Latest ghetto mod......

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
Hey deeejaaa how is the spring booster working out for ya? Any difference while driving? MPG probably went down a bit after lifting it up! Keep me posted brother, thank you in advance! Have a nice day!

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
Hey deeejaaa how is the spring booster working out for ya? Any difference while driving? MPG probably went down a bit after lifting it up! Keep me posted brother, thank you in advance! Have a nice day!
the "lift" was small but my last mpg was 59.9. i have done a few other things though. i bought a used set of strut holders so i will see if i get a better system. no diff in driving so it's working.

Last edited:

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
O wow, nice! I am glad it is working out for you brother. Keep it safe! I like your mods, wish I had my MK4 still.

JettaJack

TDI
04 & 06 Jettas, 15 Sportwagen
Thanks for the inspiration!

Found your thread while looking for a front license plate solution for my newly acquired un-drilled Jetta MKIV.

While not wanting to drill the bumper was the motivation, I still have to get through Maryland inspection. Not wanting to pay $60 to $80 for the easily found alternatives, you inspired me to come up with this.

The bumper was still shiny:

After checking out what was available, I cut a piece of 1" pvc pipe I had, drilled it for some self tapping screws and mounted it with wire ties to the grill.

I bought a plastic frame from my local parts supply (came with the st screws used to mount it).

and mounted the plate to the frame. Looks solidly mounted, and it is, just not screwed in!

and voila all done.

I am calling this "semi-ghetto" because in addition to the $5 for the plastic plate, I bought some additional screws (special pin star w/tool) to make it look safe and solid for an additional $4.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
10w LED DRLs

received the LEDs. nice looking and look well built. pics:

hooked up to converter for some light output shots, these are BRIGHT:

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
mounted them in the lower grilles, removed slat or two. i left them plugged in for 2 hours tonight and just the body was warm to the touch.

it looks like cr#p to me right now. holes/spaces need filling in. needs alignment. car itself looks as dirty as hell but all that will be addressed.

Last edited:

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
they need adjusting and the pretty intense tint-shift on the edges shows up pretty good.

here's the controller i used.

have the controller wired up and it works just as advertised.
used shrink tubing on the TFL, wired the white wire to the low beam yellow wire using a Scotchlock, connected the red/black to pos/neg.
turn key on, DRLs come on, swith headlights on, DRLs go off. turn key off, DRLs come on 5 secs and then go off.
flash:

no flash:

Jeffs HID headlights on:

still need adjustment but will see how they are driving to work tomorrow.

Last edited:

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
if he and you are, where have ya'll two been?
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=388085
If you are running these then I did not know. I do not remember everything I read in these threads, way too much information here. It looks like Jeff has a great product and I am sorry to see him no longer making these. I personally built my our HID retro a few years back.

Just for the record, I was not saying that you were running HID in stock housings, the camera angle was probably just off giving more glare.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
HALOGEN 1156 BULBS 50w REVERSE Lights

was having trouble seeing while pulling into the drive due to the time change so i read about these:

being a direct replacement.
less than 10.oo off the fleabay, 10 mins to swap out.
before with 3w LED:

halogen:

will see next i drive the car.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Be careful with those high wattage backups - you might belt the housing or the socket, since they aren't made to handle a bulb that hot.

I would guess that checking every few days and seeing if it is OK for the short time they're on is a good idea.

Cheers,

PH

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
My LED gauges were burning holes in my retina, so I added a 10K pot to help dim their brightness. Needed to carve out some foam behind the dash, but it fit well. The knob is metal, got the parts off eBay for a total of $3

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
are you talking about the headlight switch LEDs were too bright? or the dash?
what wire did you tie the 10k pot to?

Schwann

TDI
A4 Jetta
New member here, and I just happened to do a "ghetto mod" to my A4 Jetta this past weekend. While hunting for a more affordable skidplate option, I came across a guy selling this rallitek sst skidplate for an sti on craigslist. $60 later and a couple of holes drilled and bam! Fits like it was made for it! The oil drain plug hole is even in the correct location.. :p

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
are you talking about the headlight switch LEDs were too bright? or the dash?
what wire did you tie the 10k pot to?
My gauges were too bright - I added Autometer Cobalt boost and EGT gauges. If you google them, lots of people comment on how bright they are. I tapped a line off the regular dash dimmer switch.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
radio malfunction

drove to work yesterday and tried to use the monsoon but it didn't come. red light was still blinking, looked it up and came across this info. so i pulled radio fuse #42 for 10-40 seconds, replaced it and all is well. if you are having trouble and it has turned cold, this might be of help. it relates to winter, if the battery is a little low when cranking, the radio might get voltage under run. Make sure to turn radio off before cranking to not have a problem.

Pull radio fuse #42 in fuse panel for 10-40 seconds, replace.
02 Monsoon Radio/Cd/Tape.

or:
Pull radio and check fuse on back of radio. It blew for some reason while the fuse box fuse was fine. Replace fuse on radio and is fine. If fuse on back of radio keeps blowing, replace 10 Amp with 15 Amp.

or:
Pull battery cable for 10 minutes to reset radio.

MKIV FUSE LIST
1. Washer nozzle heaters, glove compartment light, memory seat control module (10A).
2. Turn signal lights (10A).
3. Fog light relay, instrument panel light dimmer switch (5A).
4. License plate light (5A).
5. Comfort system, cruise control, Climatronic, A/C, heated seat control modules, automatic day/night interior mirror, control module for multi-function steering wheel, control unit in steering wheel (7.5A).
6. Central locking system (5A).
7. Back-up lights, speedometer vehicle speed sensor (10A).
8. Open
9. Anti-lock brake system (5A).
10. Engine control module: gas (10A); diesel, Model Year 2000 > (5A).
11. Instrument cluster, shift lock solenoid (5A).
12. Data Link Connector power supply (7.5A).
13. Brake tail lights (10A).
14. Interior lights, central locking system (10A).
15. Instrument cluster, trans control module (5A).
16. A/C clutch, after-run coolant pump (10A).
17. Open.
18. Headlight high beam, right (10A).
19. Headlight high beam, left (10A).
20. Headlight low beam, right (15A).
21. Headlight low beam, left (15A).
22. Parking lights right, side marker right (5A).
23. Parking lights left, side marker left (5A).
24. Windshield, rear window washer pump, windshield wiper motor (20A).
25. Fresh air blower, Climatronic, A/C (25A).
26. Rear window defogger (25A).
27. Motor for rear windshield wiper (15A).
28. Fuel pump (15A).
29. Engine control module gas (15A); diesel (10A).
30. Power sunroof control module (20A).
31. Trans control module (20A).
32. Injectors: gas (10A); diesel (15A).
33. Headlight washer system (20A).
34. Engine control elements (10A).
35. 12v power outlet (trunk) (30A).
36. Fog lights (15A).
37. Terminal (86S) on radio, Instrument cluster (10A).
38. Central locking system (with power windows), luggage compartment light, remote/fuel tank door, motor to unlock rear lid (15A).
39. Emergency flashers (15A).
40. Dual tone horn (20A).
41. Cig lighter (15A).
42. Radio (25A).
43. Engine control elements (10A).
44. Heated seats (15A).

Fuse arangement in fuse bracket/battery:
S162. Glow plugs (coolant) (50A).
S163. Fuel pump relay/glow plug relay (50A).
S164. Coolant fan control control module/coolant fan (40A).
S176. Relays panel interior (110A).
S177. Generator (90 Amp.) (110A).
Generator (120 Amp.) (150A).
S178. ABS (hydraulic pump) (30A).
S179. ABS (30A).
S180. Coolant fan (30A).

Last edited: