Bad day for my new golf

Moparnut88

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2011 golf
Just bought this car on the 27th of december and have been in love with it. I came from an 04 Jetta with 320k miles. A guy in an f250 turned into me. Insurance says totaled I've got lots of body shop experience and fab skills. Just tring to locate parts if we decide to buy it back. The headlight housing seems to be harder to find used than I thought. What's everybody's thoughts let it go and replace it or fix it. Hate to let it go there aren't very many left as is. If we decide to let it go I'll be looking for another one if someone has something. Thnks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd let it go. That looks like serious structural damage. Great parts car though if you can get it cheap.

Moparnut88

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2011 golf
I'm gonna try to get it back cheap. I bought this car with an extra engine as well. Was planning on keeping it a long time.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I don't think there is any reason to bring that, or really any CR, back from the dead. They aren't rare and are only a small part of an already niche market. If it has a stick that opens up your options for replacement since you won't have to worry about finding a stick in your trim/color/price range.

If I was in your situation, I'd sell off both engines, part the car if you have the time/guts/desire, take the insurance payout, and then buy a 2015. It all depends on the numbers, but you should be able to come out of this in pretty good shape long term.

Moparnut88

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2011 golf
I don't think there is any reason to bring that, or really any CR, back from the dead. They aren't rare and are only a small part of an already niche market. If it has a stick that opens up your options for replacement since you won't have to worry about finding a stick in your trim/color/price range.

If I was in your situation, I'd sell off both engines, part the car if you have the time/guts/desire, take the insurance payout, and then buy a 2015. It all depends on the numbers, but you should be able to come out of this in pretty good shape long term.
I've been looking at a few 15 models what are the differences on the 15 vs the 11 is it just the def?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
The differences between my 2012 and 2015 wagon from a driver's perspective:
1. Different motor: 2015 has slightly more power; perhaps some of the rough edges of the earlier gen have been ironed out
2. DEF: seems relatively inexpensive, seems to need about $10 of DEF around every oil change
3. Inverted oil filter: 2015 needs to be changed from the bottom instead of from the top like the 2012; slightly messier job

Inside:
Updated ICE (faster nav, rear view camera, aesthetics), in-car phone mic has less wind noise, my 2015 SEL blows away the JSW interior with the ambient lighting and other creature comforts like the console...nothing major. Only downgrade was the passenger seat is all manual as compared to my JSW with both electronic seats.

That's the stuff off the top of my head.

I was able to pick my buddy up a Golf with just shy of 75K, didn't know it had the lighting and tech package until after we were driving home with it and I caught a glimpse of his lights tracking as he was driving behind me. I was a bit jealous since I always wanted a night blue golf with lighting/tech package, but it was an SE vs. my SEL (so didn't have KESSY) and I needed to decide on the wagon for the family (I had found both cars for myself and then told my buddy this was too good a deal to pass up so he grabbed the Golf). I think I got him that golf for about 11-12K out the door. I'm thinking that number isn't too far off from what you're talking over with your insurance co? I used car-gurus to find the cars.

One thing to keep in mind, they need to get you back into a car of like condition for same value. That means, even if you paid $600 for your car they may need to pay you $6,000. And even if their version of KBB tells them it's "worth" $6K, if every car around you in a 500m radius is selling for $12K, that's what they need to cut a check for to get you back on the road. Obviously there will be some smoothing of edges in discussions, but that's the gist of it. You'll need to have a binder with current and recent sales data for them to adjust their numbers in line with market realities.

pcoplin

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Is that an R? Or did you swap the grill?

If it's an R I would definitely buy that back, use it for a JSW swap. :)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've been looking at a few 15 models what are the differences on the 15 vs the 11 is it just the def?

It's a completely different generation of platform. '15 is mk7 vs. your mk6. In addition to the differences bizzle mentioned, the mk7 golf and gsw tdi's don't have independent rear suspension.

