Garrett doesn't Support its turbos?

thompsoncustom

TDI
bora
Well been having some problems with my turbo so I pulled it and found it needs a new turbine and heat shield. Problems is I couldn't find any part for my GT17, so I emailed garret and comes to find out they don't sell any parts for it

model: GT17
P/N: 778445-5002S

Here is the response I got from them.

"I received your inquiry and I am able to help with your issue below. I’ll have to confirm with Garrett if they sell individual components for your turbo, however I can sell you brand new turbo P/N 778445-5002S"

Next email

"Unfortunately Garrett confirmed individual components are not available for this turbocharger.

As stated, I am able to sell you a complete turbocharger if needed. We have them in stock.

Thank you,
Jason"

Well I never figured garrett won't sell parts for a turbo they sold. So I guess my question is what do you guys think would be a better replacement for me since this one can't be rebuilt. Car is a 02 Bora, Straight pipe exhaust, PP764, injectors, tune. Thanks Dan

Iwcham

Veteran Member
TDI
golf,2003, grey-metalic
Buy new Melett turbo. They are quality stuff... Or have yours reconditioned using Malett parts. New Malett GT1749VB is £370.

Sent from my HTC Desire 526G dual sim using Tapatalk

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
you are in iowa it is not a bora, it is a golf or jetta or maybe passat, who knows

measure your old parts,
buy taiwanese parts off ebay
do bearings every 10k miles because balancing tiny turbos that spin 150k rpm without a vsr machine is hard as dick

thompsoncustom

TDI
bora
Car came out of mexico according to the vin. Ya tired to order parts based off of the measurements from places like turbo international but no luck there either.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Garrett does not sell parts for the stock turbo and never did. They state they are not rebuildable and should be replaced as a unit. Reason for this is that the stock turbo is assembly balanced, not component balanced. This means if you try to remove one of the turbo wheels it will be out of balance and you need an expensive VSR machine to get it balanced again.

Any rebuilt stock turbos you can find use aftermarket parts.

thompsoncustom

TDI
bora
Built in Mexico or imported from Mexico? I thought they were called Classicos or somthing like that in Mexico.
I'm not sure I just assumed made in mexico but I'd have to look it up, says bora on the back so I never gave it much thought. Anyway to tell easily if it's a bora and not a jetta (is there really any difference)?

Garrett does not sell parts for the stock turbo and never did. They state they are not rebuildable and should be replaced as a unit. Reason for this is that the stock turbo is assembly balanced, not component balanced. This means if you try to remove one of the turbo wheels it will be out of balance and you need an expensive VSR machine to get it balanced again.
ya that's really to bad when I buy something from a company I like to also be able to buy parts from them if there's ever a problem not just nope sorry your out of luck but we can sell you a new one.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Right or wrong, Garrett had determined that variable vane turbos are not repairable in most situations (tools and equipment) and fail early when repaired. So they've decided not to sell parts for their variable vane turbos. They do sell parts for wastegate turbos. The exception is they do sell vacuum actuators for many turbos. Borg-Warner does the same thing.

Both companies rebuild turbos in controlled settings for resale, primarily through VW dealers. If you buy a turbo at a dealer, odds are it'll be a reman. Ironically, they usually cost more than a new turbo in the aftermarket.

It's an artifact of the technology that the turbo needs to be replaced when it breaks. Not unusual these days, unfortunately. But they do it not simply to force you to buy a new turbo, but because it's likely if you repaired it the repair wouldn't last.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The last time I checked the place that rebuilt and upgraded my turbo (Turbo lab of America) the cost to rebuild a vnt-15 was less than $200.00; that price did not include return shipping.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I once got on the phone with a guy names "Chris" from Garrett, total JACK A**
I simply wanted more info on the gt2052 and the oil requirements. NO HELP, i wrote them, called, emailed etc... same response, BUY OUR CRAP, if it breaks, BUY ANOTHER ONE, hope it breaks so we can sell more crap.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If it's the Chris I know at Garrett in their performance group, he's a nice guy. Former TDI owner, too. Perhaps you were asking him questions that he couldn't answer. Oil requirements are usually dictated by the car manufacturer, not the turbo maker.

Although they're expensive, turbos are a wear item on modern cars, just like alternators, starters, A/C compressors, nav systems...you name it. Turbos meet pretty incredible performance standards in difficult conditions (dirty, cold, heat). And when they fail, manufacturers have learned the most reliable approach is to replace, not repair.

They've also gotten cheaper. 12 years ago a VNT-15 was close to $1,000 in the aftermarket. Right now we have them for $799. And those are smaller dollars than in 2007.

Normally aspirated gasoline engines are going away. NA diesels are long gone. We get great benefits from turbocharging diesels. Maintenance and component replacement is the cost.