Lift pump installed, holy crap!!!!

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
Well, I finally got around to installing my lift pump today and let me tell you it made a huge difference on my car with my heavy mods. I can't believe I waited this long to do it. I could see I was starving for fuel looking at my Vag-com files. Now, I can pull to redline with rediculous power. If you have heavy mods, you need one of these pumps.

My next point is that I would like to sell a few of these PD lift pumps in an effort raise some much needed money for the RallyVW Team. We are struggling to keep the car updated for next season.

Here is what I had in mind. I will sell 10 pumps only, as I do not want to step on our sponsors toes. Price is $200 plus shipping(less than $10 in USA). These are brand new pumps that are OEM replacements for the PD cars, so it has the correct 4 amp low pressure needed for the VE pumps. These are NOT GAS CAR pumps.

If you are interested in a pump and would like to help the team out, email me.

Oliver
Crew Chief RAllyVW

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
I'm just a little confused here because Jeff mentioned in the the Injection pump thread that the Gas pump draws 4 amps and the PD draws 2 amps.

No biggy, I will probably end up buying one in a few weeks.

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
I might have confused the number myself, sorry. I was just saying that it is not a gas pump, and that it is a PD pump, amperage correct thereto.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
I told you so! Glad you found your motors full potential.

The PD pump draws 4 amps while the gas pump is 8amps.

This upgrade if for max power conditions, and not going to give you better fuel economy. I know many folks will be asking about this. It only makes the difference at wot. Since it's drawing 4 amps, it will use a bit more fuel as a parasitic drain.

here is something I posted in the past explaining why I don't recommend using the 8 amp gas lift pump.

power = volt amp
power = 12*8 = 96 watts
1hp=746 watts
Pump requires 0.1286hp (less efficiencies)
SFC = .42lb/hp*hr specific fuel consumption
lb = hp*hr/.42
lb = .1286*1000/.42 = 306 lbs in 1000 hrs
1-gal = 7.1lbs so 43gal more fuel in 1000 hrs.
ie. 43m/hr * 1000 hrs = 43k miles - use = 43 gal. * $2.50/gal = $107.50 add'l cost
Assume 4 amp pump would be 1/2 the cost.

cage

Top Post Dawg
OOOOHHHH!
Will it help mine at all. I only have the PP520s. As is at full throttle I get some smoke. I would assume this is over fueling as is right? Meaning the pump won't help give me more power just more smoke. No?

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
These pumps only help when you motor is flowing a lot of fuel. ie, big chip and large injectors, big pumps. I wish I would have done this a long time ago like Jeff told me to. Was an pretty easy install as well.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
TdiRacing said:
Well, I finally got around to installing my lift pump today and let me tell you it made a huge difference on my car with my heavy mods. I can't believe I waited this long to do it. I could see I was starving for fuel looking at my Vag-com files. Now, I can pull to redline with rediculous power. If you have heavy mods, you need one of these pumps.

My next point is that I would like to sell a few of these PD lift pumps in an effort raise some much needed money for the RallyVW Team. We are struggling to keep the car updated for next season.

Here is what I had in mind. I will sell 10 pumps only, as I do not want to step on our sponsors toes. Price is $200 plus shipping(less than $10 in USA). These are brand new pumps that are OEM replacements for the PD cars, so it has the correct 4 amp low pressure needed for the VE pumps. These are NOT GAS CAR pumps.

If you are interested in a pump and would like to help the team out, email me.

Oliver
Crew Chief RAllyVW
I bought one of these myself, and have it in the trunk of the PD. I'm keeping it as a spare, with the simple tools to replace it, should mine fail AGAIN! I got stranded when my lift pump went out at 46,000 miles WITHOUT ANY WARNING and it was replaced under warranty. Something for PD owners to consider.

--Nate

KROUT

persona non grata
It made a world of difference in my car. The gasser pump I had before made more of a difference I just gave up on trying to regulate down to 30psi. It felt real good for the short time I had it regulated at 30psi.

It makes a big difference top end doesn't it?

Vindiesel6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS TDI & 2015 Q5 TDI
Has anyone tried a lift pump on an ALH wth RC2 and sprint 205's ? I am wondering if it is worth investing in a lift pump as I am running this chip/injector combination with my stock VNT-15 and some other mods.

KROUT

persona non grata
It will give you a little extra on the top end. I cant see how this mod would hurt even on a stock car. The injection pump doesn't have to work as hard to get fuel.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
I'm thinking my GT2052V / PP764 equipped ALH is struggeling for fuel at the top end. The problem is that my engine is in a Vanagon and there is no way to install a PD lift pump as the original engine used an external fuel pump. Is anyone aware of a good adjustable fuel pressure regulator and the ideal pressure to run a lift pump at?

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
I was talking with Jose at JS Performance about the possiblity of ordering one of these for my car as I seem to be running a bit low on fuel at the top end (185-190 km/h) and he said that there is an in-line external fuel sender that was used in aircooled Beetles. That might be the solution to your situation. Give Jose a call and talk to him fo rmore details and information.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Does anyone know the flow specs of the PD pump... or for that matter, minimum flow specs for any pump to be of value? From reading DBW's comments on this, he claims you can't over-feed the pump and quotes some pretty heavy PSI/Flow rates. I'm wondering what minimum specs might be. I've got a Facet/Puralator pump that I'm now wondering is big enough... :confused:

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
Jeff says that you do not want to go more than 8 PSI or so. Too much case pressure in the pump can cause problems as well. He explained it to me and it went over my head. To many numbers and such.:eek: You basically want to feed the pump a little bit of fuel to keep the flow up as to keep the timing piston happy.

gogobug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Hasn't Charile been running a high psi lift pump for quite awhile with no problems?

