Performance Exhaust for Mark VII

russdog5681

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf S TDI DSG
Any of you guys/gals with the '15 TDI Golfs:

Have any of you swapped out your exhaust yet for something more performance oriented? Is there even anything out there for our cars yet? Just curious. I know you can't expect to get a huge amount of punch from a performance exhaust, but I like to hear a little more growl from the tailpipe.

Thanks all!

Russ

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
If the mkvii is anything like the mkvi you won't get any performance boost or even a better exhaust note with a upgraded Catback.

I tested out a mkvii tdi when they first came out. I thought that it had a sportier exhaust note compared to my mkvi. Stock for stock mkvii sound much nicer.

russdog5681

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf S TDI DSG
If the mkvii is anything like the mkvi you won't get any performance boost or even a better exhaust note with a upgraded Catback.

I tested out a mkvii tdi when they first came out. I thought that it had a sportier exhaust note compared to my mkvi. Stock for stock mkvii sound much nicer.
Good to know, ATR. Thanks! I don't want to drop coin on something that won't give me any appreciable benefit. Sounds like the only thing I really need to do to this car is new tires/rims (aesthetic/handling purposes). I want to swap to 18s (225/40R18) eventually.

Russ

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Take some time to absorb some info here as well. Currently the mkvii is too new for performance upgrades but that'll change sooner or later.

I've found that the stock 17's are a nice balance of performance and mpg. I just upgraded to a set of continental pure contacts (225/45-17) that are V-Rated. That alone helped cure the squishy ride the stock tires had. Depending on where you live (potholes?) you may find 18's offer too harsh a ride. They are also more prone to getting damaged from potholes.

russdog5681

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf S TDI DSG
Indeed, the vehicle is probably too new to see much aftermarket support. We'll see if that changes in the ensuing months.

17s are a good balance of performance and ride comfort, agreed. I worked as Tire Center supervisor for Costco and Service Manager for Firestone for quite a number of years and that seemed to be a common size among the "hot hatches." I find it amusing that Tire Rack even offers a 19" option for our vehicles. A 35-series tire would beat you to death, though, in my opinion.

17 or 18 would seem to be the prevailing options, methinks.

Again, thanks for your help!

Russ