Moparnut88

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2011 golf
It's a completely different generation of platform. '15 is mk7 vs. your mk6. In addition to the differences bizzle mentioned, the mk7 golf and gsw tdi's don't have independent rear suspension.
I wonder how the non independent rear rides and handles? I'm gonna have to do some more research on the mk7 then!

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I’m not sure about the MK7, but I know that people have swapped the rear suspension on the MK6 to get rid of the torsion bar.

Moparnut88

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2011 golf
Well heard from the insurance adjust yesterday said total which I figured. $8600 in damages. Suppose to hear back today on what they are gonna offer and what buyback would be. I'm really liking the mk7 features. My car had leather seats upgraded and I'm having a hard time finding a mk6 with leather. Might end up with a mk7.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wonder how the non independent rear rides and handles? I'm gonna have to do some more research on the mk7 then!

I haven't driven one, but you probably wouldn't notice any difference 99% of the time. But it is a significant change that was made.

Moparnut88

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2011 golf
I've found a 12 mk6 I like but gonna have to upgrade the seats to leather. And found a nice 15 but I think hes at the higher price point. What is everybody's thoughts on the '15 models as far as long term parts and availability since there prlly wont be any more brought into the states? These are the 2 I've found. I'm leaning towards the black '12 right now.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The price on that '15 is way high. A bit high on the '12 as well. I've been seeing nice mk6's in the $10k and less range.

Moparnut88

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2011 golf
I wish I could find a mk6 with the tech package to replace mine for that. I got the buyback price today on mine they r gonna let me have it for around $1083. I'm thinkn immgonna keep it for parts if nothing else my leather seats.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
You should do ok parting it out for that price.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
There are a number of technological improvements on the EA288 that make it desirable and a few that make it a curio. Stuff like the integral manifolds and oil bath timing belt are interesting improvements, the three electrical water pumps give me pause.

With the new engines you'll have new parts available on the shelf for longer, as they're required to keep spares on hand for 10 years after the end of production. So, the CJAA (EA189) engines only have until 2025 when parts will potentially start to go NLA.

Personally speaking, the technological improvements with the EA288 are very intriguing and I like the ergonomics of the interior and exterior design better. If a guy wanted to do a turbo back exhaust and upgraded tune with EGR/DPF delete the adblue tank could be a really handy integral water-meth storage tank for more power.

Moparnut88

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2011 golf
There are a number of technological improvements on the EA288 that make it desirable and a few that make it a curio. Stuff like the integral manifolds and oil bath timing belt are interesting improvements, the three electrical water pumps give me pause.

With the new engines you'll have new parts available on the shelf for longer, as they're required to keep spares on hand for 10 years after the end of production. So, the CJAA (EA189) engines only have until 2025 when parts will potentially start to go NLA.

Personally speaking, the technological improvements with the EA288 are very intriguing and I like the ergonomics of the interior and exterior design better. If a guy wanted to do a turbo back exhaust and upgraded tune with EGR/DPF delete the adblue tank could be a really handy integral water-meth storage tank for more power.
Well to be honest I like the 15 better myself but dont really like the idea of all the electronic controlled items such as the water pump. Sounds like problems just waiting to happen. And I'm not sure about a 1yr only in the states model that's the main 2 reasons I was leaning towards the mk6 just for available parts long term. Warranty wont mean much to me for long. So I will service and repair my own.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
There is much less less cabin noise in the 2015 as compared to my 2012.

The IRS can't be fitted into the 2015 because the reason it was changed was to make room for all the DEF equipment. Of course, with enough time and money thrown at a problem anything is likely possible but to what end? I can't tell a difference between the two for what I do with the vehicle (driving on the freeway and steering clear of potholes in the city regardless of suspension type).

BTW, I don't think it's a straight axle like with wheels bolted on (like a trailer) as the label everyone is using implies. I believe the '15s have semi-trailing arms, which is a form of independent suspension. You'd know right away if you were driving on solid axles...you'd hit a bump and the whole ass end would lift up! :D

This strikes me as one of those features people fuss over simply because they're "better."