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
How bout when the thermal "T" is closed. Any problems with it leaking under positive pressure? Mine has been problematic when it comes to sealing reliably. Depends on the filter and tolerances.

TDIEB

TDI
2003 Golf blue
Instructions?

Does anyone have instructions for installing a lift-pump?

AtomicSushi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Golf GL
I have one in as well. I didn't do as good of a job at documenting the process as I should have but the major points are:

1) Replaces fuel level sender. You'll need a new 4 wire connector, 2 for the pump and 2 for the fuel level sender. Its underneath the back seat on the passenger side underneath the carpet cover (just pop the seat cover forward and pull back the carpet.

2) Before you put the pump/sender in wire up a relay to control the pump. You want to tie it to the fuel cutoff solenoid which opens for a few secs when the key is turned then shuts off, then runs continuously while the engine is on. When the key is turned off power to this solenoid goes away to cut the pump fuel supply. This will also shut off your in take pump.

3) Wire up a solenoid under the hood and secure it somewhere safe. The turn on trigger is from the cutoff solenoid, power and ground from the battery (on my hookup at least) and the switched power runs back either under the car or through some sort of hose conduit (rubber tubing works) or through firewall grommit to the the cabin, under the side door to the top of the fuel tank (the way I have it set up). Use good gauged wire and use some sort of wire loom or covering to keep it safe from rubbing off insulation while pulling the wire and causing short-circuits.

4) Try to do this when the tank is not full and you'll make less of a mess. Prepare to pull out something that's been soaking in diesel fuel. Rubber gloves and rags, plastic, etc are a big help to keep fuel off the seats, carpet, etc. Disconnect the fuel lines by pressing the ring on the base and pull them up. Unplug the two wire fuel sender plug.

5) The ring keeping the old sender on needs either a VW special tool to take it off (shown in the Bentley) or you can use special tool VAG 1337 (rubber mallet) and a large flat head screwdriver wrapped in cloth to break it loose. Put the blade against a raised portion on the cover ring and tap it to get it to rotate counterclockwise. Once its loose you should be able to unscrew it by hand

4) Lift out the sender, it will drip fuel. Put it in a small bucket or something. Do not get any dirt into the fuel tank. Do not drop the rubber ring around the fuel level sender into the fuel tank. Be mindful of the float on the sender. You will have to rotate the sender as you pull it out of the tank.

5) Installation is reverse of removal. I would suggest transferring the fuel level sender wires to the new pump (inner two wires in the 4 wire harness, double check int he bently if you have one) and testing that the wires work by raising and lowering the float. If that's ok drop the pump/sender in, beind mindful of the float. Make sure the fuel level on the gauge looks right and make sure the float is flat and level. Gauge behavior may change slightly from its old travel path. It shouldn't change much but it may change slightly. Be mindful also of the rubber ring around the top of the tank. Make sure everything seals properly.

6) Put the ring back on. Tap it tight a couple of times.

7) Plug in the fuel lines and complete the harness with the power and ground wires for the pump if you have not already done so. I used a chassis ground inside the the door wiring tunnel. Its the two outer wires. double check the pin #s with the bently (I don't have one handy right now).

8) If everything works the fuel level will be correct and when you turn the key to the ON (but not start) you should be able to hear the pump run for a few seconds then turn off. It should then run when you start the car and turn off when you turn the car off.

9) Make sure the Fuel Filter T doesn't leak. My solution was just to bypass it but I don't live in a super cold climate. My pump feeds my inline fuel cooler in the stock SMIC position which then feeds the fuel filter and then to the pump. The return line goes right back to the tank bypassing the T. I just put two rubber caps on the T. I have no bubbles in my line so everything looks good. My fuel pump midseal used to leak/bubble a bit so i ordered a new seal kit but once I retorqued my bolts on the IQ adjuster it stopped leaking. I need to check it again, I may change it anyway. As everyone gets ULSD keep an eye on those seals.

I'll try to take and post pics.

So far as results:
None if you are light on mods.

If you have heavy fuel mods (11mm or 12mm pump and/or big injectors) then you'll need this. You wont gain much peak HP but you won't drop off in HP above 4K RPM. My car pulls hard all the way to fuel cut at 5K RPM.

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
Regarding instructions:

I will include pictures and a wiring diagram, or post them here when I have them ready, for those who will be getting a pump form me. It is really easy to install. I only have three that are not spoken for.

Last edited:

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
Here is the installation info:
These are the connections on the top of the new PD pump:

Sample wiring for typical relay:

Wire ends you will need:

Signal Wire to trigger the relay:

As for the relay location, I chose right uner the dash next to the other relays. This is a nice dry place and no heat from engine bay. And, you can get power and ground right there inder the dash. You just run one wire from the fuel cut-off to the the relay. The power and ground are there already, and then the power wire to the fuel pump under the rear seat.
With the instructions above in the other post, and these pics, it should be a breeze to install. Please email me if you need more help.
Thanks for your support.
Oliver

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Fast_Forward said:
I'm thinking my GT2052V / PP764 equipped ALH is struggeling for fuel at the top end. The problem is that my engine is in a Vanagon and there is no way to install a PD lift pump as the original engine used an external fuel pump. Is anyone aware of a good adjustable fuel pressure regulator and the ideal pressure to run a lift pump at?
Wingnut said:
Not that specific one. I found a smaller one that is similar. It flows 4-7 psi @ 32 gph:

I plan to put it between the filter & the IP

The specs can be found here:

http://www.facet-purolator.com/posiflo.asp

And it can be bought here:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3339K&mfrcode=PUR&mfrpartnumber=PRO06SV
From here