Power upgrade - results may vary :)

TDI
2005 BORA Kombi PD
I have an '05 Jetta BEW Wagon and have the Malone 1.5 tune on it..... which was a mistake :D

So I am now looking at what I want to do next. First, I have upgraded the brakes to GLI brakes front and back. The LCA's have Poly bushings in TT LCA and coil over sport suspension. So handling and stopping has been sorted out - so this leaves me the next step in the process.

The car is a daily driver, it is a grocery getter. once a month i do a weekend trip out to our vacation spot so 140km one way and cruising about 150kph... but not liking higher RPM and dont want drone - Wife would be... a we bit annoyed....:rolleyes:

I am thinking of doing the Kerma 17/26 turbo, the SMIC and pipes, with the 3" turbo back exhaust. question is will Malone tune handle this? or should i go with Kerma? Also would it make sense to go with new injectors, and cam? I don't want stupid power as this is a family... erm... car :D

I would like to get some ideas.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Next step is a clutch. Then it's a boost gauge, then an EGT gauge. Then a new turbo coupled with an upgrade from Malone. A new turbo would need a new tune. Then exhaust, then upgraded IC pipes, then injectors etc.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
3in turbo back is a waste, 2.5 is all you'll need. Also you'll run out of fuel way before that new turbo will so upgrades nozzles/injectors will be in your near future (Although it doesn't depend on how far you want to go with the car).

Personally, if you don't want to dump $1000 on R783s or similar, upgrade to a VNT17 instead which when re-tuned will take full advantage of your stock injectors.

TDI
2005 BORA Kombi PD
3in turbo back is a waste, 2.5 is all you'll need.
That is what I was hoping for. I have access to 2.5" pipe, pipe bender and hardware. just need high flow cat and decent muffler. It will be nice to have a decent sounding car - but not obnoxious.

Also you'll run out of fuel way before that new turbo will so upgrades nozzles/injectors will be in your near future (Although it doesn't depend on how far you want to go with the car).
Based on what I have gleaned so far - I was planning nozzle upgrade that use the current factory injectors.

Personally, if you don't want to dump $1000 on R783s or similar, upgrade to a VNT17 instead which when re-tuned will take full advantage of your stock injectors.
okay - so a VNT17 - or equivalent is no the books. Thanks for the guidance.:D

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
You have a 2005 with the 7.5mm pumps...

I'd suggest the PowerPlus 1043 on those pump units for what you are shooting for.

That combo will net you 180+ at the wheels....

The stock nozzles if tuned too far, only result in exponentially higher EGT's since they flow at such a slow rate given their 100 hp target with emissions taken into primary consideration.

If you did just injectors right now, you'd be at 135-145hp.... Everything else 100% stock, No other mods FYI.

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
If I were going to go with the turbo from Kerma, the nozzles from Kerma (DBW), and needed/wanted a tune? I would have Kerma tune it. That way I would have one vendor responsible for everything and keep the responsibility nice and clean. Not knocking anyone.

If I start mixing and matching different things, because I want to be the cook and if comes out well, I get all the credit. If it doesn't come out the way I want it, well I have to try some different fixes and get to learn something (or not).

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
He's posting 2005.5...

Given his target for performance the Power Plus 1043 still far exceeds his requirements.

Either can be made to work, my suggestion would be the PowerPlus 1043 first... That will get him to 210hp...of course he has more work to do elsewhere before that point.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
He's posting 2005.5...

Given his target for performance the Power Plus 1043 still far exceeds his requirements.

Either can be made to work, my suggestion would be the PowerPlus 1043 first... That will get him to 210hp...of course he has more work to do elsewhere before that point.

TDI
2005 BORA Kombi PD
He's posting 2005.5...
LNXGUY is correct = The lump is a BEW not BRM. The car I have is a 2005.5 (this is critical) MK4 body Jetta Wagon with the BEW. it was manufactured in Germany and brought into Canada. The 2006 in Canada is the Golf Wagon (no Jetta wagon in Canada) and there was a "transition" period in Canada where the Golf Wagon TDI was going to be offered - but the BRM was on available until Nov 2006 to select customers.

Anyway - Called Kerma and the plan will be for:
VNT 17/22 upgrade with EGR - I like the ability to push warm air into a cold engine especially being in Winter on the ski hills at -5C
2.5 exhaust from the local shop
high flow cat
nozzle upgrade
3bar sensor
SMIC pipe upgrade

the cam shaft may get upgraded as well based on the wear. since open chest surgery is on the plate - and if the wear is bad then might as well completely fix future problems.....

