Is Volkswagen fixing the Mk V cars for resale as CPOs?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Turned in my '09 Jetta 6MT on 10/25

While I was at the dealership, there was a MINT '09 JSG DSG with 30K miles on it. This thing looked brand new.

The sales guy said that the guy who turned it in was elderly and disabled so it only had very light use.

I told the sales guy that I wanted to buy that JSW but he said VW wouldn't let the dealership buy it.

Is this true? Or did he sell it to someone else or buy it himself?

He texted me this weekend and said "the wagon is now available". I got all excited and asked to see the carfax, but it was a 2011 in the same color with 100k miles. I told him that's not the car I wanted. I think he tried a bait and switch on me! What a douchebag!

Anyway have any of you seen an Mk V fixed and being sold as a CPO?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
VW is only certifying 2011 and up TDIs, rule is usually 6 model years, but they are allowing 1 more year for the TDIs.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
VW is only certifying 2011 and up TDIs, rule is usually 6 model years, but they are allowing 1 more year for the TDIs.
Well the 2019s are out and have been for awhile so I guess their allowing for 2 more years.

So what are they gonna do with this beautiful 2009 wagon? Just crush it or ?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

I fear that with an '09 TDI the more likely answer is crusher not auction. To do the "fix" on an '09 they have to replace the DPF as well as the LNT (because they were one piece in '09), therefore it is much more expensive to fix an '09 than a 2010+ TDI.

Have Fun!

Don

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
My 2010 was crushed, it also had 140K on it. My only guess is if they have crazy low miles and the owner did the fix then dumped the car outside the VW buyback process would a dealer snag one up to resell.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I don't know but the same dealership that sold me my 2013 and that it was delivered back to on the buyback keeps sending me letters about it being behind on its maintenance? Their own letter said that it was currently registered with an Alabama salvage title while I live in Mississippi.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Most of the cars going to the crusher are 2009s, at least if the junkyard across the street from my work is any indication.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
What about 2010s? My local dealer has a Laser Blue TDI Cup Edition that is involved in the buyback. One of the 187 that were made. I'd hate for it to end up being crushed... :(

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
I would be surprised if they fix any of those. At this point they are just nine year old used cars, by the numbers. The only ones likely to remain on the road are ones that people keep and have the fix done on.

barrydc

TDI
2010 JSW 6MT White Gold Cornsilk pano
What about 2010s? My local dealer has a Laser Blue TDI Cup Edition that is involved in the buyback. One of the 187 that were made. I'd hate for it to end up being crushed... :(
Just turned in my ‘10 JSW (not TDI Cup) and the rep said it was likely to get crushed even with relatively low mileage and in good condition.