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Well to be honest I like the 15 better myself but dont really like the idea of all the electronic controlled items such as the water pump. Sounds like problems just waiting to happen. And I'm not sure about a 1yr only in the states model that's the main 2 reasons I was leaning towards the mk6 just for available parts long term. Warranty wont mean much to me for long. So I will service and repair my own.

If warranty doesn't mean much to you, don't buy the $19K model. Mine was about $5K less than that but the unlimited mileage warranty means it's a NOS or CPO and that is worth something to some.

If it had tech/lighting package that's worth about $4K on the market from my research, but I didn't see if that particular one had it. Mine did not have either and I did see a CPO with them for around $17K price about a year ago; I almost swapped but it was going to be a royal pain since I had just finalized the one I bought and already tinted the windows, did all the service, etc. The $19K isn't out of line for what it's offering (2 year bumper to bumper and unlimited mileage dieselgate warranty).

I'm a strong proponent of the 2015s as you can tell :)

Moparnut88

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2011 golf
If warranty doesn't mean much to you, don't buy the $19K model. Mine was about $5K less than that but the unlimited mileage warranty means it's a NOS or CPO and that is worth something to some.

If it had tech/lighting package that's worth about $4K on the market from my research, but I didn't see if that particular one had it. Mine did not have either and I did see a CPO with them for around $17K price about a year ago; I almost swapped but it was going to be a royal pain since I had just finalized the one I bought and already tinted the windows, did all the service, etc. The $19K isn't out of line for what it's offering (2 year bumper to bumper and unlimited mileage dieselgate warranty).

I'm a strong proponent of the 2015s as you can tell :)
Ok now your starting to sway a little towards the 15s again. Lol. That red one is exactly what I'm wanting. Tbh I'm just not really excited about all the electronic crap it has extra. And what are parts gonna be like to get in 10-15years. Will there be aftermarket support?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
There will be more aftermarket support for the 15s than the '09-14s. There are lots of these around both in the US and even more globally. They aren't rare vehicles by any measure and VW has already demonstrated that they (VW) aren't going anywhere.

The 2015 is a much more refined powertrain...they had years to address the niggles. For example, I'm much less worried about the electronic crap than the HPFP.

One caveat is that I moved from a JSW to a GSW, so I got an entirely different chassis. I don't know the ins and outs of the Golf platform so I can't really speak to the differences between the -14s and the MBQ. But you already know the award winning Golf platform for many years.

BTW, are you worried about powertrain stuff or body panels? We share everything with the gassers except the TDI stuff, most of which is covered under the diesel gate warranty (and in the case of the CPO it's unlimited mileage). I don't know how far in the future you're projecting owning this car or what kinds of issues will arise, but parts will be available and gurus will still be around...there will still be a whole new generation of gurus when the old guard retires :)

My bottom line is if you're worried about the 2015, you should be more worried about the 09-14s. And if you're worried about both, you should be worried about diesel in general. And if you're worried about diesel in general, then we should be talking about getting you into a GTI (or Mazda or whatever people do when they leave the dieselclub). *But* if the GTI doesn't appeal to you, we should loop right back around to the 2015 TDI.

Moparnut88

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2011 golf
There will be more aftermarket support for the 15s than the '09-14s. There are lots of these around both in the US and even more globally. They aren't rare vehicles by any measure and VW has already demonstrated that they (VW) aren't going anywhere.

The 2015 is a much more refined powertrain...they had years to address the niggles. For example, I'm much less worried about the electronic crap than the HPFP.

One caveat is that I moved from a JSW to a GSW, so I got an entirely different chassis. I don't know the ins and outs of the Golf platform so I can't really speak to the differences between the -14s and the MBQ. But you already know the award winning Golf platform for many years.

BTW, are you worried about powertrain stuff or body panels? We share everything with the gassers except the TDI stuff, most of which is covered under the diesel gate warranty (and in the case of the CPO it's unlimited mileage). I don't know how far in the future you're projecting owning this car or what kinds of issues will arise, but parts will be available and gurus will still be around...there will still be a whole new generation of gurus when the old guard retires :)

My bottom line is if you're worried about the 2015, you should be more worried about the 09-14s. And if you're worried about both, you should be worried about diesel in general. And if you're worried about diesel in general, then we should be talking about getting you into a GTI (or Mazda or whatever people do when they leave the dieselclub). *But* if the GTI doesn't appeal to you, we should loop right back around to the 2015 TDI.
Sounds good! I'm looking long term on this car. I'd like to see 500k on it I drive almost all interstate. 500+/wk min. And at some point the "stuff" with have to fall off of it and a good tune installed.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you do grab a mk6, you've already got a spare motor, and possibly an entire parts car. I did drive a mk7 gti several weeks ago and it felt very comparable to my mk6 golf tdi on sport springs. The gti does have IRS rather than a twist beam axle though. If you ever want the extreme negative camber "stance" look, the twist beam won't work, lol.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
My plan is to get the DSG tune (which isn't part of the ECU and shouldn't impact any warranty...my DSG is no longer under warranty anyway) and then an ECU tune in about 100K miles when the warranty is up.

I'm tempted to do a tune earlier, but I just keep throwing money at my bug to keep me satisfied while the daddy wagon hauls the kids around. This is very much a family car for us and I intend to keep it that way for the time being. A very nice, comfortable, roomy, silent-ish family wagon. Little different usage than a golf, though, you might be looking for a hot hatch.

Let's widen the lens a little: what is the likelihood of you being able to handle an engine swap (time, tools, expertise)? I don't know how much they're giving you, but if it's say anywhere from $7K-12K, that is a lot to play with (if the loan is satisfied). If you found a similar year golf with a blown motor, drop that one in it, change to a racing clutch package while you're in there, drop a few grand on turbo/nozzles/tune you might end up with money in your pocket *and* that hot hatch you seem to be wanting.

Moparnut88

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2011 golf
My plan is to get the DSG tune (which isn't part of the ECU and shouldn't impact any warranty...my DSG is no longer under warranty anyway) and then an ECU tune in about 100K miles when the warranty is up.

I'm tempted to do a tune earlier, but I just keep throwing money at my bug to keep me satisfied while the daddy wagon hauls the kids around. This is very much a family car for us and I intend to keep it that way for the time being. A very nice, comfortable, roomy, silent-ish family wagon. Little different usage than a golf, though, you might be looking for a hot hatch.

Let's widen the lens a little: what is the likelihood of you being able to handle an engine swap (time, tools, expertise)? I don't know how much they're giving you, but if it's say anywhere from $7K-12K, that is a lot to play with (if the loan is satisfied). If you found a similar year golf with a blown motor, drop that one in it, change to a racing clutch package while you're in there, drop a few grand on turbo/nozzles/tune you might end up with money in your pocket *and* that hot hatch you seem to be wanting.
I own and operate a full service mechanic shop and have all the tools required. And at this point I'm really leaning towards the mk7. But I'd much rather spend less and have extra parts with the mk6. The only thing that the mk6 doesnt have that I wanted is leather and rear view camera. Both of which can be easily remedied. Now I thought I read somewhere that the mk6 was built in Germany and the mk7 was now built in Mexico is that correct?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, the mk6 golfs were made in Wolfsburg. The mk7 is made in Puebla, Mexico. I don't know that it really makes much difference, but I liked having mine made in Wolfsburg.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
The made in Germany thing was back in the aircooled days when there was inferior bugs/ parts being made in Brazil. They were about 1/2 the price and 1/4 the quality. May no longer be relevant, since the mexican assembly is a quality par with Germany, and they get the same chinese parts.