in town in any event I can't source them.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I have a strong battery and did the battery/alt/starter cable upgrade. Still not happy with cranking speed. This seems like it will be worth the try.

Did you use vcds to display cranking speed?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I have a strong battery and did the battery/alt/starter cable upgrade. Still not happy with cranking speed. This seems like it will be worth the try.

What kind of cranking RPMs are you seeing?

I think that Bentley says 150 or more is OK, but I would think that 200 should be the lower limit. Just kind of wondering what other folks see/experience.

ihredneck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2006 Jetta

I used VCDS to log the engine RPM's, it can't be displayed in one of the blocks if I remeber correctly to get accurate cranking speed while cranking. It went from 250 to like 400 I believe after the rebuild. I think it is in my first post.

ihredneck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2006 Jetta
What kind of cranking RPMs are you seeing?

I think that Bentley says 150 or more is OK, but I would think that 200 should be the lower limit. Just kind of wondering what other folks see/experience.
So mine went from 231 to 357 after the rebuild, curiosity killed the cat.
231 would start the car just fine, but I had a nuisance jerk of the engine on start up. Replaced all the engine mounts and still was there before finally rebuilding my starter.
I would say any lower than 200 and it might struggle to light off.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So mine went from 231 to 357 after the rebuild, curiosity killed the cat.
231 would start the car just fine, but I had a nuisance jerk of the engine on start up. Replaced all the engine mounts and still was there before finally rebuilding my starter.
I would say any lower than 200 and it might struggle to light off.
Excellent! Thank you.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
So what part do you think led to the increased performance? Cleaning the commutator and a new brush box?

ihredneck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2006 Jetta
I would personally say the cleaning and new solenoid, those solenoids get worn points on them and don't make as good of contact so less current can make it to the brushes.
My brushes weren't worn out after 230k miles, but i bet the starter wasnt used hard ever either.

ihredneck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2006 Jetta
I did I think I can get the brush box but not the solenoid on eBay yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The starter for my car was a 125 series starter, so I searched for that when looking for parts which may help. I did a few quick searches for the DTS solenoid part number (without using DTS in the search) and found some hits on eBay. Also the Bosch solenoid part number is "085 911 287" and I know they have them on eBay for maybe $50-60.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The starter for my car was a 125 series starter, so I searched for that when looking for parts which may help. I did a few quick searches for the DTS solenoid part number (without using DTS in the search) and found some hits on eBay. Also the Bosch solenoid part number is "085 911 287" and I know they have them on eBay for maybe $50-60.

Thanks
Found them
I didn’t have any part numbers or the series for the starter before
Happy New Year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I just looked mine up.
One of the various listings was:
"Bosch 368 Series 24 Volt (DD) Direct Drive"
Am I missing a battery in mine?? :)
Also saw gear reduction options?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have a starter apart and am wondering what all I should be focusing on replacing. The starter was spinning a little slow (which is why I pulled it- about 1 1/2 years ago!). Not very dirty at all. Still has a little grease. Brushes look really good, as do the surfaces on the commutator.

What is most likely the cause of the slower cranking (don't recall what the speed was, other than the replacement spun a fair bit faster):

Solenoid wear?
Bushings?

ihredneck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2006 Jetta
I would say that I would still polish the commutator and scrap out the grooves.
Also i would put some sort of graphite grease on the bendix as mine has starter squalling again with the high temp bearing grease I put in.

I would also focus on the solenoid as the contacts possibly are worn internally causing extra electrical resistance.

The bushings aren't a must, but maybe check for play with the rotor shaft in each bushing.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I would check the wire from the solenoid going inside the starter for corrosion.
A light grease on the armature ends going into the bushings. Not bearing grease that might get thick in cold weather.
Replace the bushings, they should be relatively cheap.
Last, my usual voltage drop test from the battery posts to the solenoid & case.
A voltage drop test across the 2 solenoid posts might have indicated if the contacts were OK or not.
How old is it?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
A good place for rotation to slow would be current leakage due to carbon in between the plates that the brushes contact. If adjacent coils are being energized, they aren't going to pull as well. Or rather, the leakage will pull against the best placement of the primary coil that is intended to be energized.

Cheers,

PH

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Had no buildup and the brushes look great. I used the wrong terminology previously... meant to say that the windings were all clean. The commutator, however, was a little darkened: I lightly sanded.

Really nothing stands out as being questionable, other than the solenoid plunger and the hole it goes in seemed to be a bit crusty (weired coating, kind of rust colored) and slightly scraped.

Rich, I have no idea how old this thing is. It's a ("Bosch SR0408X") re-manufactured unit. Came with/in the car when we bought the car in late 2015.

Probably order bushings, solenoid and brushes. Install the solenoid and brushes (brushes because they're only about $14 and I've got things apart), but don't want to mess with the bushings unless they're really needed. Be nice to know what the acceptable tolerances are for the bushings.

Would brake grease be good? Has graphite and won't get gummy (and can handle heat).