Malone is "aware" of Kerma and will give me the stage 3 - all I need to do is data log and send the file to them and they will review and adjust. Since the shop I intend to have the work done at is not 1400m from the highway - they will be able to do a complete data review on the engine from careful city street driving to WOT assessment.

so does anyone have a good divorce lawyer - the wife is a gunna kill me :D

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
LNXGUY is correct = The lump is a BEW not BRM. The car I have is a 2005.5 (this is critical) MK4 body Jetta Wagon with the BEW. it was manufactured in Germany and brought into Canada. The 2006 in Canada is the Golf Wagon (no Jetta wagon in Canada) and there was a "transition" period in Canada where the Golf Wagon TDI was going to be offered - but the BRM was on available until Nov 2006 to select customers.
You don't have a 2005.5, you have a 2005. They made the MKIV wagon with the PD's from 2004 to 2006 (All MKIV) No Golf wagon in Canada until 2011 (MKVI?)

2005.5 would indicate MKV sedan.

BRMs started in 2005.5 with the MKV Sedan and went until 2006. No TDI in Canada in 2007 or 2008. 2009 was the MKV with the Common Rail CBEA engine. JSW was also available in Canada (Again MKV) from 2009-2010.

TDI
2005 BORA Kombi PD
You don't have a 2005.5, you have a 2005. They made the MKIV wagon with the PD's from 2004 to 2006 (All MKIV) No Golf wagon in Canada until 2011 (MKVI?)
2005.5 would indicate MKV sedan.
BRMs started in 2005.5 with the MKV Sedan and went until 2006. No TDI in Canada in 2007 or 2008. 2009 was the MKV with the Common Rail CBEA engine. JSW was also available in Canada (Again MKV) from 2009-2010.
okay - going to have a talk with the parts shop ;)

TDI
2005 BORA Kombi PD
If it gets to that...pay what ever you have to to keep your sanity.
It will be really cheap in the long run!!
I will have to pay her with a..... and please don't ban me for this.... a ....

I can't write this without shuddering..... a Honduh Fit...... as her car and then when she is running errands i will have to sit in this pop can of a transportation device.....

LUCKILY - if this is the case i will get to lower the Jet 3/4" front and back for the correct stance.

TDI
2005 BORA Kombi PD
Okay - so last week end had a small accident - Passenger side bumper/fender....SMIC is cracked :mad:

Nice part - the body shop is known in the Vancouver market as supportive of the desire to put in better than OEM parts in the car. Talked to Kerma (great team there - shameless plug :D) and they are shipping me their SMIC and pipe upgrade kit. insurance will cover most of this.....

Also they have convinced me that since the Jet is a grocery getter wagon trip - the slaughtermatic will only handle 300ft-lbs. This said - for a daily driver grocery getter the S7 turbo will be installed when the factory one fails. They suggested that the 3" exhaust would be great - but i think that the 2.5" will be sufficient.

so begins the slide into the dark side... .time to embrace it!

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Kerma is great..............at selling parts you don't need.

VNT17, malone stage 4, and a clutch will get you 150HP with no fuss.

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
Your slaughtermatic is rated to 258 ft.lbs of torque. I think if you go for 300 ft.lbs and drive "normal" 90% of the time you'll probably be ok for a while :)

You have the same bug as me. I keep trying to talk myself out of it. Even with tons of mods the TDI doesn't seem fast at all. I see fully modded TDI's posting 1/8th and 1/4 miles that are in the 16sec range... It's quick sure, but I wouldn't consider it fast. But it sure is more fun to drive :) And it's quick and gets awesome mileage being quick. That's a uge plus on a daily driver.

I'm, sure someone will correct me on my fast comments...

Last edited:

bgcarter1

TDI
07 DSG Jetta, 06 Manual Jetta both sold Now Touareg V6 TDI
Your slaughtermatic is rated to 258 ft.lbs of torque. I think if you go for 300 ft.lbs and drive "normal" 90% of the time you'll probably be ok for a while :)

You have the same bug as me. I keep trying to talk myself out of it. Even with tons of mods the TDI doesn't seem fast at all. I see fully modded TDI's posting 1/8th and 1/4 miles that are in the 16sec range... It's quick sure, but I wouldn't consider it fast. But it sure is more fun to drive :) And it's quick and gets awesome mileage being quick. That's a uge plus on a daily driver.

i have a gtb1756vk, s3 intercooler, hard pipe kit, malone tune (base tune to be logged), dsg tune, egr delete and did 14.9@94mph (bkd pd140 engine) in a jetta :D:D

TDI
2005 BORA Kombi PD

I am not looking for insane numbers for the grocery getter..... the wife drives it....

I do however have even more interesting news.... I got the old Golf back from my brother.... it is a 94 AAZ.... Brother ran it into the ground and said he doesn't want to fix it.... So now I have a new opportunity.... :D

May want to drop a 2.0 TDI.... The son wants to help.. he is 10.... turning 11 this year.... In BC we get our learners permit at 16.... project car for 5 years????? :rolleyes: