Unable to reset adblue warning

murray8144

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI 6M
git the low adblue warning the other day. Said I had 200 miles or so before the engine would not start. Bought 2 large containers of adblue from the stealership and filled up the tank.

I read on the forums (this and others) that either the sensor would reset itself or I could perform a hard reset by turning the ignition ti run for 20 seconds to a minute.

Neither of these techniques has worked so I have two questions. One, is there some other process to reset the warning. Two, if the tank is full but the sensor thinks it's empty, will that still lock my car out of starting?

Thanks all

murray8144

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI 6M
well after a little more research I now believe that I have a problem with my sensor. the warning message should have come on at 1,500 miles, not 250 or 200. those that reported that their message came on at 200 miles had sensor issues. bummer.

stephane

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Yes, its most likely a Nox sensor problem. You can try to pull the sensor and clean following instruction found here or you can replace it.

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?2617-2012-VW-Passat-Adblue-reset&p=28132#post28132

If you have VCDS or someone you know has one, look at the error codes and it will probably point you in the right direction...

Cost is about $340 from vwpartsnation.com...the stealership will try to charge you $1000+ for the part plus labour. I tried cleaning mine but it didn't work.

Hope this helps.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
When you say, "two large bottles" are you talking about 2 of the 2.5 gallon jugs or two of the .5 gallon Kruse jugs?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We got the same AdBlue warning "your car won't restart in 200 miles." This is NOT an AdBlue warning. The true AdBlue warning should come much earlier, about 1500 miles. The warning in our car was a bad NOx sensor, replaced under warranty.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Might I suggest a forced regeneration? It will hurt nothing and may well eliminate the issue.

My reasoning? I had this happen on my "14 SE. All of the sudden the CEL accompanied by the DEF warning and 200 miles before a no start. Long story short a call to VW Roadside. Car was transported to the dealer where they forced a regen. No other issues were found. Over 10k miles have passed without any further problems.

Once again... VagCom will be your friend. Just remember that VagCom quite often leads you toward a problem but doesn't often provide a solution.