12' TDI 6sp clutch issues??

thaghost

TDI
'12 Jetta TDI
Lately, when i push in the clutch in 1st or 2nd gear, it jerks as if I had dumped the clutch. The car has 900 miles on it right now. It's also been shifting hard. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
Lately, when i push in the clutch in 1st or 2nd gear, it jerks as if I had dumped the clutch. The car has 900 miles on it right now. It's also been shifting hard. Anyone else experiencing this issue?
Since new, I have had what I would consider excessive drivetrain movement when shifting, similar to what you are describing, but also being able to feel drivetrain movement/shift when pressing and lifting off the accelerator when cruising. I have been trying to figure out if this is just how these cars are, with the soft dogbone mounts, or if I have a motormount/transmout issue.

When crusing in gear, try pressing, the lifting off the accelerator and see if you notice any movement or clunking in the drivetrain. I would be interested to know if other manual TDIers are noticing this as well.

Here are two of my threads on this:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=362487

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=362949

thaghost

TDI
'12 Jetta TDI

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
That is exactly what it is doing.

I am checking my mounts hopefully this weekend, next weekend worst case. I will let you know what I find. Who knows, maybe this is normal, if it is, it is VERY ANNOYING!!!!

Also, can you try the 2 following things and let me know if you feel drivetrain movement/clunking?

1. While stopped, idling in N, rev up to 2500rpm, then lift off the accelerator. Do you feel anything as shortly after you press the accelerator, or shortly after you lift off? Also try lightly feathering the throttle, just so it blips a couple hundred rpm. Do this a few times in a row, and see if you feel any movement.

2.When crusing in gear, try pressing, the lifting off the accelerator and see if you notice any movement or clunking in the drivetrain.

Last edited:

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I think when suddenly lifting off than pressing the throttle on any manual gearbox a bit of jerking is expected . Seems pretty normal to me .

yo2001

TDI
2012 JSW Black 6mt w/pano
Is it because unlike the gas engine, the diesel doesn't have hthrottle plate when you let off? Sometimes it can be jerky.

thaghost

TDI
'12 Jetta TDI
I think when suddenly lifting off than pressing the throttle on any manual gearbox a bit of jerking is expected . Seems pretty normal to me .
it's happening when I press IN on the clutch as well as letting off. I could be doing 15 mph in 2nd gear, press in the clutch while letting off accelerator and it jerks. this has never happened in any other manual cars ive drove.

probstkr

TDI
2011 Jetta 6sp
It's also been shifting hard. Anyone else experiencing this issue?
I'm really unhappy with my tranny (or clutch...?).

In the winter and when the car is cold, it is nearly impossible to engage Reverse or 1st when stopped and other gears are really tight.

In the summer, it is fine when first running but once it is hot, it becomes intermittently difficult to disengage and engage certain gears.

Bytek VW told me it was fine during the first service.

I will try Hunt Club VW for the second service and we will see what comes of it.

I am a little worried that they will use the Diesel Geek shift kit as a scape goat and not check further...

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm really unhappy with my tranny (or clutch...?).

In the winter and when the car is cold, it is nearly impossible to engage Reverse or 1st when stopped and other gears are really tight.

In the summer, it is fine when first running but once it is hot, it becomes intermittently difficult to disengage and engage certain gears.

Bytek VW told me it was fine during the first service.

I will try Hunt Club VW for the second service and we will see what comes of it.

I am a little worried that they will use the Diesel Geek shift kit as a scape goat and not check further...
It very well could be your Diesel Geek Short shifter. I would check the allen bolts on the Diesel Geek's to arms that connect it to the linkage, and re-adjust linkage. You could also describe the problem to Diesel Geek directly, and they will probley have some suggestions for you.

probstkr

TDI
2011 Jetta 6sp
It very well could be your Diesel Geek Short shifter. I would check the allen bolts on the Diesel Geek's to arms that connect it to the linkage, and re-adjust linkage. You could also describe the problem to Diesel Geek directly, and they will probley have some suggestions for you.
The winter / cold weather issues were prior to the shift kit.

Do you really think that the problems would be so sporadic if it was the kit? I'm not that technical, but this doesn't make sense to me...

I'll follow up with DG as well...

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
The winter / cold weather issues were prior to the shift kit.

Do you really think that the problems would be so sporadic if it was the kit? I'm not that technical, but this doesn't make sense to me...

I'll follow up with DG as well...
I must have miss read your post. I guess if the issues were before the DGSS, and are sporadic, that may not be the issue. If you do end up taking it into the dealer, you should put the stock parts back on, because they will blame your DGSS for the issue, and not fix it. Plus they will enter into VWOA's system that you have a modified part, so any future transmission warranty issues may be voided. That is why you should always keep the stock parts you modify, and make sure the mod is reversible if you are in warranty. I guess it wouldn't hurt to check with DG though, since they have a good understanding of our trans.

I remember reading somewhere that some people who were having issues getting into 1st and 2nd with the DGSS had to back off the DGSS's connection to the side to side shift linkage by a thread or two, and re adjust. My bet though is something is wrong with the side to side movement of the linkage, so I would check every piece involved with the side to side movement for the linkage.

You may also just want to re-adjust for the heck of it and see if that helps at all, and check the tightness of all the allen bolts on the DGSS. Also some people said they had better luck with the shift linkage adjustment by locking the shifter inside the car first, then locking the trans in home position. It is quick and easy to do, and wouldn't hurt!

Last edited:

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Try to release the clutch slower and not to apply throttle to early

probstkr

TDI
2011 Jetta 6sp
I must have miss read your post. I guess if the issues were before the DGSS, and are sporadic, that may not be the issue. If you do end up taking it into the dealer, you should put the stock parts back on, because they will blame your DGSS for the issue, and not fix it. Plus they will enter into VWOA's system that you have a modified part, so any future transmission warranty issues may be voided. That is why you should always keep the stock parts you modify, and make sure the mod is reversible if you are in warranty. I guess it wouldn't hurt to check with DG though, since they have a good understanding of our trans.

I remember reading somewhere that some people who were having issues getting into 1st and 2nd with the DGSS had to back off the DGSS's connection to the side to side shift linkage by a thread or two, and re adjust. My bet though is something is wrong with the side to side movement of the linkage, so I would check every piece involved with the side to side movement for the linkage.

You may also just want to re-adjust for the heck of it and see if that helps at all, and check the tightness of all the allen bolts on the DGSS. Also some people said they had better luck with the shift linkage adjustment by locking the shifter inside the car first, then locking the trans in home position. It is quick and easy to do, and wouldn't hurt!
I sent Jim at DG a note and got a quick reply. He says it could be related to the clutch. He suspects that VW would not look kindly on an after market shift kit and would not fight them with one installed.

I have the original linkage still and will have to look into putting it back on before taking the car in.