AFN upgrade to 170ish BHP +-

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
I'd go for the pp764's anyway as they're nice nozzles if you're keeping the VA.
They are bigger too.
It'd need the maps tweaking but wouldn't take long.
Might be a few hundred quid to buy nozzles and get them pressure tested on new bodies though if your 3rd injector sensor is playing up.
So up to you. We cleared the needle lift sensor error, would be interesting to know if its come back on (if it loses track of timing I imagine that cuts the fuel?)
Logs would be good.
Lets do some when you have that boost pipe sorted.

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Avant 1996 Silver
There is not much to do on the remap for that setup.
Just the N75 map will need some small adjustments , beside that , 1,45bar of boost , enough fuel and advance and there you go , 160hp no smoke no need for FMIC or clutch.
About the BV43 vs VA , below 2000rpm the VA will boost and be eficient enough to drive up a hill in 4th or even 5th gear. The BV43 wont boost enough there.
Still I love the BV43 if you drive mostly on highways its the turbo to have.
Actually my modified VB has more less the same driveability as a BV43. Still I liked better a stock VB it was better allround.

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
Ben,

I find that the postal service are doing their usual thing and have delayed delivery of the boost pipe until possibly 4 Oct! As soon as it is here, I will install it and also maybe get a chance to fit the PD inlet manifold too.

I will leave the nozzles until we have logged the car again and discuss it with you when we meet.

Artur, thanks for your suggestions but I am going to run with the advice of Ben here, he knows the AFN inside out, has given me a great insight to the workings if the TDI set up and is local. I wouldn't want you spending a vast amount of your time trying to research an issue where it is already being done here. Thanks for your input but Ben will be doing the tune/tweaks required.

FF

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Avant 1996 Silver
Im not here for the "money" just for the fun and sharing of info.
Its been 10years since I started moding my AFN and a lot of others. As I said I have tested all setups possible on this cars and the best bang for the buck is what I have mentioned.
Still you go with what you feel like is correct. I have made my point and showed why I say it is a good setup. ;)

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
BV43 needs big nozzles and 11mm pump in order to feel right, it's a great turbo and it will save your clutch in the long run ! For a daily driver the gt1749va is best but it will more likely rip your flywheel apart- it certainly did on my AHH ! Some of the veterans here have tuned the old VE engines for over 10-15 years very successfully...some are barely scratching the surface

poisas

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9tdi 81kw 4motion passat b5
Hi, i was following this thread, and wondering, im building the same setup, with the same goal of 170hp, but planning to get clutch stronger with double pressure plate. So it will hold whatever. So pp764 +Gt1749VA what max torque can i expect?

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
Hi, i was following this thread, and wondering, im building the same setup, with the same goal of 170hp, but planning to get clutch stronger with double pressure plate. So it will hold whatever. So pp764 +Gt1749VA what max torque can i expect?

Mine, pre recent mods, was about 160bhp and 265 lb ft or 360nm... But I had .216 HFLOX Nozzles from Darkside but the same turbo and a custom map.

I had a new clutch fitted 6 mts prior to doing any mods which later turned out to be upgraded as there were no OEM ones in stock when I went to change it... I wasn't intending any mods at that stage... But exactly what upgrade I am afraid I cannot find out.

With the BV43, .240's and the remap it holds all the power with no effort at all....

You say dual pressure plate... do you mean Dual mass flywheel? I am looking at changing my Dual Mass to a Single Mass with performance clutch in the next few months... Hopefully it will hold the power for longer without any issues. My Mech cannot recall if he fitted a new DMF when he did the clutch about 20 mts ago. Better play safe....

Last edited:

poisas

Veteran Member
TDI
NOp, its a Single mass flywheel, Luck oem cluch. Presure plate is presure plate dont know other word for it. As I know my friend have set stock presure plate, and on top he set presure plate from petrol v6 2.6i and that means that there is 2 presure plates on SMF flyghwheel and clutch .he have done that totaly custom, and yesterday he gave me a drive, it felt so stock :) he is running bv50 turbo on 2.6bar pressure (real presure 3.6bar with atsmospheric) + dss 0.280 +12mm pump, and the torque is so big, his car is quatro, and he broke 2 torsens already.. it sounds crazy with dbilas and 73mm exaust.. feels like petrol...

Audi a6

TDI
Audi A6 C5 1.9 tdi
Hi people,
I'm sorry but my English writing and not something.
I have 1.9TDi 81kw-110ks, engine code AVG as well as AFN, only mapped to 140ks and 305 nm.
I want to put the nozzle 0.216 PP764 / 502, and turbo 1749VA, and big Intercoler, as far as I expect horsepower and torque?
whether it is safe for everyday driving do not I make a car in the red but I like compressed gas.
Thank you.

poisas

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi people,
I'm sorry but my English writing and not something.
I have 1.9TDi 81kw-110ks, engine code AVG as well as AFN, only mapped to 140ks and 305 nm.
I want to put the nozzle 0.216 PP764 / 502, and turbo 1749VA, and big Intercoler, as far as I expect horsepower and torque?
whether it is safe for everyday driving do not I make a car in the red but I like compressed gas.
Thank you.
I was checking that build also, but I felt its not worth the gain for the money put in. Tdi 96kw remaped goes for 118kw that means plus 18proc of power. I was choose to go gtb1756vk path, and gain double as that for same budget. Ofcourse I was able to buy very low mileage gtb1756vk for under 200euro... but I will do vacuum conversion myself. Nozzles I did by used powerplus bosio 764 that is installed now and calibrated 220bar. I will change clutch into singlemass from 66kw tdi, with double pressure plate that can hold 500nm.
Hoping to find good shape 11 pump from automatic 1.9tdi 110hp. And to seebsome 140kw and 400nm.

Audi a6

TDI
Audi A6 C5 1.9 tdi
Today I brought a bigger turbo,
and I wait 0.216 nozzels,
a friend gives me a very cheap 6-speed gearbox with everything I need or do not need.
after the new map, and we see how many Hp and Nm i get, the price for all around 1000€ it is not much.

Pre67

TDI
Mk1 caddy asz pd gtb2260 top mount / t25 karmann gipsy 1.9tdi 1z / Audi A4 b5 Quattro 1.9tdi afn gt1749va
What clutches are you guys running on your afn's

poisas

Veteran Member
TDI
What clutches are you guys running on your afn's
Im still stock oem :) 300+nm holds. Curently im vacuum converting gtb1756vk, making own flange to exaust, downpipe ect. after upgrade, i will put from audi 1z 66kw tdi smf, new cluch disk sachs oem, and custome made double pressure plate. That setup can hold easy 500nm. Tested on 150kw audi quatro afn engine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvPw9ORqOW4#t=81 here its the video of local amateur rally in my town.

Pre67

TDI
Mk1 caddy asz pd gtb2260 top mount / t25 karmann gipsy 1.9tdi 1z / Audi A4 b5 Quattro 1.9tdi afn gt1749va
What double pressure spring plate will you be using?

Im still stock oem :) 300+nm holds. Curently im vacuum converting gtb1756vk, making own flange to exaust, downpipe ect. after upgrade, i will put from audi 1z 66kw tdi smf, new cluch disk sachs oem, and custome made double pressure plate. That setup can hold easy 500nm. Tested on 150kw audi quatro afn engine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvPw9ORqOW4#t=81 here its the video of local amateur rally in my town.

poisas

Veteran Member
TDI
What double pressure spring plate will you be using?
This is oem 1z presure plate that is custom uprated with double feathers or how to call those triangle plates that press on the clutch disk. If you have money, so I would go some kit from stores.