Help! Thermostat leaking.

wndboy

TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9 ALH
Emergency guys. Leaving on trip to Houston Tomorrow. I've another post here regarding this but wanted to start a new thread because its not really regarding fuel economy. Ok. I am in the process of re installing the thermostat back on my vehicle. The way I understand the process.., the thermostat gets mounted to the plastic goosneck via the two tabs inside the plastic pipe with the o ring in between (sandwish)(and torgue to 11 Ft pounds right? I done this and still get coolent leaking from below the thermosta housing assymble. Ive redone the process 3 times. Sugestions please

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Are you re-using the old plastic thermostat holder/input neck? They tend to warp over time can be hard to get to seal a 2nd time... (they only cost about $7, so many people just get new ones...)

Did you clean the mating surface on the block with a plastic Brillo pad? You really need to get rid of all the old surface imperfections so that the (new!!!) "O" ring can have a chance at sealing the joint... (if you're re-using the plastic neck, the same goes for cleaning the surface there...)

Yuri

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Are you re-using the old plastic thermostat holder/input neck? They tend to warp over time can be hard to get to seal a 2nd time... (they only cost about $7, so many people just get new ones...)

Did you clean the mating surface on the block with a plastic Brillo pad? You really need to get rid of all the old surface imperfections so that the (new!!!) "O" ring can have a chance at sealing the joint... (if you're re-using the plastic neck, the same goes for cleaning the surface there...)

Yuri
x2
also, MoGolf has a thread on here somewhere describing in detail the fitment of the tabbed gasket/thermostat

wndboy

TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9 ALH
x2
also, MoGolf has a thread on here somewhere describing in detail the fitment of the tabbed gasket/thermostat
Can you please help me find your post. You have so many post haere. Or just tell me the detailed fitment. Did I install the thermostat correctly?

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
Can you please help me find your post. You have so many post haere. Or just tell me the detailed fitment. Did I install the thermostat correctly?

Sorry if this sounds like a basic question, but did you for sure get the old thermostat gasket/O ring out of there when it was replaced? Sometimes they can get rather stuck in there. Like mentioned above, verify seal is removed, and gently clean the area to make sure it will seal. Also, when I assemble mine(tabs broken on my coolant flange) I put the T-stat in the block first, apply some dielectric grease on the "O" ring and stick it onto the coolant flange(the dielectric grease holds in in place temporarily) , and put the coolant flange/O ring gently back on the car over top of the T-stat and hold it still while inserting the two bolts. It's a little awkward due to the location of things, but take your time and you will get it. Also like mentioned above, the coolant flanges have been known to warp a bit.

BTW, the O ring doesn't get sanwiched between the housing and the T-stat. It actually fits into a plastic outside groove on the T-stat housing and pushes against the T-stat/block area both holding the T-stat tightly against the block, and also sealing the flange to the block. Hope this all makes sense.

Last edited:

wndboy

TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9 ALH
Thermostat Gasket??? Is this gasket between the thermostat and engine block? Anyhow I did not not have one there. According to the pics and the IPB at the dealership, the thermostat seats directly to the engine block. Thanks for the comment regarding the sandwished o ring. It was a mis said word. It goes on the grove like you said. BTW on another issue regarding the cooling system. I read that the temp sensor on these TDI's can be different colors. ei Green, Whitedand yellow I think. I was looking at possible buying on at the Dealership and they said I had to remove the sensor of my car to see what color it was so that they could get me the right one. What if an incorrect color sensor was installed before I bought the car. How do I know which is the correct one. Thanks

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
Thermostat Gasket??? Is this gasket between the thermostat and engine block? Anyhow I did not not have one there. According to the pics and the IPB at the dealership, the thermostat seats directly to the engine block. Thanks for the comment regarding the sandwished o ring. It was a mis said word. It goes on the grove like you said. BTW on another issue regarding the cooling system. I read that the temp sensor on these TDI's can be different colors. ei Green, Whitedand yellow I think. I was looking at possible buying on at the Dealership and they said I had to remove the sensor of my car to see what color it was so that they could get me the right one. What if an incorrect color sensor was installed before I bought the car. How do I know which is the correct one. Thanks

Sorry, the thermostat gasket, and the O ring are the same thing. I will edit the post for clarification. Also, since you are going on a trip tommorrow, you may want to hold off on the coolant temp sensor. Some folks(like me) have had issues with it popping out on them shortly after replacement. Getting them in there corectly, and getting the plastic retaining clip just right can be a real bugger. I wouldn't push your luck so close to trip time :)

Last edited:

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks everyone, as always your inputs helped me fix the problem. No leaks...Hurray

Nice work-......Now what am I going to do with that You Tube video I just made?...... :D I'll post it here anyhow for others to enjoy!