At my 20K Service Right Now.... Question

jmullane

TDI
2011 SportWagen
2011 JSW... I'm sitting at the dealer waiting for my 20K service to complete. He told me that I had two recalls;

1.) Fuel Line Check and Install Dampeners
2.) DSG Software Update

I'm also getting an alignment which was promised to me at the 10K but they ran out of time and hopefully this will correct a steering wheel alignment issue. They are checking for a rattle under the dash on the passenger side that has been annoying the heck out of me but for some reason it stopped yesterday. I found a plastic "clamp" on the floor (drivers side) that appeared one morning and they will see if it fell off of something.

I asked the tech if they replace the fuel filter at 20K and he said "yes". I asked if they will look for any metal shavings and he said they will inspect everything but if I'm concerned about the HPFP the pump is after the fuel filter and nothing would show up. True? Anything else I should have them look at? I'll be here at least three hours. Thanks.

geodug

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Good luck with the service but one thing they told you is not correct.

Yes the HPFP is after the fuel filter but the important thing to know is that the fuel system is recirculatory. Much fuel is returned to the fuel tank after the HPFP and circulates throughout the system repeatedly.

That is why any problem in the fuel system affects every component in the loop.

You should try and witness the opening of the fuel filter and take photos with your cell phone or whatever if there is anything there. If they will let you take the old filter with you that would be good too.

Of course, ideally you should see them actually filling your oil with VW 507.00 spec oil and let you take the half-litre extra bottle with you for topping off.

jmullane

TDI
2011 SportWagen
If they will let you take the old filter with you that would be good too.
Funny, they had me initial some paperwork that stated I did not want my "old" parts back. I'll ask.... Thank you very much for the quick response and great information.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Find another dealer you trust and who knows something about diesels. Obviously, they know nothing about diesels and have never received any training from VW.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
wow, thats pretty harsh, even for all the dealer hate here.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
@ OP ... I would stick with freehold VW if I were you .... I think you may have jumped the gun a bit with the oil change suspicion , they are pretty good IMHO ! Best of luck .

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
Hopefully it's a damper and not a dampener.
Sorry to put a damper on your post, but either term is correct, although damper is more commonly used.

In fact, the actual VW recall notice uses dampener:

Affected vehicles will have vibration dampeners installed on all
four fuel injection lines....

Last edited:

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
That doesn't mean VW is correct with the word.
Look up "vibration dampener".

They're devices commonly used in hunting bows and tennis racquets.

"Dampen" can also mean "deaden", as in deadening vibration.

Last edited:

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
Of course, ideally you should see them actually filling your oil with VW 507.00 spec oil and let you take the half-litre extra bottle with you for topping off.
Requesting that remaining half liter should be a given for people to do IMO. It accomplishes 3 things for you without coming across as some crazy customer to them.

1) Clues you in to how knowledgeable the service writers are anyways to CR TDI's. Depending on the answer they give, you will know if at least the service writer knows whats up. If they tell you it only comes in bulk or say anything else that sends up flags that they dont know what these cars require, you then know you need to get more involved to make sure they use the right stuff. If they know what you are asking of them and convey they know what they are doing (to you, they always talk like they know what they are doing of course), then at least half the battle is won. Granted this is the service advisor and not the actual tech which is far more ideal, but if at least the service advisor knows what the car needs and for some reason the tech puts in wrong bulk oil, it shouldnt be near as uphill of a battle to get it corrected.

2) Lets you know the tech used the correct oil. Chances are slim to none that they are gunna fill with the wrong bulk oil then find some random half full bottle of 507 to throw in the trunk.

3) Lets you know that they put the correct amount into the car.

All it takes is a simple 'hey, I understand the 507 spec oil these cars require only come in bottles, so can I keep that remaining .5L in case I need some for top offs?' If they do that for you, there isnt any need to request watching the tech like a hawk